* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Question on Joel's E71 phone

I found Joel's post about the E71 very interesting but I have a question.  Joel's 3rd important point was

"I needed great Exchange synchronization, not just an IMAP client. For the last few weeks I’ve been desperately trying to get Merlin Mann’s Inbox Zero concept working and you need a great Exchange client, not a 1.0 Exchange client. "

But he says the E71 is a very much 1.0 Exchange client.  I just wondering why or if he considered a BlackBerry coupled with a BlackBerry Professional Server software which would have given him an amazing Exchange client and also been a model modem and had a pretty good media player (good enough for my 17 year old and his Pearl)  The BlackBerry Professional is free software including the first user CAL and interfaces directly to the Exchange server better then anything else out there.  (for now anyway)
Bob Thomas
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I think the Nokia's are the best phones on the planet. I will buy a e71 in December. Joel's reasons are very similar to mine. And don't forget the 3mp camera. I think Nokia's 3g software on the laptop is fabulous. Its easy to transfer pictures on and off the camera. I like the SD cards also. I have a n73 now. Its a great backup phone. I like the e61 keyboard but the e71 is overall better. The keyboards and menus are much better than the other phones.  They are number one in Asia.
Joe Knapp Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

+1 for Nokia E71, but note that the camera is sort of crap and only works well in daylight.
Tov Are Jacobsen Send private email
Thursday, August 28, 2008

In that light, is there a phone that whose camera is *not* crap? My girlfriend got a Samsung (can't remember the model) with a 5 megapixel camera, on instigation of the Vodafone sales guy (I recommended a Nokia n95 which also has a 5mp camera but was more expensive) but the Samsung pictures are very bad (so are the Nokia ones that I saw from someone else, btw).

Obviously there's more to a camera than megapixels, but are there *any* phones with a decently sensitive CCD so that you don't need full bright daylight to get a non-blurred picture? And whose colors don't look like the 1970's 'my first birthday' pictures my mom keeps in her closet?
Joske Vermeulen

www.good.com provides a great outlook to nokia solution, unfortunately they do not support e71 yet (that's why we're stuck with the bulky e61i).
Totally Agreeing

These smart phones have a browser built in. As soon as I saw this  immediately I thought of accessing the corporate network for custom applications. Like a price/inventory application for a sales force. The treo has a barcode reader available. They can be a remote data terminal.
But many companies no longer have a field sales force. I don't think business's understand the power these phones can have.
The number one application people want is email. To be able to reply to your email during slack time (like riding the train) is great. But people could do so much more.
Joe Knapp Send private email

Compared E71 vs Blackberry bold today, I think I will order a blackberry bold soon, overview:

+ bold is reported to have better reception
+ better email (e71 lacks HTML email)
+ better display
+ better UI (IMHO)
+ 1 GB internal memory
- E71 has a webkit based browser. Bold's browser sucks.
- E71 has 3.2MP vs Bold's 2.0. But n71's 3.2 doesn't really count due to loss of quality. I am aware non of the will be as good as my SE K800i.

Based on: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/12/nokia-e71-vs-blackberry-bold-the-qwertys-rip-each-other-to-shreds/
decided for bold Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics