* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Thirty day product challenge

So I have wasted about 50 minutes of my life skimming through this 30daychallenge.com thing. I think its a total waste of time.

But I got to thinking: there are lots of people who would like to develop a product but don't have any incentive. Recently, I was fortunate enough to have outside pressure to complete something. I did it much better than when I had only myself to motivate. I think this is true for most people. The outside motivation was fear of humiliation :-)

Based on this theme: do you think it would be possible for people to dedicate a month or so towards developing a super-duper-alpha version of their software and the only way they can view other peoples entries is if they post a screenshot or an update every 2 days?

I think it could work...
I. Hate. Integers Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

I think it is doable. I'm doing one myself. But, I think posting a screenshot every two or three days may detract you from your aim especially when different individuals comment on the screenshot.

This is because you there is the tempration of doing something about the comment/suggestion immediately or before the other things that matter. Maybe, having a screenshot displayed a major milestones can be done instead and having the discipline to finish the product before paying attention to the comments unless the comment directly affects the functionality/usability of your product.

Frequently posting a screenshot may also put an undue pressure on you to get a screenshot out at regular intervals. I guess in this approach you can test it for a couple of days.
Phillip Flores Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

You need to take in account that the majority of entrants probably won't finish or last more than a few days.
S. Tanna
Saturday, May 17, 2008

I agree with the idea of a screenshot every 2 days. Even though it may detract from the ideal path of effort, it solves the main thing which is the proof of progress in a form that can be quickly and easily checked. Other ways of showing/checking progress are too involved or too abstract.
Ben Bryant Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

2 days sounds great, It could be a lot of pressure, but thats the objective I guess. I'm in, let me know if you guys start a thread somewhere.
Girish Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

I think this is a great idea! Count me in.
Bjorn Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

Seems that there is interest just on the BoS group. I'll see if I can work something out in a few weeks (30 days?) and start taking registrations.
Saturday, May 17, 2008

I'll be expecting a screenshot in 2 days, then!
SteG Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

Well you'd better at least post your progress in two days. ;)

Anyway, it's amazing what I (and others, I'm sure) can come up with when faced with a project deadline, versus fuzzy goals with a hazy deadline.

Good luck!
eek
Saturday, May 17, 2008

LOL! Say how do you follow a thread on this thing? Its quite annoying to check back here every now and then.
Saturday, May 17, 2008

I started looking at the '30 day challenge' stuff and got turned off because it took the bloke a 30 minutes podcast to tell you 'this is day one, lets get started'.
LfeIsToShortForHisPodcasts
Saturday, May 17, 2008

You gotta realise that he's not assuming you're a software developer or experienced internet user. Naturally because you're super savvy with all this online stuff it's going to feel like there's a lot of fluff. There is plenty of good practical advice in there though. "50 minutes" doesn't even touch the surface. I suspect you looked at the first couple of days of material and got bored. The real important stuff doesn't come until well after that. The first week or so is intended to be light and easy to consume. Personally I did the first half of the thirty day challenge in one day.
Nathan Ridley Send private email
Sunday, May 18, 2008

I just set up a quick and dirty site to provide a one-stop place to follow 30-day product challenges. The URL is
http://www.30dayproductchallenge.net.

For those interested in posting screenshots of their 30-day product challenge simply register and I'll send you more information.

I started the screenshots with my 30-day product challenge called misvCRM. The reasoning behind this project is found in http://www.misvcrm.com/blog/
Sunday, May 18, 2008

Haha. Way to rip off an idea. You obviously took .net as I had taken .com. I would have appreciated an email if you were planning to do it but what is done is done.

Anyway, you're doing it wrong.
Sunday, May 18, 2008

If I may add, it appears that Philip is using this solely to advertise his software and only partially keeping to the spirit of the original post.

Can't say I blame him but I don't really think I agree with it.
Sunday, May 18, 2008

In order to avoid further issues with the 30dayproductchallenge.net site as per I.Hate.Integer's comments. I am taking it down. It was not my intent to just publish my product but as a response to an entry regarding a comment on following threads about 30-day products.My apologies to those who were offended.
Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hey Phillip,

Don't take it the wrong way. I just did not want there to be two challenges which would confuse more than help. If you would like to work with me on this, please email me.
Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday, May 18, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics