* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Desparate for good Backup software

Yes, I know, there are (literally?) thousands of backup apps.  I can't seem to find a single one that:
1. Runs on Windows
2. Compresses to common ZIP format
3. Writes to dual-layer DVDs (the whole 8-9GB)

That last item, writing to both layers of a DVD is where they all seem to fall over.  As soon as I had more than 4.3GB, the apps have an error (something about crossing over from one layer to another).  It can't be impossible--Nero can do it (of course it doesn't do #2).

I have about 7GB of compressed data that I need to backup and can't seem to find a backup app that write it to a single DVD.  Sure I could use multiple DVDs, but that's a pain point I want to avoid.
Doug
Saturday, October 20, 2007

What do you want to use it for?

After a lot of juggling with DVD's and external USB drives,
I choose to use an on line backup service, provided by a trustworthy company. It's much more convenient, and not too expensive at 5 euro per month for an unlimited amount of data.
All my data is backed up every day, and they put it replicated in two underground bunkers separated a few hundred kilometres apart. So it feels rather safe.

I guess a service like this is available in your area as well.
David Send private email

Nero does it. It doesn't LOOK like a ZIP, but it is a zip - just open the file with any ZIP compliant application.

Their BackItUp app does leave a lot to be desired, but does the essential job and has Nero burning engine at its disposal.
Drazen Dotlic

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm#Bfeatures

CobianBackup

Don't know about #3, but it's free and opensource (Delphi Rules!!!!).
TheDelphiNerd

I use carbonite backup service for a constant backup on my dev machine. It works well.
ian Send private email

Does anyone have any security concerns with the online backup services (e.g. Carbonite)? That is what keeps me reluctant from using such a service.
Joel Marcey Send private email

I'm with Joel.  It's probably a somewhat naive concern, but I feel a lot better knowing my DVDs are accessible to me at my bank's safe deposit box.  Don't have to worry about hackers, power outages, lost backup tapes in employee's cars, or the company going out of business.

Thanks for the suggestions above.  I'll take a look.
Doug

SyncBackSE from 2BrightSparks:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/

is very good.  I use it to make nightly backups of my VMWare instances and upload them to a remote server.  It is very configurable, and cheap for what it can do.
Jamroom Brian Send private email

Looks like CobianBackup and SyncBackupSE are like most backup programs: They'll do #1 and #2, but can't write to the full capacity of a dual-layer DVD.

Trying Nero BackItUp...
Doug

Doug,

If you choose Amazon S3 as the online backup provider, you may not have to worry about some of the concerns you have mentioned above. For data theft concern, you can always encrypt the data before uploading.
saurabh

Sorry for the trivial question, but is Nero BackItUp a standalone product or part of the Nero 8 suite only. I went to the BackItUp 2 page, but I don't see anywhere to download/buy just it.

Thanks.
Joel Marcey Send private email

http://www.genie-soft.com/

Their software is great. Their marketing is poor. Great value for the price. They do ZIP and DVD, tape, ftp, more.
Joe Knapp Send private email

I'll chip in with Backup4All - nice software.  Not sure about the dual layer dvd stuff - assume this depends on the drivers and such?
Carp
Sunday, October 21, 2007

If you decide to go the online backup route, you may want to consider:

http://www.backup.com

They seem to be an established company and claim to use encryption during both transport and storage.

Their software scans for changes and performs incremental backups, so you shouldn't have to upload your entire 7GB with each backup.

Having said that, I'm paranoid, too. So I totally understand your preference for DVDs.
Brian/DC
Sunday, October 21, 2007

I have a simple but very effective ad-hoc solution.

Nero takes command line parameters, so just use Nero to burn the DVDs.

If you want, e-mail me and i'll help you with it.

What i've done is pretty rustic, but solves my needs (which are simple, i agree) much better than any software i've seen.
I just have a batch file (yes good 'ol .bat) that zips up the folders i need to backup (with Winzip command line), and when it ends it burns a DVD automatically using the Nero command line.

It runs every night at 4AM, and at the end displays a notepad in the screen of the server telling me how well it went.

Just my 2 cents.
Daniel Magliola Send private email
Friday, November 02, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics