* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Launching app in a month -- any contemporaries?

Hideho everybody.  You can read the full details on my blog, but to make a long story short I have an application brewing.  I'm planning on doing it start to finish in the month of June, similar to my 8 day time limit on Bingo Card Creator, and I will again be blogging every step of the way.  That's the boring self-serving bit.

The interesting bring-it-to-the-forum bit is that I'm looking for buddies.  I figure what with the talk about 30 Day Challenges and whatnot here recently there are probably a few folks out there with a project in mind at the moment.  I find that a time schedule and some positive social reinforcement will work wonders for me, so if anyone else is on the start-new-development fence, if you want to get in touch with me, we can be sort of a peer group for June. 

I'm thinking of keeping things pretty informal for my part: no hard and fast deadlines, no must-post-a-screenshot-a-day rule, and certainly no "you have to be as transparent as I am" thingee.  I'm going to be blogging my whole experience again and would love to have someone else with a developing app to both coo over and motivate me to continue.  (Plus I really like having someone around to show works-in-progress too, and my offline friends would likely be bored to tears by this.)  If what you're doing interests me, I'll write about it, if what I'm doing interests you, you'll write about it, something natural, intellectually rewarding, and a whole lot of good clean fun.

If this sounds like something interesting to anybody here, drop me an email at patrick@ or post here or on my blog.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hi Patrick,

I cant wait to see what you are building next.  I'm a bit excited to be honest.  I'd join you, but I think you hate me :)  Plus I don't have an idea for my next project just yet but I wanted to congratulate you on the start of your next project and wish you good luck.  Cant wait to see what you come up with and hope you'll share sales data so we can see how it compares to BCC.
Markito
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ditto.  Patrick.  Sent you an email.
Scott Kane Send private email
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hi Patrick,

Nice timing. I am in. I will write to you directly later.
Mowgli
Sunday, May 25, 2008

So Markito-Bye went bye-bye?
Wi-Fi Warrior
Sunday, May 25, 2008

I'm back :)
Markito
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Patrick,

For what it's worth I feel exactly the same way as you do about having someone to bounce ideas off of, and yes my wife and friends are also tired of hearing of my product(s).

In all honesty it would be great to have someone to bounce my ideas off of but right now I'm focusing on building a business plan and I'd rather not publish that information to the general public if you know what I mean.

If you're interested on a more private one-on-one exchange via email I am more than willing ;)
Gili Send private email
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hi Patrick,

I'm dead keen to get involved with a little project I started a couple of weeks ago.

As soon as I can think of a suitable (and available) url for a new blog dedicated to this, I'll post the url.
Steve McLeod Send private email
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Its a great idea and I would have joined, but the product I am planning requires real coding.

Completing a project, which requires real code + web site in a mont is a little agressive for me (and I would work on it full time).
work horse
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Beautiful! Lets do this.
I. Hate. Integers Send private email
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Patrick,

Im might be able to do this with you, Im planning to build a test maker (web-based) for teachers. Sounds like a challenge to do it in 30 days.
n! Labs
Sunday, May 25, 2008

I just cleared out an old blog I have for tracking my progress in getting my app launched by the end of June.

http://keepsoftwaresimple.blogspot.com/

Enjoy reading along.
Steve McLeod Send private email
Monday, May 26, 2008

Maybe I'll go along with you - you should set up a website for the challenge.

First I've gotta get my current project published!!!
Steve
Monday, May 26, 2008

Thanks for all the enthusiasm everyone!  I hope to get a list of participants up on my blog tomorrow and start actually, you know, producing stuff sometime around Sunday.  If you have a blog or other address you'd like me to feature in the kickoff post, feel free to drop it to me via email or a comment.

A person or three has asked about doing something a bit more private, so on the off chance anyone else is thinking that would sound better, here's my thoughts: this is going to be one packed-as-heck month for me, and I really don't do synchronous contact well at all when I'm working.  That said, I've always welcomed emails from ISVs, particularly those about strategy chitchat.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Monday, May 26, 2008

I've set up a feed to follow all the blogs:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/30dayers

I've also decided against the whole registration thing. I will add all the feeds that are listed on Patrick's blog when he posts it. Decentralized FTW!

When you give the feeds to Patrick ensure that your feed is filtering for the specific 30day stuff. I don't think people really want to know how your house building is going.

If you use blogger and you tag your posts with 30day, the way to do this is:

http://uint32t.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/30day

Best of luck! Lets get a whole sh*tload of blogs on here so atleast someone will succeed.
I. Hate. Integers Send private email
Monday, May 26, 2008

I have a product in mind. Lets get started.
Jitesh Patil Send private email
Monday, May 26, 2008

As per my indication of interest above, I've decided to proceed along with others here.  My first post in my blog just went up a moment ago.  This whole process is very new to me (in terms of disclosure) so I'm feeling my way as I go.  Hope to become increasingly more specific about details as things progress.

Also.  It'd probably be nice if folks visiting the blogs involved indicated, where appropriate, some of the things they are interested in reading about so that some of us can cover them if we feel it appropriate to do so.
Scott Kane Send private email
Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Very much looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. Can't participate myself because I'm already about 12 months into my current project, but it'll be interesting to see what comes out of this. Stay motivated. Look at what Patrick came up with in his first project and how far it has come since then. Sorry to ramble on about the 30 day challenge again, but if you're stuck on finding an idea, there's some good info in there about finding worthwhile niches and judging if they're viable in terms of competition vs traffic levels. Worth a look if you can be bothered.
Nathan Ridley Send private email
Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Great idea Patrick, I've sent you an E-mail and started a little blog to keep the diary of my little venture.
Tarek Demiati Send private email
Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oooops, BTW the URL of my diary is :

http://mentalprocreation.wordpress.com/
Tarek Demiati Send private email
Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'd like to be part of this :-)

My filtered feed is at:  http://tektalkin.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default/-/stevechol%20SMSRelay

Cheers

-Steve
Steve Cholerton Send private email
Monday, June 02, 2008

Hello everyone,

Sue and Scott from their posts in the AISIP newsgroups gave me the heads up to check out this challenge :)

I think this is a great idea; I've got a product idea in the back of my cranium and taking it from "vision to reality" (sorry, Bob!) over 30 days (and watching others do likewise) will be an interesting challenge.

Where do I sign up?
Mike Wilson Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Feet firmly in the water now that I've announced the project.

Day 0 blog post: http://blog.evolvedsoftwarestudios.com/category/30daychallenge/

RSS feed:
http://blog.evolvedsoftwarestudios.com/category/30daychallenge/feed

Please can I be added to the aggregated RSS feed?

Many thanks, this will be a fun month!

Best Regards,

Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Well, I just spent a week doing a web application in the web framework Ruby on Rails. This was planning, implementation and deployment.

If you need inspiration on how to do this, you can read more on:
http://techblog.41concepts.com/2008/06/09/building-a-ruby-on-rails-application-in-a-week/

(along the lines of your initial app in 8 days :))

Cheers
Rasmus
Rasmus Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics