* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Sales followups. How many?

I am often contacted 3 or more times by sales persons from companies whose products I am considering to buy.

However, I have been reluctant to contact my silent leads more than twice.

Is emailing/calling somebody twice too little for a follow-up?
Salesman
Thursday, August 07, 2008

It depends how much your product is worth.

For a $1,000 product, a sales guy will call you 5 times or more. For a $50 product, one call is it.

Think of the cost of the sales person making that call, how much time they have each day.

Note to recipients of sales calls: if you are not interested, say it clearly. A sales guy will call you back if you say "sounds interesting, I don't know, let me think about it". Do you want to be called back?

Alain.
Alain @ FairSoftware Send private email

I am selling a hosted solution for $100+ per month depending on volume.
I do not know ahead of time what the volume would be.

Most of my leads are through a web site. When I email back, I typically get no response. When I call back, I often get voicemail.
Salesman

Have done consulting for B2C company selling $700 product.  Ten - twelve calls was common.

I personally get called at least two times a week by various auto warranty companies about my expired car warranty.  They send crap in the mail too.

We recently looked at Plum and Angel for IVR, these guys sell a $500 - $1000 per month hosted solution, and even though I've said "quit" (easily ten or more calls later), I still get calls.  Angel was particularly pushy (enough that I called the sales guy's boss).

Have a friend in B2B sales for a public propane company - they have to call accounts for six - ten months to get a face-to-face meeting, and that is when the "customer" generated the lead!

Try a mailing (physical).  Yes, it takes time, and it costs more than email.  However, if you have their address, then you've "touched" them three different times (voicemail, email, mail), and three different ways.
Anthony Presley Send private email

Anthony,
All my leads are customer initiated. (They will out please contact me form) So it sounds like my 2 follow-ups are too few.
Salesman
Friday, August 08, 2008

What I've seen recommended for B2B sales (via cold calling and leaving VM messages) is that you don't stop until you get an answer - either yes or no. If you get a no, you stop. If you get no answer, you keep trying.

That's where most cold callers and marketers fall flat - they become pests by not taking no for an answer.

But you don't accept no answer as an answer. Especially if you have contact information from the party that was left on your web site.

Some people in business are impressed by persistence. While it may appear to you that you're begging, since you're on the asking end, to the person being contacted, you appear dogged and strong to the contacted party - because you don't give up.
Bored Bystander Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics