* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

mISV from Russia here?

Are there any mISV from Russia here who incorporated in USA?

Can you give me some advises?
Do you find is it OK, incorporated in USA and doing business from Russia?

Any advantages, drawbacks?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Evgeny
Evgeny Send private email
Monday, December 03, 2007

Some folks here has Russian last names (like me).

Personally, I believe it's OK to register a company in US (or Canada) and operate it from overseas. You'll need a trustee, someone who will register the company, open bank account, and so on, and so on.

The big question is why do you want to do it? You won't be able to pretend you're American. Timezone, phone number, accent when speaking over the phone ... why, really?
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email
Tuesday, December 04, 2007

>> The big question is why do you want to do it?
That's good question. Why?

My product is most for businesses, with a price of 300 - 500  USD.
They said that some American companies will not deal with foreign companies at all.
Being US company - more sales here.
Is it myth?

Yes I know I can't pretend I am American
But If things goes well I can find somebody in US to deal with customers.
Evgeny Send private email
Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Evgeny,

honestly, don't bother.

Companies that won't buy from non-US companies represent less than 0.01% of the market. Don't worth the trouble. 

Btw, you can register 1-800 phone number and redirect it to your cell phone in Russia.
Sergey Kornilov Send private email
Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Evgeny,

I believe that depending your market, simply stating on your site that you are a US based company can multiply your sales, so incorporating in US might be worth it. This is something I am considering to do, just not sure how yet.
Anon

There are companies on the net that will do that for you for one or two hundred dollars. You will probably need an accountant to help you with American taxes after that, though.
rubinelli

I did the incorporation after lots of investigations and trying different approaches - don't use US company.

It really makes sense when you are larger vendor, small isv's don't need all that.

You will never work/talk like american, it will always be obvious that you are non-native, so better be yourself.

If your software is too specific - get some US sales people to work with you (power resellers, power affiliates etc). You will need market insider to assist you.
Ruslan Savchyshyn Send private email

Yes, I imagine some companies would prefer dealing with a US based reseller rather than your company directly. I've had some nice orders from large and small companies this way, so I am now looking to create a network of resellers around the world.
Anon

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics