* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Free Single .exe compilier

Hi All,

I'm looking for a development enviornment that will generate a single exe that can be executed on any windows OS of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, etc.

Ideally this environment should be free, not as concerned about the language, I don't mind learning a new one.  The key thing is I need to make up a number of small utilites that will check various OS items for my users.  But I want these a simple non-installing downloads.

Thanks

Saturday, April 12, 2008

FreePascal, the commandline version of Borland's C++ Builder,  Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC), maybe D language. Those are all free as in beer.

If you don't mind paying something, I'd buy an old copy of Delphi 7 or 2007 on eBay. It's an excellent tool for this sort of thing.
Fernando Rodriguez (EasyJob Resume Builder) Send private email
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Actually while free is ideal, in all honesty less then $100 would be good.

I was thinking Delphi but ruled it out based on price, but never thought of an old version from EBay.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Free Pascal + Lazarus. Also works on Macs, Linux etc.
Frank de Groot
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Yeah, a quick looks shows you are out USD$800 right off the bat to get Delphi 2007 for Win32 R2 Professional Edition going on your PC. But if you feel you are going to eventually bet on Delphi at some point and just want to ramp up without spending a cent: you certainly have choices: Free Pascal, Turbo Explorer, and yes, even eBay for one of the oldie but goodies.

Turbo Explorer's URL: http://www.turboexplorer.com/

I am not sure if you can bundle everything into a single file with Visual C++ but the compiler is free and Microsoft has also been giving away IDEs for hobby or light use.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Saturday, April 12, 2008

We should have a thread about how Free Pascal compares (with the latest or slightly older Delphi for Win32) for building MicroISV products. I think people would love to get a sense of the state of the union for an FOSS initiative like Free Pascal, it's often difficult to get a sense of how far it has come along unless you have products that depend on it. Anyone use Free Pascal for production work? Any example MicroISV products out there that makes use of Free Pascal?
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Also keep in mind that a lot of people's definition of simple to install is actually something like a simple to remember URL that would just deploy everything for you. It's one of the reasons why people are keen on watching the following products:

[ ] Google Gears: Not dead, made it to 1.1. Used by more and more of Google's web apps. Free, BSD!!! Already has subsidiary projects* that work on top of it or off of it to ensure ease of use or fix obvious stuff (like desktop encryption).

[ ] Java and .NET. Both offer deployment options where you type in a URL and it would offer to download a desktop app right on to your desktop. After that you just worry about how to deploy updates, and even that part of the scaffolding has 3rd party add-on products you can buy to make a cinch. Java and .NET both offer cheap or free IDEs (.NET thanks to Mono-related projects) tools to get your products compiled and ready to go. You can achieve the following I think: 1) a single URL installation; and 2) a single executable installation; and maybe even 3) a single executable with all meta stuff embedded (depends on complexity of meta data I imagine).

What you do with Google Gears is immediately deployable via any platform with a decent webbrowser. The plug-in is BSD so you can port it to anything. An AJAX app has the advantage of working on anything from a future iPhone, Blackberry, to a SGI workstation.
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sign, another fourth post long rant :-) Google Gears calls their "1.1" 0.2, just to be perfectly clear.

http://code.google.com/apis/gears/
Saturday, April 12, 2008

You can use Turbo Delphi Explorer, which is a free version of delphi 2006 http://www.turboexplorer.com/. Delphi always compiles single exe file.
Thomas
Saturday, April 12, 2008

By the way all my products are developed on Turbo Delphi Explorer. It is free and you can sell any programs you make. And I do not have any complain on this IDE.
Thomas
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Visual Studio 2008 Express. Just make sure to link with static libraries.
TN
Saturday, April 12, 2008

I agree Turbo Delphi Explorer would be a good choice.  Or, if you prefer a C++ environment Borland(CodeGear) also distributes a sister product for free, Turbo C++.  I have used C++ Builder for years and recommend it.
DaveW
Saturday, April 12, 2008

>>By the way all my products are developed on Turbo Delphi >>Explorer. It is free and you can sell any programs you make.

Turbo Delphi Explorer is for non commercial use only !
Sz
Saturday, April 12, 2008

I used to use Delphi for a large project (5 man-years, 1 300 00 LOC incl. libs) at www.moyogo.com, and now I started another large project, entirely in Free Pascal/Lazarus.

Over the years I tried Lazarus (essential for GUI-work in Free Pascal) I always found it lacking, but it has come of age and I am very impressed. Several features of that IDE actually outperform Delphi's.

I'm really very impressed (and grateful!) getting a cross-platform RAD tool in my favorite language for my new project, and I reccommend everyone to give Free Pascal with Lazarus a serious chance. The list of IDE shortcuts are a must for productivity, and the compatibility level with existing Delphi code is excellent nowadays.

Programming is fun again - amnd no more worries about declining Windows with x-platform Free Pascal. There are many GUI components on SourceForge nowadays too, all major ones like a HTTP/FTP client, a treeview and so on.

Free Pascal + Lazarus finally reached critical mass and it's great for us Delphi-coders that felt left in the cold with a tool in decline :-)
Frank de Groot
Saturday, April 12, 2008

While there are limitations in Borland's Turbo Editions, it does not appear that non-commercial use is one of them.

See the Turbo Editions Faq:

http://www.turboexplorer.com/article/33659
DaveW
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thomas
Saturday, April 12, 2008

The catch with Google Gears (Javascript is really the issue here), .NET and Java is even if you have taken all of the trouble of finding free-as-in-beer tools, it ends up that there may still be unforseened costs. For example the final executables for Javascript is source, .NET and Java? Close enough to source. Some mISV will mind that and say they want obfuscators (not all are free, but in the case of Java it seems one of the more decent ones are FOSS) and those things can be an added cost. Anyway, really flesh out what you need from beginning to end and figure out the cost. It might be ducks-in-a-row-itis but it's good to be honest about the feasibility of a totally free-as-in-beer development environment.
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Borland's Turbo Delphi and C++ Builder products are free and very good. If you are starting from the scratch, use Delphi. If you already have some C/C++ code you need to use, C++ Builder would work better for you.

Or if you'd like to stick with MS prodcuts, then use Visual Studio - there's a free edition of it.

All these products can be used for commercial purposes.
Anon
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thomas, sorry about that. Oh, why i purchased Turbo Delphi... :-(
Sz
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ethan
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Dev-C++ is GUI for MinGW.  Executables compiled with MinGW require runtime library mingwm10.dll.  I don't think you can statically link against runtime because of the license (LGPL).  That is, unless you want to distribute your application under the GPL.
Jeff Zanooda Send private email
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Assembly: Fasm, Nasm. Euphoria.

Don't trust Dev-Cpp.
Victor Noagbodji
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Jeff Hawkins
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Tcl/tk would meet your requirements. Search for "starpack" which is a single file executable that includes a platform-specific runtime engine (a "tclkit"), the scripts (a "starkit") and any other data (images, platform-specific dll/so files, audio files, etc) all wrapped up in a VFS.

You can use the same scripts and data (except for platform-specific stuff obviously) and just wrap them with different runtimes for each platform you're interested in.

With recent versions of Tk (8.5+, current is 8.5.2) there are native widgets for each platform which lets you make very professional-looking GUIs. And Tcl is unicode-aware through-and-through so it's easy to create localized versions of your software too.

There are free tools to generate the executables or you can go the commercial route with Activstate TclDevKit which includes a code obfuscator and debugger among other things.
Bryan Oakley
Saturday, April 12, 2008

+TN
Doug
Saturday, April 12, 2008

> I'm looking for a development enviornment that will generate a single exe that can be executed on any windows OS of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, etc.

Besides the obvious suspects above, http://www.powerbasic.com/products/pbdll32/, which started life as Borland's TurbBasic way back when.

Not free, but cheap at $200. It's a procedural language, so you'll have to hit the Win32 API with no OO layer.
ZeFred
Saturday, April 12, 2008

you can try harbour/xharbour (clones of the clipper language). They create single file .exe, there are some GUI to choose from,may work on windows and natively on linux  or under wine (also the GUI part)
Francesco
Saturday, April 12, 2008

See http://www.htmlapp.com.

It generates native exe files that are programmed in html for gui and javascript for logic.

The exe files are often less than 20K.  They can be "serialized" by appending an id number to the end of the file so that each exe is individual.

The best use is where you are generating content for a client-server app that interacts with a web site.  The reason is that the JavaScript could be discovered by a hacker and for protection you want functionality on your server that a hacker cannot discover.
Dennis Reinhardt Send private email
Saturday, April 12, 2008

"Free Pascal + Lazarus. Also works on Macs, Linux etc.

My experience has been it's not ready for prime time. As far as Mac goes compiling for Mac and running and being a real native Mac application are two different things. Lazarus and Free Pascal rely (if using the carbon lib) in Carbon at best (default isn't and it requires additional installs to run the sofwtare from Dev Tools that most users of your software won't have installed - not an option for most Mac users). Given that Apple software and most software available for the Mac (of any decent quality) is Cocoa API based now (much of Carbon being deprecated) it's simply not an option.  I wasn't even pleased with how it compiled and run App's when using Vista (XP and < XP were OK enough).  *nix wise it was pretty good.
Scott Kane Send private email
Sunday, April 13, 2008

To Scott:

I tried Lazarus half a year ago and I was disgusted. It didn't even want to run.

I tried it two weeks ago and I'm enthralled. It really goes that fast with Free Pascal and Lazarus.

As for FP on the Mac: I haven't dived into the particulars but I know there is a roadmap and I know I will only be needing a cross-compile to the Mac when I have a v1.0 (in several years).
Frank de Groot
Sunday, April 13, 2008

Emergence BASIC creates small, standalone executables that run on any flavor of Windows.  It's primarily a procedural language, but includes some OOP capabilities.  It's suitable for utilities on up to substantial projects.

It's easy to learn Emergence, and easy to write legible, structured code with it.  Yes, it's "only" BASIC, but programs I've written with Emergence make my house payment and then some every month.

Emergence BASIC is free.

http://www.ionicwind.com
Michael Rainey Send private email
Sunday, April 13, 2008

Before jumping on the Delphi/Pascal bandwagon, I have yet to find a grid control that is fully accessible. Since all my apps have included grids, this would have made it illegal to sell the resultant programs in many countries.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

OP, here's one more FreeBasic.
Victor Noagbodji
Sunday, April 13, 2008

One more newLisp (just to please functional programmers out there. I tried it while learning Lisp, but I think my book was common lisp or something, so I gave up.
Victor Noagbodji
Sunday, April 13, 2008

Try out http://www.ubercode.com which I wrote - it generates EXE files that run on all versions of Windows. There's a free trial and the packages start at $49.
Will Rayer Send private email
Monday, April 14, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics