* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google Adwords.. What to track?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering..  im getting about 6.12% CTR on adwords..  just started it few days ago.

what is considered a good CTR?  is that too low ? mid or high figure?

What other figures should I be tracking?

Any tips for optimising ads?
Moogle
Tuesday, February 06, 2007

eBay Auction Templates

Without knowing what your ad is, I'd say 6% is high.

I'd venture to say that CTR is the LEAST important metric from your standpoint (even though it may be the opposite for Google)

Instead look at what kind of conversion (purchases, etc)you are getting from those clicks and how much you are paying.
Liberated

The one caveat on CTR... if its too low  Google will bump up the minimum bid for the search network...
Liberated

Not true. Adverts that have a higher CTR take less money per click to be the number 1 advertisement. I would keep doing what you are doing - google optimizes for the best CTR. If you have it, then you will get to the first listing with less money. 6% is very good BTW. Hopefully you can keep it up.
Steve Wiseman Send private email

I'm curious. In your experience, what percentage of cost savings did you see? And was it not offset by a higher bounce rate or decreased conversion rate?

In either case, your goal should be to maximize your profits, not Googles ;)
Liberated

6% is great.  Averages run all over the place, but around 1% was the average (so Google told me) about a year ago.  My guess is that it's higher now, or the people with average or less, are paying more (as someone else pointed out).

Unfortunately, this is a pretty poor measure of how well you are doing overall.  Long-tail terms typically do very well with CTR's.  I had one campaign on Google for a client that did 20% CTR, every month.  But, it only got a few clicks a month.  More importantly, those clicks almost always converted to paying customers.

Once people are on your site, how fast are they leaving?  It sounds like you're doing a good job getting people there .... it's the other things you need to optimize now.
Anthony Presley Send private email

6% is pretty good, but it doesn't mean much if your conversion rate is 0%. Are you tracking that as well?
Andy Brice Send private email

Its only been 2 days since I started adwords..  No sales yet.

Click count is very low.  But impressions vs clicks is about 6%.

I have to track how many minutes these people stay on the site.

does google analytics have an option of tracking per user activity?  so that I can see individuals enter..click pages..  and exit?

or is there another website statistics tool that will track users activity on the website.. wheter live or on record.  So we can see how they interact with the website, what they see, what they click on?

> does google analytics have an option of tracking per user activity?

Google doesn't provide you with detailed info on specific users (could get into privacy issues), but instead gives you average statistics per page: Average length of view, what percentage of people exited your site from there, overlays of what was clicked on, etc
Liberated

Hi Moogle,

>I was wondering..  im getting about 6.12% CTR on adwords..  just
>started it few days ago.  what is considered a good CTR?  is that too
>low ? mid or high figure?

It's a good CTR. But it doesn't mean anything.

If 99 out of every 100 people who click on your ad leave your website within three seconds, then it's disastrous.

Bear in mind that you may choose, for example, to display the price of your product within the ad text. That may put some people off, thereby lowering the CTR, but the people who do click on the ad would be more receptive to purchasing.

Hope this helps.
Dave Collins Send private email
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

>Any tips for optimising ads?

I use this simple "profit per thousand impressions" (PKI) metric to decide which ads to keep.

PKI = ( unit_sale_value * conversions - ad_cost ) / ( impressions / 1000 )

Basically it equates to how much money do I make each time my ad appears in front of a potential customer. Ads with low PKI get deleted/re-written.
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

6% is very good if you have enabled content network + search network. Otherwise it's above average, as I often get CTR above 10% for Google keyword search (not content). It's about 1%-2% if I combine both (Keywords + Content)

Stuko, I'm afraid your effort to optimize your website might be in vain:

<>eBay Auction Templates<>

As this forum has nofollow tag for all it's outbound links, which means, Google will ignore them :)
Jaba
Thursday, February 08, 2007

Search for Stucko on google
:)

the word stucko never appears on my website content.. :) what would be a reason for google to show up my website on first spot for the word stucko? :)

I'd be curious myself..  I do see the nofollow on this forum.. but something is trigering my site to even show up on google for the word stucko :)..

any ideas why?
Stucko

Stucko,

That's some good insights. I may start to wonder that Google might still process "nofollow" tag if what you said is true :)

Then after all, your effort might not be in vain :)
Jaba

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics