* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Good source, advice for touch screen kiosks?

Hello JoS community:

One of our clients would like to ship their product to retail establishments as a self-serve touch screen kiosk. The kiosks would require a letter-sized printer in the device as well. No keyboard will be needed (we'll do an onscreen keyboard for those few spots in the UI that need it).

Our application is .NET winform app, BTW. I know we'll need to tweak the UI to make it touch-screen friendly and have it launch in a full-screen, no-caption mode. Any other pointers for what we'd need to do to "harden" the app or OS to make it run only that app? Since the kiosk won't have a hardware keyboard, we should be safe from alt-tab or alt-f4. Anything else we need to watch for?

I've done some googling and there are a number of suppliers, but I'm hoping somebody here will have personal experience and can recommend a vendor (or help us avoid a bad one). We'd probably be ordering in units of 10 or so until it (hopefully) took off bigger.

Thanks in advance.
Jetguy
Jetguy Send private email
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

You might want to try this newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Lots of people there are building kiosks and other forms of "locked down" embedded devices.
sgf
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

When I was doing research on building a kiosk app, I spoke with http://www.affordablekiosks.com and thought highly of their selection and competence.  I didn't go through with the project, so I unfortunately can't comment on their delivery.
Steve Send private email
Monday, September 20, 2004

We are using KIS (http://www.kis-kiosk.com).  They are pretty good.

We made all the input controls oversized (like buttons & combos).
Gunnar Skogsholm Send private email
Monday, September 27, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics