* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Software Protection / sorry to bring it up again

I'm using ASProtect SKE, I bought it a long time ago. Back then, it was great. A couple weeks back, I tried the latest update by the new owner StarForce. It passed my test. So I sent out a new release of my software. This was when my mailbox was filled with tech support incidents complaining about registration problems. Not all of the customers, but still a big number. This is not the first time. I simply reprotect it with an older version, and problem solved. So I posted an entry on their support forum. And guess what, I've got a forum-permission-suspended email saying that I'll have to renew my license to get support. Well, it's no news at all considering my license is "expired" according to their "new business model". But I think it's an obvious hint for me to switch.

So my question is, what alternatives do I have here? My product sells at $29.95. I'm looking for a solution that costs me less than $300 per year. I have great concerns on the quality of such tools. ASProtect SKE had created enough trouble for me. So I would prefer a carefully tested, massively used tool, to a say, state-of-the-art technology. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm not likely to consider Armadillo because of the bad things I heard.
Ed Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

What did you hear that was so bad?
I don't live here any more
Friday, April 25, 2008

Hi Ed,

ByteShield’s Dynamic License and Copy Protection Engine might be the answer. ByteShield™ revolutionize how application software and game vendors can generate revenue. The publisher can offer the end user a wide choice of licenses such as full feature trial, try to buy, variable length rentals, rent to buy, subscriptions or purchase. The end user can change the license choice at any time. Such Dynamic Licensing is only possible with strong copy protection and high user-friendliness. ByteShield combines industrial strength copy protection incurring no performance penalty, with the highest user friendliness in the industry. Please check out our website at http://www.byteshield.net or contact me at info "at" byteshield "dot" net.

Thanks,

Christian
Christian Olsson Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

Christian - you might have a great product but your website lists no prices or no method of purchasing your software.
DJ Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

Yeah can't find a price anywhere.

Do you meet the poster's "no more than $300 per year" Christian?
Doe
Friday, April 25, 2008

DJ -- I think it's the "contact us" link... i.e. if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Bill
Friday, April 25, 2008

Dmitriy Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

Totally Agreeing
Friday, April 25, 2008

I'd suggest WinLicense (http://www.oreans.com), I've been using them and they are very responsive and have great support. On top of that you get the best technology as well.

It's out of your price range for the first year, but under it by quite a bit for subsequent years so that amortizes out under your price after 2 years or something.
Michael
Friday, April 25, 2008

My concerns of asprotect and Armadillo aren't cracking. I'm not looking for an uncrackable technology. My experience with asprotect is so bad because it's got lots of bugs and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I heard from my friends that armadillo has got even more technical issues according to his own experience and the words on their forum.

I'm not working on a .NET product. It's a C++ product. I would prefer a product that does exactly what asprotect does, but with less bugs. Hopefully, less than 0.1% of users can find those bugs, I'll be happy.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Ed Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

That's the support aspect of what I mentioned about WinLicense - they update it frequently and have it working well.

I use it with a C++ project.
Michael
Friday, April 25, 2008

I'm using PELock with a C++ project. I can't say if there are any registration problems as I've not got enough customers yet.

The user interface is not very good, but I believe its actually reasonably secure. I've managed to find information on breaking just about every other product.
Robert
Friday, April 25, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out PELock.

I don't have a good feeling about WinLicense. I saw some software protected by it, and they are all increditbly slow compared to others. According to the testimonials I heard, WinLicense is causing headaches too.
Ed Send private email
Saturday, April 26, 2008

I used ASPROTECT SKE - it was cracked...

Then I used WINLICENSE - it was cracked (and I even find complete tutorial in PDF how to do it)...

Try something else or code your own protection...
Marco Monteco Send private email
Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ed, try '.Net Reactor': obfuscator, compiler & licensing system for .net applications (only $170 USD)
http://www.eziriz.com
Cheers.
anon
Wednesday, April 30, 2008

You may want to try SOFPRO http://www.sofpro.com products.

(software copy protection and license management solutions for .NET and Win32 applications)
Petar Send private email
Monday, May 05, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics