* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone seen Scour?

I got an invite to join Scour. The business model looks unsupportable. Any opinions?
Drew Kime Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Yes i think it might they apparently need to make enough on adverts to cover the kick-back.

The primary challenge with this type of idea is that people who care about makigng $25 for doing 6500 searches is usually not in the demographic of any advertiser, and this has lead to several companies failing with their business model.

Some companies are making it though, such as online questioneers, where they attempt to screen out the undesirables.

(Personally, I find that the best incentive to participate in a survey is to get free access to the result).
Tov Are Jacobsen Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is how they expect to recycle Google (and Yahoo! and Live) results, without the ads, and not get cut off by the other search engines.
Drew Kime Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

+1 to Drew Kime

I guess Google, etc are just waiting to see if they gain any traction.
Scorpio Dragon Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics