* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Which company registrar for a UK Ltd.?

Hello! Can you recommend a few serious companies which would register a UK Limited and open a bank account for a non-UK resident?
NNL
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"non-UK resident" is pretty vague.
Where ARE you based?

Dan.
Daniel Tietze Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

Well, that should be irrelevant. Even if I'm not an EU-citizen (for example), it should be possible to register a company in the UK. So, any suggestions?
NNL

I don't think a serious company would touch this with a barge-pole, unless you had an opening balance on the account of a few million - they'd have the drug, fraud and anti-terrorism squads beating down their door (possibly literally) in seconds.
Syd Send private email

In any free market economy (at least for what I know), it's possible to OWN a company, no matter from where you are. (I'd use my own name, send them official copies of my personal documents prior to registration etc.). Managing it should also be possible for smaller operations (maybe even with a few employees - see 37 signals, which started virtually) as you can do many things electronically and pay for sending you the snailmail and for office services (someone who'd answer the phone in your name etc.). Services which even many resident companies use. Someone with criminal intent would probably register a company somewhere else.
NNL

>>
I don't think a serious company would touch this with a barge-pole, unless you had an opening balance on the account of a few million - they'd have the drug, fraud and anti-terrorism squads beating down their door (possibly literally) in seconds.
>>

Unless the UK drug, fraud, and anti-terrorism squads got substantially more vigilant than the US drug, fraud, and anti-terrorism squads and forgot to send me the memo, I'm guessing this is both possible and fairly routine. 

I never get over how many people here think it is impossible to open a US bank account from overseas -- as if we just wouldn't accept the furriners money and all of the billions that comes through the international economy every day is carried over the border by an American citizen with a tote bag... 

Plus, crikey, the oldest UK's global banks have probably been doing this for about four to five centuries now.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

http://www.jordans.co.uk/

They do most of the UK company formations.
Tony Edgecombe Send private email

I don't think there is such a thing as a "UK" company - I'm pretty sure that company registration in Scotland is completely separate.
Arethuza

There is a single registration for UK companies.
http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/

There is (AFAIK) no residency requirement, although you have to provide a registered address - this can be a PO box or a lawyers office.
It only costs £20 to form a company in the UK + the cost of having the application witnesssed by a solictor.

Getting a UK bank account might be trickier - there are 'know your customer' laws similair to the US and most banks handle these by just refusing small foreign customers as too much trouble.

I wouldn't worry too much about goverment scrutiny - they are busy announcing that 25% of the security guards employed to guard public and military sites have been found to be illegal immigrants!
Martin Send private email

Martin: "I wouldn't worry too much about goverment scrutiny - they are busy announcing that 25% of the security guards employed to guard public and military sites have been found to be illegal immigrants!"

Not forgetting the almost daily announcements regarding IT project cock-ups and personal data loss from pretty much every government department ;-)
Entries of Confusion Send private email

They aren't all late and useless though - a system to prevent Viking raids has fianlly been completed and is proving very effective ;-)
Martin Send private email

"I don't think a serious company would touch this with a barge-pole, unless you had an opening balance on the account of a few million - they'd have the drug, fraud and anti-terrorism squads beating down their door (possibly literally) in seconds"

You reckon?

To the original poster, just buy a copy of The Economist. Thumb to the last pages. Choose any one of a dozen or more companies who will do exactly what you want.
Craig Welch Send private email
Friday, December 14, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics