* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Absolute utter adwords idiocy.

Okay, this is offtopic but oh well...

I'm looking to spend some money for brewers yeast to make some cheap home wine. Okay--so, I start my journey at amazon expecting there to be a 100 or so different products in this category. Well, there are: Evidentally, yeast is used as a nutritional supplement for humans and dogs. Okay. Total failure. So, I go to google and search for "brewers yeast" and find nothing good.

It seems like it should be a common product, and home-brewers make an easy-to-target market, but... Hmm. So, I'm getting pissed and I start clicking on the many, many adwords ads that show up under "brewers yeast". Completely worthless. I can't believe someone is showing THIS page:

http://www.bullysticks.com/

...for the search phrase "brewers yeast". And that was the #2 position ad! Do you know what a bully stick is? Take a guess and then look at the page. Unreal. I can find that product easily, but not yeast for making wine.

Anyway--does anyone know where I can find yeast for a decent price? (I'm unwilling to pay 50 cents a packet. Might as well just buy Manishevitz.)
my name is here
Friday, December 21, 2007

It might not be apparent, but if your first Google search doesn't give you the results you want, you're allowed to search again with different keywords.

Limit of three searches per customer.

http://tinyurl.com/27nu7o
Craig Welch Send private email

woa.. no way I'll ever give that to my dogs :-)
cedsav Send private email

different keywords

--> Hey, my keywords were just fine. The first company that advertises for them specifically is going to capture the 10-20 percent of people who search for that rather than t'other. Ugh, these prices are nuts:

http://www.houseofhops.com/dryyeast.html

...this stuff grows easier than bathroom mold. Why so expensive?
my name is here

"--> Hey, my keywords were just fine."

Ummm ... we beg to differ.

Ask yourself a question:  how many people in the U.S. brew their own beer or wine (I'll assume you're in the U.S.)?

Now ask yourself another question: how many people in the U.S. take supplements and/or vitamins?

Google doesn't know that a small percentage of those looking for brewer's yeast are looking for it for brewing beer.  It also doesn't know that a much larger percentage are looking for it as an ingredient in supplements.  What it does know is that there is a commonality so it returns sites that exhibit that commonality.  And home brewers apparently are not the most common searchers for brewer's yeast.

If you ask for something from a search engine, and it returns results you don't expect, then that's your fault, not the engine's.  Search engines don't have intelligence, they just have algorithms.

If you want a different result, input different data.  It's really that simple - there is no need to get upset or to call something "idiocy."
Karl Perry Send private email

I've never heard of people eating yeast as a supplement, but I've heard of lots of people brewing beer/wine, but I don't have statistics at first hand.

My point is simply that someone selling beer/wine supplies would be very wise to advertise for the keywords "brewers yeast", whereas a person selling bull penises probably is unwise to advertise for the same. Likewise, google's "quality score" should be very, very low when associating "brewers yeast" with "bull penises". Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think so...
my name is here

As a fellow brewer, I'm surprised at your results -- "brewers yeast" is exactly what I would have searched for as well.

In any event, I always buy my gear from these guys --> http://www.northernbrewer.com/
Definitely not doggy chew toys...
Saturday, December 22, 2007

I think that your google-foo is weak. I searched on "brewer's yeast" with quotes (rather than "brewers yeast" which isn't the same thing, if it's anything at all) and got a number of good hits on the first page. I could have narrowed down the results a bit by adding -vitamin and -nutrition to exclude the health-food stuff. Here's a link:

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=%22brewer's+yeast%22

Now, getting good results in the "Shopping" section of google was a little more challenging (in fact, I gave up after three tries, including -vitamins, -nutrition, -medical, -supplements, -tablet and +brewing) so there still appear to be some idiosyncracies with some google searches.

I run into this crap pretty frequently, but I don't think it has as much to do with ad-words as it does with certain search terms that are simply too vague or too popular outside of the area I'm interested in. Google does a pretty good job a lot of the time, but they are far from perfect.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email

www.bullysticks.com. Ewww. So thats what we can do with the leftovers once we have castrated all the spammers.
Andy Brice Send private email

Warning: this may be blindly obvious to logically minded programmers:

The trick with a Google search is what I call "triangulation" : pick several words that would all be likely to be on the same page about your subject but would not normally appear together.

Brewer's yeast : these words appear together a lot: 131k results.

But if you just add "beer" to that you get a much more manageable list:

brewer's yeast beer: 53K results

And limit further: brewer's yeast beer, 28k

And now narrow further b/c we know we want to buy it and have it shipped:  "brewer's yeast" beer (ship or buy): .58k  results.  First few results look very promising.
http://tinyurl.com/3cx4gq
Mr. Analogy Send private email

Perhaps the _brewers yeast_ query is not the most advanced use of Google, but it is representative of what 90% of G users would use as a query. Few non-programmers or net-geeks know about using quotes, negative kw (-) etc.. This is where a search engine like Clusty shines. You don't need to do "triangulation", repeat searches etc... just write one dumb query and work your way down the tree at left. Try entering _brewers yeast_ at clusty.com.
Oliver Send private email
Sunday, December 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics