* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Text2Go on Bits Du Jour

I recently listed Text2Go on Bits Du Jour. Here is my report.

Bits Du Jour is a software discount site that features one software title per day at a deeply reduced price.

Text2Go is a relatively new product. My aim was to use Bits Du Jour as a way of getting some exposure for Text2Go and rapidly acquiring some new users. I was not looking to make a huge pile of cash.

My major concerns before committing to the sale were.

1. Should I associate my brand with a discount software site? Will it make my product look cheap and nasty.

2. Will I annoy customers who have just made a purchase at the full price?

3. What happens if no one buys my product, even at a highly reduced price. I would force me to admit that I couldn't even give my software away.

4. What happens if start getting lots of sales but then my shopping cart goes down or someone finds a major bug in my product?

A number of other MicroISV's have listed their products on Bits Du Jour and have had great success, so I was quite comfortable with the reputation of Bits Du Jour. Their site looks very professional. The home page advertises just the software on sale that day. There are no Google Adsense ads, or other promotions.

During the Text2Go sale, they actually switched over to their new site template. Thankfully the switch over was seamless. The new template has a fresher look but still retains the character of the old site.

I decided to advertise the Bits Du Jour sale on my site a few days before the actual sale to ensure that potential customers didn't pay full price leading up to the sale.

I also updated my shopping cart to give the same discounts during the sale. I didn't want customers to pay different prices depending on whether they found Text2Go directly or through Bits Du Jour.

As it turns out this was a good decision. We decided that the Buy Now button on Bits Du Jour would link to the shopping cart on my site. This would give customers the option of purchasing Text2Go, additional voice modules and CDs.

Products are featured in the Previews page on the Bits Du Jour site for a week leading up to the sale. As soon as Text2Go appeared on this page I started watching my download stats like a hawk, figuring that people intending to purchase Text2Go on the day would start downloading it to try it out.

Things did not look good. For the first few days there were almost no additional downloads. It was only on the last day that I got a dozen or so extra downloads.

For the first hour of the sale, there were no purchases. I was worried that either there was a problem with the shopping cart/purchase process or no one was interested.

Then the first sale came through, followed by a couple more. At this stage it was pretty late at night in Australia, so I went to bed. I spent a restless night tossing and turning, wondering how many sales I would achieve and hoping that there were no problems. Night time in Australia is the peak sale period in the US.

The next morning I rushed to my inbox and there were over 20 new orders. It was working.

In the end I ended up with 40 sales, which included Text2Go, voice modules and CDs. I probably gained about 30 new customers. I was very, very happy with this.

All in all I can't recommend Bits Du Jour highly enough. I think it works particularly well as a way of getting exposure for new products. Both Nico and Roger are really good to work with.

I plan to hold an annual Text2Go sale on Bits Du Jour.
Mark Gladding Send private email
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

BDJ is awesome. I would feature my product twice a month if they would let me.

My sales were exactly six for the day. When I release the next version, I'm going to contact BDJ again and ask them to feature me. 40 sales would be amazing. :)

1. Should I associate my brand with a discount software site? Will it make my product look cheap and nasty.

2. Will I annoy customers who have just made a purchase at the full price?

3. What happens if no one buys my product, even at a highly reduced price. I would force me to admit that I couldn't even give my software away.

4. What happens if start getting lots of sales but then my shopping cart goes down or someone finds a major bug in my product?

1. It's not discount, it's a promotional.
2. Yes. :) If they find it out. Clear case of buyer remorse.
3. Good for you! You can fix things sooner (even if the fix is to abandon the development and switch to something else).
4. Well... I guess promoting a buggy product is not a good idea. Polish it up first.
Vladimir Dyuzhev Send private email

Bits du Jour is fantastic, especially if you are relatively non-established and have a product with broad appeal to a technically savvy audience.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email

Mark - Many thanks for this report!
Bob Walsh Send private email

Hi Mark,

You said "Products are featured in the Previews page on the BDJ site for a week leading up to the sale".

Are they using any other channels to promote the software?
Cosmina Stefanache Send private email
Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hello Cosmina,

I'm not sure about this. You should ask them directly. I do know that my sale was picked up and commented on in a couple of forums.

It's a good question.

Cheers,

Mark.
Mark Gladding Send private email

My impression is that Nico has built Iconico into a successful company. I bought his Screen Calipers product a few years ago, and I still get the newsletter. Since taking over BDJ, they've started sending out weekly previews of the upcoming BDJ products. I don't know how big his email list is, but he's probably built it up to a decent level over time.
Nick Hebb Send private email

I thought they have an email list where they send weekly previews. I suppose there are a lot of people interested in software discounts.

What I would like to know is if they also have other channels to promote the software. I should take Mark advice and I ask them myself.
Cosmina Stefanache Send private email
Friday, October 12, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics