* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Movie:

"Make Better Software" is a 6 movie course designed to help you as you grow from a micro-ISV to a large software company.
Part 1: Recruiting
Part 2: Team Members
Part 3: Environment
Part 4: Schedules
Part 5: Lifecycle
Part 6: Design

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software Proposal sample, template

Hello,
Do you know where I can get a good software development poposal template or sample to submit a bid to my client? I am new to doing contract software development on the side. Customer has already developed detailed functional requirement spec, but asked me for a proposal for bidding? This is for a rather complex piece of software.

Thanks
Jackie Send private email
Thursday, June 19, 2008

ScottK Send private email
Thursday, June 19, 2008

In addition to the technical proposal template Scott pointed to earlier, make sure you are hitting the key sales points that will help your customer actually read that proposal.  You may want to preface a template like that with a brief executive summary that hits on the key points that will make your customer keep reading:

- What is their pain point that your service or product is addressing?  Would be great if you can word it in the actual words that you heard from the client.

- Clearly articulate your value proposition and specific benefit to the customer.  Yes, this really should be spelled out (even if you think it's obvious from a technical perspective, the customer may not) and make it as quantitative as possible if you can.  If you can talk about ROI metrics even better.  And think about all the stakeholders in the purchase (if there are more than one)... you must have a reason for each one of them to want to buy your proposal.

More info on tips for writing a good software proposal here: http://www.software-marketing-advisor.com/software-proposal.html
Joanna Lees Castro Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics