* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google apps

Since many of you/us are using google apps, has anyone had problems the last few days getting their email for their domain through google apps?

In my case senders are getting a 'relay access denied' error for all the addresses at my domain (almost every single time, but not 100%). It used to work fine before, for over a year and the settings haven't changed.

Since I'm using the freebie version, there's no support and the knowledgebase hasn't been very helpful :(

Anyone with a similar experience?

Btw, I've tried keeping my mailserver at my webhost, but found it difficult to counter abuse (got listed on all kinds of blacklists, even though I'm not spamming). Then switched too google apps, all went fine until now.

So perhaps I should switch to a paid service that can keep me off blacklists and out of people's spam filter AND is reliable enough. Any suggestions?
Sigh
Wednesday, August 13, 2008

No problems here. Do you check if the DNS servers are ok?
edddy Send private email

It's all working for me (barring the downtime the other day).
Richie Hindle Send private email

Works for me, no problems.
q

Google Apps have always worked great for me.

But it's not unusual here for an anon poster to have problems with it.
Gerry Smith Send private email

DNS servers should be fine, since the website can be reached?
Sigh
Thursday, August 14, 2008

@Gerry, I don't see what the anon has to do with it. Sometimes people just don't want the world to know about their problems.
Sigh

I haven't noticed any issues.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

It doesn't matter whether you use a free or paid for service. What is important is the terms and conditions of your contract with the supplier.

Using a service with T&C like Google's, is like running your business out of starbucks because the current supervisor lets you sit their all day using their WiFi if you buy 3 coffees.
Adrian

"Using a service with T&C like Google's, is like running your business out of starbucks because the current supervisor lets you sit their all day using their WiFi if you buy 3 coffees."

It's funny you say that, because I used to work from a coffee shop together with 2 coworkers a few years ago. It was quite nice but the music got annoying. Wil Shipley (Delicious Library) did the same initially, and he sold a few hundred thousand $ worth of software the day he launched, so it can't be that bad.

Regarding google apps: as long as you keep control over your nameserver, you can always switch to a different mail server within a few minutes, so I don't think it's too dangerous.
Matt Winkelmann Send private email

> so it can't be that bad.

I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying you have to plan around these facilities changing outside of your control.

> so I don't think it's too dangerous.

So long as you keep a local copy of all your email/documents then I agree. If your entire company email history is sat only on the Google servers then you do have problems.
Adrian

>> So long as you keep a local copy of all your email/documents then I agree. If your entire company email history is sat only on the Google servers then you do have problems.

If you're storing mission-critical information in your email account or only one electronic place that's the real problem. I trust Google to do a better job of saving and backing up my data than my consumer hard drive or local cable provider.
Mr. Blah

So any suggestions for an alternative to Google apps and the simple mail server @ my webhost?
Sigh

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics