* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Hebrew Spam? WTF?

I've noticed over the past year or so that I've begun receiving several more spam emails written completely in Hebrew at my main business email address. I never used to get spam in Hebrew.

I'm just wondering if others are seeing this too? I've never visited a Hebrew or Israeli website (just have no reason to, I can't read it anyway), so it boggles my mind. And it irritates me.

They must be buying bulk email (spam) lists of email addresses and just blasting the garbage out? My last name is Scottish/Irish, so they couldn't have done any kind of targeting.

I just wonder what the point is, since almost nobody can read the crap anyway. Most of the world isn't going to be able to read the spam, so why bother to fill millions of email boxes in the hopes of finding a few who might be able to read it? Seems kind of stupid to me..

Have any of you been bombarded with regular deliveries of Hebrew SPAM recently?
Tim Patterson Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

Yes, Hebrew and Chinese and Russian and other languages. It costs less to blast out to everybody than figure out who might speak the language.
Mac

I also get some Russian spam too (just now in fact), but less than all the Hebrew spam lately.

I definitely can't read this either, "Коттеджный поселок".

Haven't received anything in Chinese recently though.

Email is becoming increasingly less useful. I wade through and delete 60 spam messages to get to the 10 I actually want to read. At times I delete emails I should have read when the author created a Subject line that resembled spam, and it got caught up in a bulk delete I was doing of stuff I thought looked like spam.

I have a ton of filters created, so I guess it could be worse. I'm really thinking of just making people go through the contact form on my website(s) and creating a new address to collect those from since my web contact forms aren't subject to bulk emailing.

The ROI on this sort of spam must be pretty poor.  It is amazing people still hire spammers.
ItchyTeeth
Friday, December 14, 2007

"Most of the world isn't going to be able to read the spam, so why bother to fill millions of email boxes in the hopes of finding a few who might be able to read it?"

Well, during last 5-10 years spammers have made the same with English: sending thillions of messages to accounts outside USA/UK hoping to reach the 5% of the population that know any of English.

It was a question of time, the good think is that spam messages in foreign languages (either English or Hebrew) are a lot easier to recognize by users and by the bayesian filters.

I predict that in the next years we will be flooded with Chinese spam messages! :)
Francesc, from BCN

I've been getting flooded with Chinese spam for about 2 years.  It is irritating... Happily my anti-spam filters in Outlook and HelpSpot are now doing an excellent job of blocking it.
Doug

Francesc, actually I think that the next logical step for the spammers is to start sending multi-language emails, i.e. the same message will contain the same text duplicated in English, Hebrew, Russian and Chinese :-)
Vesselin Atanasov Send private email

"I wade through and delete 60 spam messages to get to the 10 I actually want to read."

Sounds like you need a good spam filtering system on your email server. I actually blacklisted most of asia's ip ranges...or at least all the IP ranges that were sending me spam.  My spam traffic cut in half.  I am not worried about missing an email from Thailand.
Dan H Send private email

Text spam is not the worst - wait when VoIP technology becomes mature and every one's anwer machine is full of foreign language voice spams...
Glitch

"Patterson" simply ends with "-son" - that's all.
asmguru62 Send private email

The weird one I've been seeing lately is spam being sent through the envelope doohickeys in this forum in response to message posts.  That has to be one of the most painfully unproductive ways to send spam that exists!

Perhaps it's time to add a FogBugz requirement that a user be logged in before they can reply to a forum post via e-mail?
Tom Rath Send private email

Used to get Chinese and Korean spam till my ISP installed better filters.

There's nothing special about Hebrew in this regard except that it points to an Israeli spammer (targeting the internal market and Israeli emigres) instead of Chinese or Korean.
frustrated

"Коттеджный поселок"

I took a year of Russian, if I remember correctly that is

Kotedzhnie Poselok,

phonetically, absolutely no idea what it might mean.
frustrated

Tom: I've been getting that too, and apparently they're working on it. Undoubtably they have a script to spam for them :p

The weird one, I'm finding, is that Apple, apparently, is sending me spam in Spanish. Go figure.
Jivlain Send private email

"Коттеджный поселок" = "Cottage town" - something between a village and a resort.
asmguru62 Send private email

"Dan H" has the right idea. When I used to run my own servers I also blocked many class A and B IP ranges from APNIC, and it reduced my spam quite a lot.

Maybe I need to move things back to a server of my own again and block all APNIC IPs, along with IP ranges from the middle-east and Russia too. I can't read what they send, so there's no point in receiving it..
Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics