* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Cheapest VPS hosting

Hi,

Would you share information about any lost cost VPS hosting solutions? Load will be something like on this forum. I plan to develop the app in PHP/MySQL.

Thanks
Anonymouse
Thursday, December 27, 2007

RimuHosting are worth a look.  I got a VPS with them 8 months ago and all's been great so far.  I think it's pretty cheap.
MB Send private email

I'm using www.eapps.com and have been very happy with it. I think the standard package is $20 a month.
Jeff Send private email

I've been using WebHost4Life VPS for about 6 months now.  It has honestly been my best hosting server experience.  Support is very quick and it allows me to mix PHP with my ASP.NET development.  I run a pretty popular PHP forum(InvisionPowerBoard) on the server and it loads and operates very quickly.  Much better than my previous shared hosting experience. 

http://www.webhost4life.com/vps.asp
Grinder Send private email

I've been using quantact.com for a very long time now and have been very happy with the service.
Benjamin Curtis Send private email

I couldn't say enough good things about SliceHost.
ADoss

I have been happy using tektonic.net for some years (but only for personal sites). Their plans start at 15 USD a month.
Martin Schultz Send private email
Saturday, December 29, 2007

+1 SliceHost.  Expect a long wait though.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

Sorry for the anonymous posting but I don't want the competition to find what I am interested in.

A couple of folks here recommended SliceHost. Can anyone using them comment on the total monthly downtime his server gets? What is the maximum continuous downtime that you got with them? Their page says that they do not oversell their service. Is it true, are the servers responsive? How is the support, do they reply quickly? Do they fix problems quickly? And do they have problems often?

Also Patrick, what do you mean by "Expect a long wait"?

Lots of questions, but I would like to get something good for the money I will pay...
A regular

Here's a list of good value managed vps plans:
http://www.hostingdiary.com/2007/09/best-vps-hostin.html

Andrew
Andrew J Send private email
Sunday, December 30, 2007

>>
Can anyone using them comment on the total monthly downtime his server gets? What is the maximum continuous downtime that you got with them? Their page says that they do not oversell their service. Is it true, are the servers responsive? How is the support, do they reply quickly? Do they fix problems quickly? And do they have problems often?

Also Patrick, what do you mean by "Expect a long wait"?
>>

My monthly downtime is... hmm...  well, my first server that I got with them is showing uptime of 190 days at the moment, and my monitoring service has reported it inaccessible once for a total of 15 minutes, which is the interval between pings.  So put that one down for a "negligible".

Servers are blazingly responsive, although I don't really put them under a heck of a lot of load.  If your application doesn't crap out, your server almost certainly will not.  I should note that I've never needed to survive a Digg but that is less a matter of hosting and more a matter of application design.  (If you cache intelligently, Slashdot and Digg could dance on your page all day long and you'd never know until you checked your analytics.  If it takes 10 SQL commands to render the target page, kiss your rump goodbye.)

What I mean by the wait: their fantastic service makes them really, really popular, so it isn't a matter of just "Press a button, enter credit card details, get access to server".  Last time I checked your options were a) wait a LONG time (months) or b) put down large unrefundable deposit (which your first serveral months of fees come out of, naturally).  Personally, I'd suggest plunking down 6 months or a year for the lowest level (256 MB of RAM) server, since after you have one server with them you can add more instantly (they keep a reserve for existing customers).

Ahh, turns out I'm lying, they recently cleared the wait list:

http://blog.slicehost.com/articles/2007/12/26/ding-dong-the-waitlist-is-dead

That would imply instant access after payment.

On service: I have never had an issue with my servers.  I had an issue with my Rails application once -- totally a newbie mistake -- and I walked into their support chatroom just to ask if anyone could help with it.  Their lead support guy walked me through it.  I'd put them in the class of Above and Beyond support efforts that previously I only really had e-junkie in.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Sunday, December 30, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics