* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

.NET Framework...

Can I start assuming that clients will have the .NET framework loaded on thier computers. I know XP etc. does not come with it preloaded but was just thinking of whether it would be worth converting a part of my product into .NET but would have the disadvantage that it would need the .NET framework preloaded...

Your thoughts ?

Karbhari
Zarir Karbhari Send private email
Wednesday, August 20, 2008

While it's getting more and more likely computers will have .NET installed, you probably can't assume just yet. Instead, you could use something like NETCheck to make sure before installing. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=netcheck+check+.net+software
intranets

I used to implement .NET 2.0 framework into my .NET applications so that it wasn't required to have .NET installed as it was included.

About a year ago I removed it from my programs and switched to having my setup program check if .NET was installed and automatically install it instead.

After doing this change, I thought I would get a lot of support inquiries regarding people not getting it to work, but actually I can't recall getting any emails with any .NET problems after doing this change (except one person who had multiple versions and had to clean up some).

So as long as your setup program checks for this and makes it easy to install, in my experience, using .NET 2.0 in applications is no problem.
Tor Martin Kristiansen

Do we really have to go through this whole mess again? Do you not know how to use the basic search facility in this forum? Do you even understand how many times this gets asked here in a given month? Sheesh!
anon2

Have a look at the new bootstrapper in .Net 3.5 SP 1
Supposedly 26mb if .net isn't installed
Which somebody claimed would be a six minute download, obviously there connection is better than mine
EnglebertHumperdink
Thursday, August 21, 2008

>"Supposedly 26mb if .net isn't installed
Which somebody claimed would be a six minute download, obviously there connection is better than mine "

Really? I live out in the sticks, and even on my slow ass connection 26 meg would take about a minute.
Tim Haughton Send private email
Friday, August 22, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics