* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Looking for marketing books

I'm looking for some good book recommendations for general internet marketing, SEO, Google Adwords, etc. My marketing strategy so far generally involves Google Adwords, but I'm not even very good at that. So, any recommendations you guys have would be great.
ADoss Send private email
Wednesday, April 09, 2008

You are trying to market in the same arena as 37Signals. Good luck with that!  :)
cynic

It's actually a little bit different than anything 37Signals has to offer, or it wouldn't have ever come into existence, but thanks for the help... ;-)
ADoss Send private email

This is something that I've been wanting to get to for a long time (I've got about a half dozen domains bought about 2 years ago or so for it). There are a few techniques that I've been using over the years that I haven't seen anyone talk about. Hopefully I'll get it out in a couple months or so. I'm expecting to start on it relatively soon.
Ryan Smyth Send private email

AdWords for Dummies.  Excellent overview of marketing online.  Much more than just AdWords.
Silverbox

I have learned more about marketing from Seth Godin's blog ( http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ ) than anywhere else.
Dave Send private email

I think its valuable to understand real marketing before internet marketing. I would first suggest one of the basics like The 22laws of immutable marketing then move on to others.

For specific stuff like adwords or SEO the internet is usually going to be your best bet, anything written in a book is probably out of date. Unless its an ebook like seobook (which is probably the best place to start)
James Avery Send private email

This marketing bestseller received rave reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618785914/ccomput-20
Alex Send private email

Eric Sink's The Business of Software has helped me with marketing more than any other book.
Liam McLennan Send private email

I found "Winning Results with Google AdWords" by Andrew Goodman to be extremely useful.  Using his tips on ad grouping and optimization I was able to reduce costs significantly and increase conversions.  Yet another book I wish I had read before I got started.

Joel's comments on marketing in "Founders at Work" are the best advice.  The surest way to increase sales is to keep improving your product and listening to customers.  Gimmicks won't cut it.
Andre Oporto Send private email

This book is free and it's very interesting:
http://www.conversationmarketing.com/cmonline/intro.cfm
Cosmina Stefanache
Thursday, April 10, 2008

> So, any recommendations you guys have would be great.

1. Figure out what people want. Observe, listen, talk, interact. (ie Don't hide in your basement)
2. Create it.
3. Make them aware that you created it using language *they* can understand and relate to.
4. Make the sale in a way that will cover your costs and leave you some profit for future business growth.

That's it! 

A marketing book can tell you the steps, but can't turn you into an empathic which is what you need to be. Don't just follow the steps like a robot. Care like you would for a friend or close relative in need.

And here is a golden nugget: All this takes time and it is an iterative process. You can't cheat and jump ahead using magic secret formulas.

Don't waste too much time reading a million books. Learn to become an empathic human being.
outback
Thursday, April 10, 2008

A nice book for web marketing is
Web Marketing For Dummies
http://www.amazon.com/Web-Marketing-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/0470049820

I read it. It's nice and a lot of ideas to inspire from.
AlexAboutSoftware Send private email
Thursday, April 10, 2008

Alex, you might want to have someone proofread your website. There are many typos just on the homepage.
fbk
Thursday, April 10, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics