* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is there a market for scripts?

I am not a programmer, but a sys admin. Over the years, I have written / (got someone else to write) several useful scripts to monitor my servers and intranet web sites.

I think many of these (ot atleast some of these) scripts can be useful for small businesses / programmers etc.

Is there a market for "scripts"? Do people pay for scripts?
veteran sysadmin
Thursday, August 28, 2008

Can they be run without alteration on other systems.  If the user needs to edit them, then I'd say not.

There is definitely a market for monitoring software -- there are also free alternatives.  You have to think about why your product is better/different from those.  Is there a specific market that it's specifically useful for?

For something like this -- I think trying to make your scripts perfect for a specific application might help you get noticed -- for example -- is there a way to integrate it into the UI of the software that it monitors?  Then I wouldn't think of it as a script, but instead, as an add-on.
Lou Send private email

probably not. the kind of people who would buy them tend to be able to write them themselves and would because they probably wouldn't be able to okay the budget to buy them.

And the entire point of scripts is to solve custom problems. Your script library probably solves custom problems.

That said, if you can hook adwords up to a specific problem being googled (probably quite cheap) and it's a problem that you might get some sysadmin impulse buys for $10 or $15 or something. You're not going to make any real money though.

Alternatively, if all of the things your scripts solve fit in a cohesive problem space, you could package them up and sell the package.
Colm

your problem is that you've created a product that will be used by people who don't have purchasing power. the people who have purchasing power probably wouldn't think to buy your scripts.
Colm

+1 to Colm.

Put the scripts in a website, with a forum and Google Ads.

Other sysadmins should be able to ask questions about the scripts or post mods so other sysadmins can use modded scripts.

Hopefully you will create a small community.
edddy Send private email

perhaps you could create a simple GUI for that script, just like nmap.

You should check the Sitepoint marketplace. There is a subcategory for scripts and software. Keep in mind that most of these scripts are php and blog platform plug-ins designed for site developers, but you may be able to find a niche if you package them nicely.

I have written my own scripts for monitoring, but sometimes it's nice to drop $15 on something that saves me 2 hours. And there are tons of site builders out there with no background in development.
Aaron Send private email

Yes! You can run a small online business selling your scripts. Im pulling in decent money from my website scripts and products right now - Http://www.GiantIsland.com/

Its all about packaging and features and wrapping your web or network scripts around a brand, a fully functional application or process, and something that stands by itself which people can install easily on their network servers and PC's. People who are looking for scripts are also looking for really robust scripting features and will pay for things that save them lots of time trying to build it themselves. But its more about complete product and overall script solutions rather than scripts by themselves....thatsd the difference between a viable product for business and something some kid downloads from a script library oline for a side product. You have to look at the overal solution your scripts provide and build a complete solition that scratches an itch.

You also have to target groups beyond other admins and developers, as it is true, these people are generally smart enough to build most of this stuff themselves. Often developers build a business around stuff sold to fellow developers, which to me narrows your market and does not deliver packaged time-saving solutions that people will gladly pay for. But there are lots of small business  people and individuals that are looking for quick time-saving solutions and web products that deliver value, not code, if that makes sense. Thats the difference. You need to get past the idea of "scripts" as well...thats a develoepr or engineering concept, not a business one. Make sense? People download code and scripts...people pay for solutions. There is a difference.

Just remember...scripts can be sold like anything else....as anything that saves people time and people could use in their business to make money, will make money for you online.

Its also about marketing. You can have your scripts in 1000 site links but if its the wrong market or people dont stay and visit your site, you wont get any business. So, there is allot of work in marketing and search and branding that you have to slowly implement before people will shell out money for scripts and software online.

Im my case, I sell website application, which are basically considered by many to be "scripts". Http://www.GiantIsland.com/
Gemini
Friday, August 29, 2008

My buddy's company sells, as one product, configuration scripts for a variety of hardware devices the customer has.  These are glorified batch files, sometimes with a GUI stuck on.  They are some of the costliest lines of code I've ever heard of in my life ;)
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Friday, August 29, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics