* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

ASP.NET hosting any recommendation ?

Hi All,

I am looking for ASP.NET 2.0 with MS Access database.my site is very simple so I need affordable and good hosting .
Any recommended services ?
ray
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

crystaltech.
using for 4 years

+1 for crystaltech

I also like FluidHost
Josh Send private email

+1 for CrystalTech.  Also have used them for about 4 years.  Really like their spam filtering technology, implemented in their SmarterMail system.

VPSLand is also worth a look if you want more control.
Intellectually Stimulating Vocation Send private email

Another +1 for CrystalTech. Their support is helpful and prompt.

A cheapie host that gets recommended often is WebHost4Life. I wasn't happy with their service, but I know many others have had no complaints. So if you're on a tight budget, they may be an option.
Nick Hebb Send private email

how can u determine the lifespan of a webhost?

i currently use Bluehost.com they have been around since 1996. I have a webbased service that allows users to upload content.. and I'm concerned that if they go out of business.. i'd be in real trouble..

? what do you think?
Whoo

There is no way to find out when will a host go out of business or when will they be down for hours because a truck hit the elecrticity pole outside their datacenter.

You need to build redundency.
Don't host email or web sites at your domain registrar.
If possible host DNS servers also away from registrar (this helps if you ever have to change the registrar).
Then put the web site at two different hosts (two different datacenters)
Use round robin DNS to serve the files from either of those two hosts (keep the TTL very low).
Use a different company to host emails (e.g. google apps).

This is not perfect, but this is what I do.
Saurabh
Thursday, February 28, 2008

> i currently use Bluehost.com they have been around since 1996. I have a webbased service that allows users to upload content.. and I'm concerned that if they go out of business.. i'd be in real trouble..

If I were you I'd be more worried about the fact I was hosting on a shared server with nearly a thousand other sites. I use Bluehost for a few websites, but they only have shared plans.

As for ASP.NET hosting, I used HostMySite for awhile, but then got a dedicated box at Softlayer
uNoob

We had few social media apps in the making and challenge was to find a cost effective hosting provider that provides support for both PHP/MySQL and ASP.NET/MS SQL.

The most cost efficient, with great technical support, was IXWebHosting.com
Fahad Khan Send private email

-1 for hostway.com.

Seriously, their support is totally useless
Not Impressed with Hostway

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics