* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

AdWords...am I doing something wrong?

So I had done AdWords in the past and it was straightforward. I gave Google some keywords, they gave me some clicks, I gave them some cash.

I just started using AdWords again for my new product I released, and originally when I did the traffic estimator on my various keywords, it sounded like I would be placed in the top 10 for various keywords at a price of $.20 a click.  Well I set it at that for a day and no clicks or impressions.  Google says my quality score is fine, but I'm not appearing on the front page, try bidding more.  So I bid up to $.50 next.  Still not even one impression.  Today I took it to a dollar a click just to see if it's working...and still nothing.  Surely I deserve at least an impression or two for a dollar a click! (My keywords are all budget related).

Am I missing something crucial?  Google says my campaigns are Active?  (PS why do Deleted campaigns stay around to haunt you?)
Phil Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

In another thread I commented how a one day change for a promo screwed up my quality rating. I reverted back to my normal ads and everything seemed fine again... for a few days.

Now, it's all wonky. It seems impossible to optimize price / position. The daily variation is awful.

I wonder whether there is a holiday effect driving up prices across the board for new ads and new variations of old ads.
Nick Hebb Send private email

Using budget optimizer, make sure your budget is set high enough given the popularity of the keywords you choose. For example, if you set too low a budget and you pick a high traffic keyword, you will not get any impressions right away as google's algorithms will try to smooth out your expenses over the month. Showing your ads right away would eat too much of your budget since it is so low. Try raising your budget and/or picking less active keywords.
Christopher Bruno of n! labs

Might seem obvious, but make sure that your date range is set correctly.
ADoss

No date range is set...start date is 12/7, run forever.  I have no monthly budget, just a daily budget of $10.  I'm just mystified at getting zero impressions!
Phil Send private email

Try this..  in the same adgroup.. add other keywords that are not related to your product.. see if any of those get impressions..

just a bunch of other useless keywords to your product.. just to test if any of them get impressions.. :)
Markito
Friday, December 14, 2007

It could be that your adwords violates one of adwords policy eg: landing page with a lot of Adsense (not adwords) (this was violates adwords policy, I do not know about it now). Just email adwords supports and see what they reply to you
Kiyut Send private email

>when I did the traffic estimator on my various keywords

The Google traffic estimator is pretty worthless in my experience. And this is a very slow time of year for non-Xmas related things.
Andy Brice Send private email

>>
The Google traffic estimator is pretty worthless in my experience.
>>

+1.  Only thing it is good for is avoiding the keywords that have the Keyword Competition bar set to all green.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics