* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Adwords - how do you find keywords to bid on?

My product is a Flex testing tool and I bid on keywords containing words Flex, test, tool, automation and other similar stuff. Is this the way to go or there is some other magic approach in finding the right keywords?

And a second related question: I am bidding on 'flex automation' keyword (without quotes) with broad match. When I search myself for 'flex automation' (again without quotes) I can see my ad, but it does not appear when searching for flex 3 automation (added number 3 in the middle). Am I missing something about broad match logic?
TN Send private email
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Trawl through your log files

Scan your competitors sites for keywords

Use a thesaurus

Use a tool like Word Tracker
Tony Edgecombe Send private email

Targetting the *RIGHT* keywords is not a trivial endeavor. You can waste a LOT of time, energy, and money if you target the wrong ones.

Looking in your web logs or stats is a good starting point, but DO NOT rely on it. Those are only the ones you *are* getting traffic from. Use them as a starting point.

Different systems use different terms, but go for KEI - (Keyword Effectiveness Index). Make sure to target keywords with a large enough volume of searches. That's critical to a good SEO campaign.

I have numerous #1 positions in Google, but a lot of them are relatively meaningless. That is, a few keywords do most of the real work in getting a LOT of visitors. Those are the important ones. Of course there are other terms that I could target as well, but getting the ones with volume is the most important. i.e. Who cares if you're #1 for a term if it only gets you 10 visitors a month?

You can even have terms that rank 7 or 8, or even 25 and still get LOTS of traffic from them. Sure the other top results are getting more than you, but you can still get good volumes from the right terms.

Check out the Google Trends utility - it's a good starting place. You won't get everything you need from it, but it's a decent tool to compare terms directly from Google. No absolute numbers though. :(
Ryan Smyth Send private email

Thanks for advices.

One thing I still do not understand. Why is 'broad' not working the way Google describes it?
TN Send private email

The key is to ask yourself: what would my target audience type in as a search term if they were looking for products like mine? Or looking to solve the problems that my product solves?
Peter Send private email

Google trends can give you sort of exact numbers if you compare a keyphrase you're testing with a keyphrase you do have numbers for:

"keyphrase to test", "keyphrase you know numbers for"

Keyphrases without much traffic don't register on the chart, but you might be able to get a rough idea of traffic from the bars below.
MB Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

>i.e. Who cares if you're #1 for a term if it only gets you 10 visitors a month?

All those 'long tail' terms can soon add up.
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, December 13, 2007

The product names of former competitors or abandoned open source projects can be lucrative.
Dr GUID Send private email
Wednesday, December 19, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics