* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

MAC market compare to Windows for your niche

I have successful Windows desktop app for my niche(10K monthly revenue). Now there are competing application for MAC for my niche. What could be %of market for same niche on mac compare to windows? I am looking to develop my app for MAC want to know it's worth to make compatible MAC app.

anyone selling same app for both Market?
Is it worth to develop? What are the challenges? My app is developed in VB.
anon for this Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

The answer to your main question (what would be the Mac market share for a comparable Windows product?) depends entirely on the specific product in question. For some products there may be no market on the Mac, for others the market may be several times larger than that on Windows. Without knowing what your product is there is no way to answer your question.

All that said, you seem to be making quite a tidy sum just from your Windows sales ($10k/month is nice). Suppose that the Mac market scaled EXACTLY by market share: current Mac market share is  about 12% (10% on the desktop, 17% of laptops), so you might expect to get about $1200 per month for a Mac port of your product. That's about a weeks worth of effort, so if it takes you much more than 3 months to write the Mac port, and there are not other benefits to the port, then I'd guess it's not worth it. Similarly, if it would cost more than about $14,000 to have someone else write the Mac port for you, then it's not worth it.

Since you are clearly unfamiliar with the Mac market (as evidenced by your use of the term "MAC" rather than "Mac" or "Macintosh") I suspect you will not be able to write the Mac port in less than 3 months. Just coming up to speed with the Mac development process will take at least that long. I'm not familiar with how much outsourced Mac development costs, but $14,000 doesn't sound like peanuts, so it might be worth a shot.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

VB or VB.NET?

If VB.NET, porting to any Mono platform is relatively easy and fast.

VB, AFAIK, has nothing similar on Mac OS X, so perhaps you might want to rewrite it in VB.NET so that it's portable, if it makes sense from a business point of view.

I'd recommend Qt, but it's like writing a whole new app.
If your app is big, this would take months.
Dmitriy Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the question.
It's not "how?..", it's "should I?.." type of question.
My bad.
Dmitriy Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

You won't get far if you can't get the name right. It's Mac, not MAC.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Perhaps MAC is a form of wearable computing optomised for the Seattle-Redmond-Vancouver climate?
Martin Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Port to Mono if it is .net Port to RealBasic if it is VB6
Doe
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Anyone actually get a .net app ported to mono running and selling on a mac?
Steve
Thursday, April 24, 2008

It can depend entirely on your market. If you're application is some sort of big business application then there may not be a huge market for it, but applications aimed at education, small businesses and consumers will often do fairly well.

The Mac can have a disproportionate share of a market sometimes. I believe in the early days of RSS NetNewsWire (a Mac RSS reader) had something like 70% marketshare. This wasn't just on the Mac but across all platforms. It's also to helpful remember that just because Windows has a much higher market share doesn't mean it has a much higher market share of people willing to pay for software.
Martin Pilkington Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

Music

Anything relating to publishing or advertising or graphics

These are naturals for the Mac.

Otherwise I suspect your energy would be better put into a new version of your existing product, or into promotion.

Suppose it takes you, say, 3 months, working 1/2 time. That's 250 hours, and that's conservative unless your application is simple or you have it in a cross platform development environment already.

So let's say 500 hours as a minimum.  Are you going to get more sales from a Mac port or from putting in 500 hours either promoting your Windows product or working on a new version of your existing product?

You need to answer that question.
Thursday, April 24, 2008

I hadn't noticed that your program is written in VB. You might be able to port it to Mac pretty easily using RealBASIC. You should have a look at it in any case.

I've also thought more about the math of how much you stand to gain doing the port. Assuming the same numbers I mentioned above (Mac market for your product proportional to overall Mac market share, $1,200 per month potential earnings, ...) I think you might actually be better off doing the port. My logic is simply that you will be expanding the number of customers by including the Mac port. This is a good thing because, assuming you are a typical programmer, you are better at writing software than you are at marketing it (I can't argue that you are no good at selling your software, considering the revenue numbers you have already provided) so it's better to expand the customer base by writing more software than by trying to reach higher hanging fruit in your current market.

As I said, have a look at RealBASIC and see if you can do the port with minimal effort. If so, then you will hopefully (depending on your product) be able to add 12% to your user base and $1,200 per month to your revenue for only a few months effort. If you are lucky, the Mac market will be better than even money for your product and you'll see a better than even payoff.

Anyhow, I'm not saying it's worth doing the port (since I still don't know what your product is, I can't even guess at that) but it's certainly worth investigating.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email
Thursday, April 24, 2008

"Is it worth to develop? What are the challenges? My app is developed in VB."

Switch to RealBASIC it runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  Write once (or close to once) and have a real executables for both platforms.
X
Friday, April 25, 2008

I vote for RealBasic also.  Stay away from attempting VB.NET.  Mono is not 100% .NET compatible and Microsoft will always be ahead of it.

RealBasic has run on multiple platforms for years!  Its stable and has real shipping code behind it.  Mono is a pipe dream that will never be as portable as even Java is (and I'm not a Java fan).
DM
Friday, April 25, 2008

>RealBasic has run on multiple platforms for years!

I'm not defending Mono - but RB stable?  Which release did that happen in?
Scott Kane Send private email
Friday, April 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics