* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Everything works except AdWords - how come?

I am getting tens of visitors daily on my new site and about 15% of them convert. The visits are mostly a result of direct marketing (posting to highly relevant forums, blogs, etc). Most of the visists record as 'direct' in Analytics but I also get some referals from a couple sites where my site got listed and even a few visits from organic Google search.

However whatever I do I cannot get clicks from AdWords. I had a few hudreds impressions for the past few days and only ONE single click which was immediately bounced.
I tried lots of different keywords (about 300) with no luck. I checked myself and my ad is showing when I search for my keywords.

Am I doing something wrong or I shall just assume that AdWords is not for my product?
TN Send private email
Monday, December 17, 2007

a 1% click thru rate (CTR) is not unusual. We usually have a 0.5%  to 2.0%. But, remember you're only paying for the actual clicks, not the impressions.
Mr. Analogy Send private email

Dont give up

99.99% of my sales are directly from Adwords..

That said.. I have not spend any other efforts on marketing or submitting to download sites just yet.. 

keep working at it..

If you are getting very few impressions.. u might have to bump up your keyword cost per click..

try the adword optimizer option when you login to it.

might give some good suggestions..

I have about 100 keywords..  but i manage to get about 2000-3000 impressions.

roubly 2.5% clickthrough

adword works.. :)

google should pay me for promoting adwords so much :)
Markito

If your clickthrough rate is <0.5% then I would guess either:
-you aren't bidding enough (what is the average position of your ads?)
-your ads aren't very compelling
-you have picked the wrong keywords
-you haven't got the right negative keywords
-you are advertising in places where people are unlikely to buy (e.g. China)
Adwords takes quite a lot of effort to set up and maintain and it works better for some products than others (depending on price, keyword competition etc).
Andy Brice Send private email

By "convert" do you mean "Request a free copy"? (Just out of curiosity, since I can't see where to purchase)
Phil Send private email

I'm using Adwords and I'm getting CTR's varying from 2.00% to 15.00%. If improving your CTR is the only problem, please get Google Adwords for Dummies or The Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords. Reading those two books improved my average CTR from 0.75% to 3.00%.

However I'm still working on actually converting my Adword visitors, which for me is a lot harder problem than the CTRs.
Praveen Angyan Send private email

AdWords is a bit confusing, but the way it works, or seems to work, is, the more relevant your search words in your ads, combined with your payment per click the higher your CTR. The higher your CTR, the higher you rise in Google adds, and this more clicks and relevant clicks you get for your words. Yaho doesnt work quite that way, but I guess Google does.

So, work on your keywords as they affect your ads and their placement.
mr. web

Phil, yes I track 'Request free copy' for conversion. That's what is important for me at the moment :-)

My average position is 4.9 (around 1-3 on most relevant keywords, about 6-8 on broader keywords).

I even tried bidding on some not so relevant keywords but Google started penalizing me by inactivating relevant keywords so I had to remove those irrelevant ones. Now I have about 390 active keywords (all broad matching), Google says they are relevant, that the ad is showing, but still no clicks.

I am targeting only US at the moment. I indeed get lots of emails from interested people so I am sure there is a need for what I advertise, I just can't get it work in Adwords.

OK, thanks for advices, I will keep trying.
TN Send private email
Tuesday, December 18, 2007

just for testing..

add some popular keyword

like antivirus

or say  bmw..

isee if you get any impression on those.. 

if you dont..then something is wrong with your campaign.
Markito

Thanks, Markito, I like 'bmw', will try it :-)
TN Send private email

Markito,

I am not sure that the test you suggest is such a good idea. Google may decide not to show TN's ad for BMW simply because it is completely irrelevant to his site. What would that prove?

TN says he got penalized for using irrelevant keywords. Why suggest using 'BMW'?? It's only going to hurt him more.

Besides, he's getting impressions. It's just that the CTR isn't all that great.

TN:

Here's what I think: If you aren't getting clicks when you are at number 1-3 position then either the kw is irrelevant or the ad text is bad. It's amazing how much of a difference your ad text can make. When I started out with Adwords I as in your situation. I changed my ad text a bit and bingo my CTR shot through the roof. There is a lot of info on the web about how to write your ad text.

Make use of the system's ability to show several ad variations that you can track independently, and let each ad variation run long enough that you can assert that it really is performing poorly.
Oliver Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics