* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Track activity on computer - Big Demand?

I have heard more than once on this forum that people want a application to track time to make them more productive, I already have the code to do this in other applications, all i would have to do is create an interface and reporting...

Is there a big Demand?

Also, What features would MISV like to see in an application like this?
Code ReUser
Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Benjamin Curtis Send private email
Tuesday, August 05, 2008

> Is there a big Demand?

No. It's something everyone wants, but nobody really wants. Unless you have some sort of genius breakthrough that makes it THE app everyone wants, I don't think you'll get much traction.
A. A. Hatt
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I agree that this is something everyone wants, but that is the same reason there are hundreds of existing solutions. I think it is one of the most saturated markets, together with to-do list and note-taking apps.
not a guru Send private email

@TS;
Are you talking about tracking time, or tracking my activities? Are you aiming at the uISV who wants to track his cost, or are you aiming at the paranoid manager who wants to check his employees?

@guru;
"I think it is one of the most saturated markets, together with to-do list and note-taking apps."

notebook.google.com

Although it may seem saturated, that doesn't mean that there aren't any opportunities :)
Eddy Vluggen Send private email

Creating a genuinely usable time tracking system that allows teams to keep track of what people are actually up to without providing a user interface worth of the Ministry of Love seems to be an outstanding challenge in user interface design.

Most enterprise project management systems are sold to management and therefore the lackey facing user interface tends to be truly awful. I can never work out if this is simply lack of care or is intended to appeal to sadistic managers.
Arethuza

I think rescuetime has done an excellent job in that market. Yes, there is some demand, but I can't think of much you could do better. Nor can you be cheaper than free.
Matt Winkelmann Send private email

Rescuetime looks neat - but requires an local application to be installed that talks back to their central service that sends back details of what I have been doing.

Unfortunately, that approach will rule it out for many enterprise environments although it might be OK for personal use if you aren't too concerned about such things. I got to the point in their signup where you have to download and install something locally and thought "no way".

Maybe something similar that can send updates to a locally hosted application behind the corporate firewall?
Arethuza

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics