* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Google tips and tricks

I am just learing the ropes of using google adwords and analytics. I am beginning to make sense of what CTR, CPC, Impr. etc are. I have my key words in place and in the first day i have had 24,000 impressions but a very poor CTR and zero conversions.

I have observed that only 900 odd impressions were from google + search network, the rest about 23,000 came from the google ad network. The clicks were also in the same pattern.

What i want to learn is whether the 24,000 from google ad network is really useful? What other inferences can be made from this? It would be great also if this thread is used for providing tips and tricks that you have learnt.
Vignesh Send private email
Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Turn off content network NOW.  I collected some other tips on an old blog post.  Most of this advice I'd still stick by, although its from rather early in my uISV career. 

http://microisvjournal.wordpress.com/2006/07/19/making-adwords-work-for-you/
Patrick McKenzie Send private email

That is rather rash advice Patrick!

While I too was initially spooked by the Adwords Content Network (indeed I had it turned off for an extended period of time), I have learned to make it pay.

It might be useful to have Content ads turned off initially as you gather data on the conversions performance of your Search Network keywords. But once you established which keywords are working well for you then I would suggest trying the best of them in the the Content Network. Using this technique I am now finding that my Content Network ads convert better than my regular Search Network ads.

One more piece of advice: Based on my experience I'd also venture to say that landing pages are even more important the case of the Content Network -- make sure you have them and that they match the clickers' expectations.
Ethan

+1 for turning off the content network. It yielded no sales for us and the quality of the visitors we did get was pretty poor (low page views, low visit times, etc).

What kind of CTR are you getting?
Brian Clements Send private email

Google visit is a rare for my site but the same has been listed top in msn searches. My question is how can i toplist google. Provide me with some strategies weather tough or simple nevermind about that but that must be an effective one

Thank you all
My site
Thursday, January 25, 2007

My gut feeling was that i should turn off the ad network.

But if you see the CTR it is negligible (0.1%) compared to the impressions, this tells me that the ad network is not generating click scam/spam/fraud but rather only interested users are clicking on the ad which i presume is good.

At the same time all the clicks from the ad network had a 100% bounce rate at the landing page. I can start to imagine that it is click fraud but it could as well be that my landing page sucks ;-)

Patrick, thanks for the link i had missed that post of yours

Simple and difficult at the same time: write things which are actually responsive to the needs of users, rather than spam on a million topics which you know approximately nothing about, designed wholly to funnel people into your AdSense ads.  If you did this, you wouldn't have to do dodgy things like spamming every blog and forum which isn't captcha-protected to plug your worthless website.  (When I Google you, thats certainly all I see.  What do you think Google sees when Google uses you?)  You spammed me, too, about twenty-five times, and the information about how to increase my cup size was a wee bit off the beaten path for my blog.

Sidenote: If you ever wonder why content ads underperform like crazy (props to you if you get them to work, but it was a black hole for me and most people I've heard from), its because you will get most of your clicks from spam sites like the one above.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email

Hey Patrick

Who are you indicating here? Can you be more precise?

Ah i get it it should be the "mysite" guy! :-)

Start small and low budget with adwords and build from there. Definitely turn off content ads until you have got more experience.
Andy Brice Send private email

Hi,

Andy has hit the nail on the head.

Don't reject the content network at all, but leave it until you're a little more experienced with the Google AdWords system.

Despite what some people say, the content network is actually very effective. But if you make the mistake of running it in the same way as the Google + search network, it'll go horribly wrong fast.

No offence to anyone here, but when someone says that the content network is a waste of time, it may just mean that they don't know how to work it.

Good luck with your efforts!
Dave Collins Send private email

"Despite what some people say, the content network is actually very effective. But if you make the mistake of running it in the same way as the Google + search network, it'll go horribly wrong fast."

Dave - Can you expand on how you would run a campaign on the content network vs. Google? My past results for the content network was pretty pathetic, but maybe that's because I did something wrong.
Brian Clements Send private email

The post by Patrick helps me to go one more step with google ads. The selection of key words is also tricky which works best?

1. Straight forward key words e.g. "- - software"

or

2. Asymmetric key words e.g. words not associated with the product but something that the target users would usually search for

My gut feeling is that asymmetric works and my entire campaign is based on such key words, what do others think?

and experts on google ad network please post in ...

www.ceochat.com  has some interesting google optimisation tutorials.
Stucko

Im sorry.. thats www.SEOChat.com
Stucko

Hi Brian,

"Dave - Can you expand on how you would run a campaign on the content network vs. Google? My past results for the content network was pretty pathetic, but maybe that's because I did something wrong."

I can give you the nutshell version.

Start by using an existing, optimised Google campaign as a starting point. It's vital that the account is completely optimised.

Copy everything across to a new (content network only) campaign, and change the tracking for each ad.

Set the bids *very* low to begin with; as low as you can get away with.

Be patient. A new content campaign can sometimes even take weeks to fully kick in. Don't try to speed it up by paying more.

Check your web logs. Exclude the sites that are getting you nowhere.

We use ClickTracks Enterprise to do this, but there are other options.

Keep an eye on the ads and purge as required.

Be *very* careful about broad matches, especially when they generate lots of impressions and low clicks in the Google campaign.

Track, track and track. Then keep tracking.

Expect to pay far less, and monitor like a hawk.

You're not interested in CTR or quality score with the content network. You want clicks at a very low cost.

Get it right and it works.

Hope this helps.
Dave Collins Send private email
Friday, January 26, 2007

SEOchat.com = Tips on improving search engine performance
CEOchat.com = Tips on finding a reliable crew for your mega-yacht

HTH,
Martial Arts for Personal Development Send private email
Friday, January 26, 2007

MY suggestion would be to run the content network in a seperate campaign. You can change where you want your ads to appear in campaign options, so you would have one campaign for search ads and another with just the content network enabled. Tips on what to do different with the content network campaign:

* Different ads - write your ad content with the target in mind - in this case your ad will be squeezed within site content and not within search results. For eg. I make sure I put our product name in the headline, then state a single unique feature in the description
* Run more ads - so you can see which ads are performing better
* Target specific sites - AdWords lets you target specific sites on a CPM basis, and with the right site this can be very effective
* More keywords - dig up a longer list of keywords as it matches against content rather than search queries
* Lower your bid - you don't need to spend as much on the content network so lower your bid

Our content network ads perform well, not as well as search ads (we have CTR of 5%+ on some keywords and conversions of 25%+) but still well worth it on a cost-per-acquisition basis
Nik Cubrilovic Send private email
Saturday, January 27, 2007

Content network does drive sales but ROI is much lower than search.  Still, there is a simple mechanism to account for this, the bid.  You can configure your bids independently for each so if your search max bid is .50 make your content bid .10 (or whatever numbers lower the click thoughs from content to match your budget needs and ROI).
Pete
Saturday, January 27, 2007

How much is a good monthly budget for adwords?

I know it veries.. but what do you guys use? please post yours if you dont mind..  ananymous ofcourse.

Thanx
How
Sunday, January 28, 2007

"How much is a good monthly budget for adwords?"

If you have a good ROI, then set a large enough budget to have Goolge display your ad throughout the day. You want to avoid hitting your maximum daily budget because that means Google won't display your ad as much as it should.

You will have to experiment to find what the ceiling is for your ad campaign. As for me, I spend approx. $100 per day with a budget of about $120.
Anon for this one
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics