* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Windows mail server recommendation?

I'm getting a dedicated server (for various reasons) that needs to handle my email.  That means I can send out (SMTP) and it has some mailboxes that I can access via POP3 to retrieve my mail.

I don't need calendaring or anything like that.  Exchange is overkill.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?
Doug
Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Joe Knapp Send private email

I used to use MailEnable from http://www.mailenable.com before I switched everything to Linux servers.
Jacob Thurman

I'e used the free edition of MailEnable in past projects as well. Very easy to setup and operate, never had any problems with it.
Vee

Some friends of mine sell this Windows mail server:

http://www.softalkltd.com/products/workgroupmail/

Don't know how well it fits your requirements.
Andy Brice Send private email

I've used MailEnable for 4 years now and it's been a good email server for me.
The Original Henry

You might check out SmarterMail from SmarterTools (http://www.smartertools.com/SmarterMail/Features/Windows-Mail-Server-Web-Interface.aspx).  I haven't used it myself but have heard some very good things about it.  They have a free edition you can try out, and even use indefinitely if your user count is low enough.
Jason Abate Send private email

IceWarp has a great user interface but it's vastly overpriced and its spam-blocking engine sucks.

To be fair, most email servers I've seen suck very badly. I hope someone replaces email as we know it in the near future with something more modern and cross-platform servers.
Gili Send private email

Do you need any of the freedom a mail server gives you? In my experience, mail servers are a lot more difficult to maintain then webservers. I've recently switched to using google apps and couldn't be happier. Even if they recently had trouble (that I didn't notice) their uptime record is still quite a lot better than anything you'll ever archive.
Matt Winkelmann Send private email

I have used MailEnable for a while but I have switched to hMailServer. Works very well for me.
Max

+10 for SmarterMail

I used to use mail enable and found it clunky and slow.  I bought SmarterMail about two'ish years ago for my web server (I host websites/apps as well) and have never looked back.  I haven't had to touch it once.
DH

hMailServer is great and it's free. I've been using it for about four years.

As far as a webmail UI, roundcube works well with hMailServer and gives you a nice, AJAX enabled interface and is also free.

I've had bad experiences with Mail Enable, but that was an older version.

I had MailEnable and didn't like it. I am now running smartermail which is an excellent mail server. I found that running a POP/IMAP server is easy, while running an SMTP server is much more difficult and time consuming.
Liam McLennan Send private email

www.axigen.com
Florin Craciun Send private email
Thursday, August 14, 2008

I've used Argosoft Mail Server http://www.argosoft.com/ for 6 years now. It's got a few decent features built in, and it's reasonably simple to set up and run. Haven't tried the .NET version though.
Ben Mason Send private email
Thursday, August 14, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics