* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone use Wikipedia to market their product?

I'm curious if anyone has used Wikipedia to market their product by writing a product article, including it in the external links of related article, writing a article about a topic and referencing the product or some other means.
eft
Thursday, January 15, 2009

We have recently added a simple external link in a related article. This single link generates 2% of our site traffic. Conversion rate is much lower than site average though (-75%) so it is not that useful. Having a full article might be better (or not).

Why don't you try it and let us know your experience.
B2B

> B2B

The benefit isn't from the traffic from wikipedia it's the SEO benefit that a link from wikipedia has, you'll surely rank better for having it.
Jay Bee

Actually, Wikipedia will consider this as spam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spam

Articles considered advertisements include those that are solicitations for a business, product or service, or are public relations pieces designed to promote a company or individual. Wikispam articles are usually noted for sales-oriented language and external links to a commercial website. However, a differentiation should be made between spam articles and legitimate articles about commercial entities.

I think that there's a middle ground where you can describe your product in a neutral way, but obviously they disagree. I suspect that if you create an article that is language neutral, they won't remove it. Better yet, get a happy customer to do it for you.

Also, you don't get any SEO from links on wikipedia since the links there are nofollow
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/all-wikipedia-links-are-now-nofollow/4288/
Dror Send private email

Dror, the Wikipedia is full of articles about commercial products let alone external links.

Also, I honestly believe having articles about commercial products in Wikipedia is actually a good thing. Wikipedia articles tend to be more neutral in tonality and contain less marketing gibberish. I often find it more useful to look up a product or company on Wikipedia than to read 'official' information on company web site.
B2B

I see articles & portions of articles all the time on Wikipedia that looked like they were copied from a press release.  My advice is: don't do it.

People these days can spot marketing material a mile away.  The younger the audience, the more talented they are in spotting it.  You'll probably cause more ill feelings than interest in your product.
xampl

If you're brave, I'd say: go ahead and try, keep it short and neutral, and add a blank section of Pros and Cons.

After others contribute, it might serve to educate you about your own product, and how it is perceived by potential customers.
Adriano Ferrari Send private email

Wikipedia doesn't prohibit articles about commercial products, they prohibit your writing articles about your products for marketing purposes. In other words, if I write or edit an article about google search it's fine, but if I write about my company's product in order to promote it, it's not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Your_first_article

On the other hand if you write a factual article about your products I imagine that it's OK, but there's also a notability requirement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:N. In other words, the product needs to have been out in the public for a while and mentioned by third party sources.
Dror Send private email
Friday, January 16, 2009

You might also fall foul of the 'notability' rules; in fact this could be an area where MicroISVs are at a real disadvantage. The Wikipedia Gods may deem Microsoft Office 'notable' enough to have an article about, but what about MyNewTaskList 3.0?
Smiley Send private email
Friday, January 16, 2009

Start small. Write a very short article: "Product A, created by company B, helps you do C, and sells for $X. Home page URL."

Now, there is a good chance that there is already an article "List of products that help you do C". You can add your product A to it. Otherwise, you can create that list yourself.

Then, find articles that link to articles about your (big) competitors. Those links would in some cases form lists (e.g. commercial/free/open source). Add a link to your product article to the relevant lists, and a link to your product home page to External Links.

Then, link to your content. If you have on your Web site an article about C (a general one, not about how to do it with your product A), link to it from the Wikipedia article on C.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Friday, January 16, 2009

Don't bother, the fascists at WP will delete your article almost immediately and you will just end up feeling angry and frustrated. Even a single external link is removed very quickly. Your efforts are better spent elsewhere
Ha
Friday, January 16, 2009

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Obviously, one would have to play by the Wikipedia rules but an approach similar to Dmitry's sounds like it has potential.  If I try it I'll report back on the outcome.
eft
Friday, January 16, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics