* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

exceeding the 20 sales/month loop..

Hi Guys,,

I've been stuck at selling 15-25 copies per month.

Initial release was back in march..  sold less than 10 copies in the first 2 months.. then it just picked up to 15-25 copies.. and been like this since.. 

How did you get the point of selling about 1copy per day.. how do you get to the level where you can sell 50 to 100 copies per month?
Loopi
Friday, December 28, 2007

What is your customer acquisition cost?
Allen David
Saturday, December 29, 2007

We've been at it about 6 years and with a $25 product are averaging about 58 copies per day this month. It takes time, patience and a lot of word-of-mouth.
Anon

wow Anon,

Those are some impressive figures..

would you mind telling me what the main source of purchases are coming from?

is it main google natural search?  adwords ?  download sites?

which one leads the greatest volume?
Loopi

We do not use AdWords at all as it was not producing results. Our best source is apple.com then Google. We have 2 full time people and 2 contract people. We also get a lot from blogs, but no one blog produces a majority.
Anon

@Loopi: how often do you update your application. You need to keep it in the spotlight and continuously add new features.

@Anon: Do you just have the single app or is this just one of many? Also, is your market fairly general or a specific niche? I'm just interested as to what sort of things you did to get up to that number of sales
Martin Pilkington Send private email

We have only one app... well, we have a couple others but they don't sell enough to be meaningful. The taget audience is very wide - not as wide as for a browser, but close.
Anon

"we have a couple others but they don't sell enough to be meaningful."

I don't know, they're only selling 15-25 copies less per month than your main application.

You're looking at your sales statistics in the wrong way.
Just walkin' past

I remember getting excited when my average sales of The Journal crossed the 1/day threshold. That seemed to take too long at the time. And still does, now I think about it... ;-)

I've had pretty steady growth over the years. I would say the growth stems mostly from:

* Regular updates (usually 3-4 year) with bug fixes and new features based on user feedback.
* Constant minor adjustments to the Web page, including...
* A monthly newsletter that adds new content to the Web page.

It also helps, I think, that I use my own product daily, so I'm in constant contact with it and can see it from both the developer's side and the user's side.

I keep hoping I'll find that One New Thing (either in the app or the Web page or marketing) that will propel sales through the roof. So far, though, I've had to settle for fairly modest growth over time.

My worst year had only 7% growth in new sales compared to the previous year. My best year saw a 68% increase. More common (I've been at this over 11 years) has been 20%-40%.

Just keep at it.

-David
David Michael Send private email

"I don't know, they're only selling 15-25 copies less per month than your main application. You're looking at your sales statistics in the wrong way. -Just walkin' past"

I am not the original poster. we are selling about 1800 copies of our main $25 app per month, and about 20 of our other similarly priced apps combined, so I don't think 1:90 is very significant.
Anon

Hi,

How do you get the word out about your product? There are a couple of fairly standard ratios and conversion rates that will tell you what your weakness is. Assuming your main problem is that you don't get enough visitors to your web site, how do you fix that? How do people normally find out about your product? Is it listed everywhere it should be? Was it mentioned by anyone in a blog, a newspaper article, or elsewhere? Why not? If it's worth anything, someone should want to talk about it.
The FairSoftware Guy Send private email
Sunday, December 30, 2007

"I am not the original poster. we are selling about 1800 copies of our main $25 app per month, and about 20 of our other similarly priced apps combined, so I don't think 1:90 is very significant."

Sorry, thought you were the OP. Ignore what I said.
Just walkin' past
Sunday, December 30, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics