* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

dpdirectory & softpressrelease

Has anyone had a chance to try both and find out something conclusive about their effectiveness?

Or perhaps other comparable services in the same price range?

I did look in the archives but didn't find much, apart from a couple a negative experiences and one promise of a comparison that was never posted.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

I've used both a few times.

It's easier to see results from Soft Press Release as they target online, whereas Al targets magazine editors. They're different in that way, so trying to compare them is a bit tough. You can't always track results from magazines easily, whereas from online press releases you can track them better.

You can get some results for press releases with RoboSoft as it includes a decent number of press release sites, but you're still better off using Soft Press Release for that. (Or doing both really.)
Ryan Smyth Send private email

I can't comment on effectiveness, but would recommend reading through dpdirectory newsletter archive to get a feel for quality of service.

http://www.dpdirectory.com/3newsltr.htm

Dpdirectory is run by Al Harberg. I've attended seminars by him at past SIC conferences and was impressed by his knowledge about marketing and press releases. Some of his advice seems obvious and dated, but I'm always surprised how many micro ISVs miss obvious details.
Peter Gadzinski Send private email

I send 2 press releases of different products of my company.
Must say that I wasn't amazed with the result - no traffic or high interest.
Press releases themself were good enough, high level, no basic logical/syntax errors.

For now I am not using them at all after that 2 tests.
SavaJr Send private email
Saturday, December 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics