* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Going it without Adwords

Just wondering, if you didn't use Adwords would people still find you?

What percentage of your sales is driven by Adwords leads.

Cheers
Nayak
Tuesday, February 05, 2008

<5% of my sales are from adwords.
Floyd Price Send private email

Ditto, most are from referrals and organic search (small utility program).
regular lurker Send private email

I don't use Adwords at all.
Tony

Majority are from organic search now. But adwords was very important early on and still makes a sizable contribution. Adwords data was also very useful in helping to SEO my site.
Andy Brice Send private email

I've tried AdWords, but it was a waste of money. I get 60% of sales from search engines [I have a lot of articles about my products out there] and around 20% from download sites.
Dr GUID Send private email

I'd have to look at the numbers but I think mine is about 40% AdWords these days.  Maybe 50%?

(I know about a third of my traffic is coming from the content network as of last week... which blew me away when I saw that stat.)
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

no adwords here, use to, but its gotten too expensive.
jc Send private email

15-20% of sales from adwords.
Duncan Send private email

if going with Adwords, I would recommend getting as much knowledge before hand about CTR etc. When I first entered I just went with the basic setup (monthly budget) with no results and felt like money down the drain. As a result I quit.

After few months, got back in after reading Perry Marshalls Adword book and got a better understanding. Now I am able to get far more for 1/5th of the original cost I started with.

I think, you may want to build your traffic organically and also supplement with other methods as you feel comfortable.
Executive dashboards

I agree it can be great for testing out landing pages and so on, as to some extent you can turn traffic on, see what happens, turn it off and make a few changes, turn it back on again...

Generally though it's just too pricey now and I noticed a distinct drop in my normal organic search position on Google. Quitting adwords altogether left me floating nowhere for awhile but then my organic rating crept back up. For one keyword combo I'm now back on the first page, whereas I dropped to page 20 or something stupid when actually paying Google for traffic.

Google is not your friend.

w
wabbit
Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I did find it useful for identifying keywords I'd not thought about before.

But it was pretty expensive. I was also annoyed that most clickthroughs didn't result in the user doing anything at all. The content network clicks also were coming a lot from places like MySpace where I very much doubt there is content closely related to my products.
Dr GUID Send private email

People are finding S3stat just fine without AdWords.  But then it could just be that my keywords are obscure enough that I rank organically near the top of the list for them anyway.

I actually tried setting up AdWords at one point, but Google rejected every single ad I proposed on the basis of trademark violation.  "Web Stats for Amazon S3".  I fought for a couple weeks trying to explain that the I sell services for Amazon S3, so I need to include the name.  No dice. 

One week of ads for "Web Stats for S3" and assorted varieties yielded zero conversions, so I just stopped the campaign.

My case is probably an exception though.  My customers are technical people who know how to find what they're looking for on Google and actively avoid clicking on advertisements.  Your results will likely vary.
Jason Kester Send private email

>The content network clicks also were coming a lot from places like MySpace where I very much doubt there is content closely related to my products.

You can selectively tell adwords not to run on specific sites:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2007/07/03/google-adwords-placement-performance-report/

>One week of ads for "Web Stats for S3" and assorted varieties yielded zero conversions, so I just stopped the campaign.

A week isn't long IMHO. I think you need to be prepared to spend months tweaking to make real progress, especially with the increased competition and ever rising minimum bids. But you can set a budget of a few dollars a day to avoid burning through too much cash.

Placement performance report is a godsend if you are doing Content Network w/o the conversion optimizer.  (Nowadays I only run them about once a week and read them even less.)
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Thursday, February 07, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics