* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Methodical AdWords Management

I need to overhaul my AdWords management. Over time I've done a little of this, a little of that, with so-so results. Some things work, and others don't.

What I feel is missing is a systematic approach to managing my ad campaigns. I've considered buying Tyler Perry's AdWords book, but I'm read mixed reviews of that.

Does anyone here have a system? Not onesy-twosy ideas - I've been down that path. I really need a structured approach to setting up and managing campaigns.
Nick Hebb Send private email
Sunday, December 09, 2007

Oops. That should be "Perry Marshall's AdWords book" - unless there's a Tyler Perry's AdWords Reunion movie coming to DVD soon. :-P

I'm currently reading Adwords for Dummies, think it's pretty good.
Yanic Inghelbrecht Send private email

What about talking to the shareware promotions guy.

There might be some useful info on his site as well.

All the best.
framework

"I've considered buying Tyler Perry's AdWords book, but I'm read mixed reviews of that."

I'm not familiar with that book, but are you confusing it with Perry Marshall's Adword book?  That one is pretty decent in my opinion.
Mike Stephenson Send private email

Perry Marshall's AdWords book clarified the whole system for me.  I thoroughly recommend it.  It is an easy read and doesn't try to overcomplicate things.
Derek Pollard Send private email
Monday, December 10, 2007

I also found Perry Marshall's book to be excellent.  However, I wonder if you might be a bit past the information contained within it - it's about split testing, writing effective ads, negative keywords, geo-targeting, turning off content network etc. - things I'm guessing you're probably doing already.  No harm in getting it anyway, as it's not expensive and you might find a few bits new and useful.

Perhaps what you want is an alternative interface to AdWords to make managing and organizing all those keyphrases a bit easier.  I've not tried any, so I can't recommend anything in particular, but I think there are several out there.  In fact, Google has its own desktop adwords editor:

http://www.google.com/adwordseditor

There was a paid online AdWords-management tool that I heard quite a bit about (it was claiming to do some pretty clever things), but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, sorry.  I'll email you if I come across it.
MB Send private email

I might buy Perry Marshall's book. I've resisted so far because I'm wary of information products.

My biggest problem with AdWords management is hard to describe. With keyword discovery & management, bid vs. position management, conversion tracking, website optimization, and other factors, I feel like I'm dealing with this big amorphous blob of data.

I guess I'm wishing that there was one tool to rule them all. Something that tied it all together.

BTW, I downloaded the latest version (4.0) of the AdWords desktop tool. I tried version 1.0 previously, but it had some major bugs. The new version looks good, but it won't connect to my account. Hopefully I'll get that ironed out, but in the meantime, if anyone has feedback on using it over the web based tools, I'd be interested.

Nick, While Google continue to charge for transactions made through the AdWords API, I doubt that you will have your ‘one tool to rule them all’.  It makes competing with the AdWords Editor very difficult in many ways.
Derek Pollard Send private email
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Derek - I think you're right. For a company "built on open source" they sure don't strike me as very open.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics