* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Movie:

"Make Better Software" is a 6 movie course designed to help you as you grow from a micro-ISV to a large software company.
Part 1: Recruiting
Part 2: Team Members
Part 3: Environment
Part 4: Schedules
Part 5: Lifecycle
Part 6: Design

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

What do you think about buying used software?

I have some questions.

- What do you think of buying used software for your microISV? Will you do that?

- Will there be any problems using or activating it?

- Where to buy used software that is legit?

Thanks
microISVer Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It depends on the software - you should contact the original vendor and check that the licence you're buying is legitimate and that it can be transferred fully to you.

To find software, try ebay or forums dedicated to the software you want.
Pragmatique
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This topic title just cracks me up. It's not like a car. You can't take it to a code mechanic and have 20-point inspection done or buy certified pre-owned software. Either the license is valid or it isn't.

Was there a particular application you had in mind?
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I think you will find that in Australia you are entitled to sell the software or licence rights you have purchased and have the transfer of the ownership/licence enforced. I think it's in the appropriate Federal and States Consumer Protection Legislation. I also believe similar laws apply elsewhere.

I have done it once in the past and the US Copyright owner transfered ownership to me although I don't think they were very pleased about it. I did ask them before I purchased the software because there was no way it would be cost effective to force them into transfering it.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

There is no such thing as "used software". Software is licensed, not sold.

How about buying a used Hawaii vacation or even some used food then, eh?
Nick++
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

ebay.com
-
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I specifically address this in my EULA:

10.    ASSIGNMENT AND NON-ASSIGNMENT
If you are an individual and this Agreement is for a single license, then this license is personal to you but you may assign your rights under this Agreement to a third party who agrees in writing to be bound to this Agreement prior to the assignment and provided that you transfer all copies of the Software, registration keys and/or codes, and related documentation to the third party and destroy any copies not transferred. If you are an individual and this Agreement is for a multi-user license, or you are not an individual and are an entity, then you may not assign your rights under this Agreement without the prior written permission of the Company. If you are an entity that merges with or is acquired by another entity then your rights under this Agreement shall be deemed to be temporarily assigned to the resulting entity of that merge or acquisition provided that you supply the Company with written notice not later than the date on which any public announcement of that merger or acquisition is made.  Upon receipt of written notice, the Company shall have thirty (30) days to either accept or reject the assignment of rights.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

@Nicholas Hebb: Was there a particular application you had in mind?

QuickBooks

It looks like I've used the wrong word: 'used software'.
microISVer Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Re QuickBooks: I wouldn't mess around with re-licensed software that has such an important role in operations. Buy a new license.
Nicholas Hebb Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Donald Duck
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

used quickbooks software:

http://www.retrosoftware.com/buy-used-and-old-version-quickbooks-quicken-software.html

Don't know if they are legit though.
Donald Duck
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"There is no such thing as "used software". Software is licensed, not sold."

Well, that's one way of selling software.

Software is just like music and books and I buy used books and music all the time. Why should software be any different? Well, it _shouldn't_ be different and it wasn't...up until very recently with the growth of the Internet.
Wayne B Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics