* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Nice Article on Job Satisfaction

Joel Spolsky's latest article refered to a great article I read years ago about a GE jet engine plant:
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/28/ge.html

It's very inspirational.  Also it's interesting to contrast the factory work of 80 years ago to today.  In the 1920's Henry Ford seemed to have perfected the production line based on mindless factory workers.  Yet today you have GE and Toyota showing that the intellectual input and job satisfaction of workers can be very valuable.

PS: Joel's article is here:
http://www.inc.com/magazine/20080901/how-hard-could-it-be-how-i-learned-to-love-middle-managers.html?partner=fogcreek
Mark McLaren Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

+1 on the GE Engines article.  This article made a big impact on me when I first read it - so much so that I re-read it every so often, and frequently recommend it to others.

Having said that, I continue to internally debate the types of work that would work with this structure.  Still - very interesting organization and amazing results.  I would be interested as to whether anyone else has a pointer to more recent information about that plant.  Can anyone get me in there for a tour?!
Loren Charnley Send private email

Definately an inspirational article.  I've read it before and it's a good read again about the possiblities when trust and give people the ability to mold their futures and lives instead of dictating it to them. 

But maybe this is only working for them because as the article mentions they're more motivated by job security than by money.  Just wanting to be able to keep their jobs and surviving is a different motivator than wanting extra money.

Maybe it doesn't quite work as well in the IT field since there's always an opportunity to go somewhere else if you quit.  Whereas they're jobs are more specialized and there's not a whole lot of large airplane manufacturing plants that you can job hop around.
reno

That should read "when *you* trust".  Damn BoS forum and no preview!
reno

"Damn BoS forum and no preview!"

BAH!  If that's what you want then go play with the newbies and wannabies over at slashdot!  ;-)
!

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics