* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Product website Or Company website?

Hi, I'm releasing my first product in the next 3:4 monthes.

I only have one product, but I'm going to get 2 more in the next 2 years.

Shall I register domain name for my product or domain name for my company?

If i use keyword in the domain name eg: xx-photoalbum.com is it really matter when someone will search in Google for Photo Album?

Thanks,
Getting_Ready_For_A_Start
Thursday, May 10, 2007

Do both company & product sites.

If for no other reason to make sure you own the domain names.
xampl Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

>>
If i use keyword in the domain name eg: xx-photoalbum.com is it really matter when someone will search in Google for Photo Album?
>>

Yes, in a major way.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I agree about doing both.  Domain name registration is cheap.  While many people may not agree, you might even consider hosting the domains with different hosting companies.  I noticed that my sites ended up getting a much better page ranking when the two sites were hosted by different companies.
Grinder Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm really a new µISVer, but I would say to only focus on 1 website product.  If later you can develop others software, then I would build one "product web-site" by product, then another "company web-site".

There is so much to do when starting that I pesonnaly will not find time to "manage/seo/enhance" multiple web-site or applications being alone.

So...

1./ Success with 1 appplication
2./ Then a second
3./ and then only a "company web-site".

Stay "Focus", IMHO. (you HAVE also to HAVE a blog, don't forget this...)
StepH ~ Tijmoe Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'd like to continue StepH's point. It depends on the purpose of a company website. For example, as far as the public is concerned, your three products could be supported by three different virtual companies. That surprisingly, would make keeping your books easier and figuring out just how well each product really is doing.

Having said that, I personally think you should have a developer vanity site (or company site) that talks in general terms about what you do, simply because someone might want to commission you to do work. Think of it as advertising you.
TheDavid
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I like the product, product, company path to WWW dominance :)  Its exactly what I'm planning on.  After I get my next project up and running both my websites will get a discrete little link at the bottom to my corporate website, which is going to essentially be brochureware for me.  I'll probably transition my blog to there at that point.
Patrick McKenzie (Bingo Card Creator) Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

One more for doing both. it establishes a better identity and gives you more flexibility for the future.

- Customers will more easier remember a domain name which reflect the name of the product they're using rather then a corporate name which doesn't necessary relate to the product's functionality.

- If at some point in the future you decide to sell your product (as a business) to somebody else, you'll sell the domain and the website along. This is good for whoever buys your business unit because the Internet presence is not disrupted and good for you because you don't have to modify your corporate site to much.
Emil Kirschner
Friday, May 11, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics