* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Raising prices -- cross your fingers for me

I've finally decided to get off my duff and do the price hike I've been mulling for a while.

Downloadable version : $24.95 -> $29.95
CD version: $29.95 -> $37.45

Why: Well, when I started Bingo Card Creator I had that all-too-common thought that it wasn't worth charging money for.  (I was scared out of my whits to charge $15 for it, and "Charge more!" remains the best advice I have ever gotten here.) 

My customers have showed me over the last 18 months that it is indeed worth charging for.  Half of them already pay the new price, since they buy the CD version. 

I also am folding my Daily Bingo Cards word lists into the program and slapping 2.0 on it, so 200 extra activities ought to provide a wee bit of a boost in value, but really I don't think I need to do anything to justify a price increase.

When: I'm updating my site probably today or tomorrow to reflect the new prices, but will be essentially implementing them on Feburary 1st, as I'm also announcing a January Back to School Sale which essentially preserves the old prices.  I figure that is a nice way to ease my current trial users into the new pricing regime, as typically nobody buys my software between 12/15 and 1/5, and then there is a flood of folks buying for the start of the term.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Good luck.  We recently did something similar, and it was one of the best things we've done for our income stream.

Same philosophy will be applied to our upcoming software products ... build something small, charge a little.  Add features over several months, raise the pricing.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Anthony Presley Send private email

We recently raised prices and found no problems. However, this wasn't simply done to get more cash in the pocket but to compensate for the falling US dollar (we are Australian).
Simon Send private email

Good luck Patrick:

Make sure and report back about the changes in both the revenue generated and in the number of sales made. 

It's also easy to justify a price increase with inflation.  I mean, a McDonald's Big Mac is >$2.50.  I remember buying them for $.99 not that long ago.
Joshua Volz Send private email

I really admire the Bingo Card creator. To be honest I used to think things like: "It sounds and looks like a high school project, who would buy that? Why should I listen to any advice from this guy he's having a laugh isn't he?".

However, I now realise it seems to be a perfect microISV product. It has a very defined vertical market, does exactly what it says and provides value to the customers. All the best Patrick!
Dan

I raised my prices substantially a couple of years ago, the number of orders actually went up. Some customers seem to value a product by how much it costs.

Good luck!
Tony Edgecombe Send private email

Raising prices is a very addictive past time, as it always (in my experience) produces more customers.
Floyd Price Send private email

I raised my price from £17.95 to £19.95 when I went from v2 to v3. No discernible downward impact on sales.

You can always put the price down again if it doesn't work out.

Let us know how you get on.
Andy Brice Send private email

While you're increasing the price, why not increase the value as well:

try {
  UIManager.setLookAndFeel(
    UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
} catch (Exception e) {
}
my name is here

Look out.  Here comes Larry Ellison into your market.
OneMist8k

37.45 is kind of a weird price. I know it's related to $37.50 but it just feels odd.
frustrated

" 37.45 is kind of a weird price. I know it's related to $37.50 but it just feels odd."

Is it possible that $37.45 is the pre-tax price???

-Andrew
Andrew Send private email

Mark my words, a year from now you'll look back on this post and give a little chuckle.  You'll be fine.
Rich Send private email

I raised prices last October, and it didn't seem to affect sales, but it did increase revenue substantially. I sell mainly to large businesses, so prices aren't that important to my customers, my $20 - $100 price range is small change for the majority of them.

IMHO, the wealthier customers are a lot less bother tech support wise, which is another reason to raise prices.
Dr GUID Send private email
Thursday, January 03, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics