* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Anyone using Lunarpages for web hosting?

Hi,

Some time ago I've joined OISV just out of interest. At that time, I've been looking for a web hosting. Those guys at OISV (I mean CoffeeCup and Tucows guys) seem to have a deal with Lunarpages. I've evaluated Lunarpages, and they looked good. So, I am now using Lunarpages for about a year, and haven't had any problems so far.

However, some recent discussions with Mr. Longo on this forum make me think Lunarpages is not that "cool". I understand Lunarpages is not CoffeeCup, but anyway.. anyone using Lunarpages? Would love to hear from you.

Thanks.
Anon
Monday, December 03, 2007

I have been using Lunar pages for a couple of years now. I moved one of my main sites away after it got hacked. And I am glad I did. Since lunar pages does not offer SSH access, it was a problem updating my sites. Also in recent times, their support has been less than stellar.

Hope this helps.

One of the things that I do not like about lunarpages, is that they force you to change your passwords every few months. So it is very easy to forget your own passwords. You cannot reset them automatically, it is needed to email someone in support to do it for you.

You have also to create an account to get access to their support forums.

It seems that someone inside lunarpages is paranoid.
I am currently migrating everything from lunarpages to dreamhost.
hectorsq Send private email

I use them and haven't had many problems.  The biggest issue so far is that my rebill failed (CC on file had expired) and getting it fixed was a minor ordeal.
Jason Send private email

I have been using Lunarpages for a year or so.

I haven't had any problems.

They do not ask me to change any passwords.
Gautam Jain Send private email
Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I am using lunarpages for several years, no problems, recommended site to some friends, they are happy too.
slaven Send private email

I use lunarpages. Excellent web hosting.

They're a pretty awesome company honestly. I signed up on a whim in 2005 when I needed to get a site for a small project. Now I also use them for my business website and referred a friend to them too. Their only fault is that support times can be slow over the phone, but since I haven't had the need to call them often, I don't mind waiting 5-10 minutes to speak with them. I hear that's pretty low in the industry anyway.
Anna Lee King Send private email

I went with Lunarpages a few months ago based on reviews I read. My site went down a few times and I had issues connecting via FTP that just appeared and disappeared. Lunarpages could not explain the down time I was experiencing and didn't seem to care. I tried to get out of my two year contract and they refused (bc it was just after the 30 day period). After going back and forth with them (I offered to pay a pro rated amount) and their continued refusal, I finally had my CC company reverse the charge... and Lunarpages eventually figured it out.

I'm with godaddy now and the customer support is much better than any other hosting service I've been with (PowWeb, X-something-or-other). No problems so far...
Reyrj Send private email

I've been with Lunarpages for almost a year and I haven't experienced any problems.  The price is right, the customer service is decently responsive, and between FTP, CPanel, and PHPMyAdmin it isn't too difficult to access.

SSH access would be ideal, but I get by without it.
Cody Hess Send private email
Sunday, December 09, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics