* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

MySQL no longer providing Windows binaries for free

Along with their decision to split their product into a "community" (i.e. GPL) and "enterprise" (i.e. commercial) edition, MySQL have decided that Windows binaries will no longer be available for free from their web site. The source code will still be available for free download, but will have to be compiled before it is usable.

This is a kick in the teeth for a huge number of developers who use Windows PCs. Millions of developers, like myself, downloaded and installed various open source products (such as Apache, PHP and MySQL) in order to educate ourselves - in our own time and at our own expense - so that we can develop software which may eventually have commercial value. It is the users of our software who require commercial licences, not the developers.

“So what’s the big deal?” I hear you say. “Just compile it and be done with it!” That’s the problem. No Windows PC comes with a compiler, and Windows users are used to downloading and installing binaries, preferably with a sophisticated installation program, in order to get up and running. The software market would not be what it is today if everything had to be compiled before it could be used.

If I have to compile the source myself, then which compiler do I use? Are there any other bits of software that are needed before the task is complete? Is there a single script that I can run to create all the binaries, or is there a complicated multi-step procedure? I’m afraid that anything more complicated than “down the source code, run this script, there are the binaries” is far too complicated.

MySQL got where it is today because people could download and install their software for free. They could learn how to use it for free. They could write software for it for free, and sell this software to paying customers who were in a position to buy commercial licenses. The vast majority of developers use Windows PCs, and the vast majority of developers will only use software that is available in pre-compiled form. Anything more complicated than a 3-step process – download, install, run – is a complete turn off.

I write software which comes in GPL and commercial forms, and as a Windows user I can only write software using whatever is available on a Windows PC. My software was MySQL-only until PostgreSQL made binaries for Windows freely available, at which point I could incorporate connectivity with that DBMS. I did not write a driver for Oracle until they made their Windows binaries freely available.

If I have to pay to download binaries for Windows then I am going to drop MySQL in favour of something else. I am a *developer* of database applications, not a *user* of database applications, therefore I do not have a budget which allows me to buy a commercial license. I am NOT prepared to pay for the privilege of learning how to use a product and promote the use of a product. My use of MySQL ceases with the versions for which Windows binaries are available, and any future versions will not be supported in any software that I write. So when a paying customer asks “What database can I use with your application?” I’m afraid that MySQL will NOT be on that list.

This is a stupid move by MySQL, and the loss of goodwill among Windows developers will turn out to be much more than the cost of providing Windows binaries for free.
Tony Marston Send private email
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Do you have a link where MySQL states this? I see there are still windows binaries on their site.

If this is true, we would seriously consider moving to PostgreSQL.
Vidar Send private email

Bnaries for Windows are available for version 5.0.27 but not for 5.0.33 and above. If you visit http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html you will see 5.0.27 has Windows binaries at the top of the page, but 5.0.33 at the bottom of the page - source only, no binaries.

If you visit http://www.planetmysql.org/kaj/?p=82 you will see this sentence in paragraph 4:
<quote>
Providing and verifying binaries is a paid-for service for those who want to spent money to save time.
</quote>

This subject is debated in the following blogs:

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/

http://ilia.ws/archives/153-MySQL-5.0.33-Community-Server.html

Wow. I can't believe it. Luckily for me, I was already skeptical of MySQL's commercial support. Thus, Firebird has been my lightweight database server. Even though I could use PostgreSQL for larger deployments if need be.

The time seems about right for many folks to revisit their stakes on MySQL.
Lostacular

Short sighted decision on their part.  Is the time saved creating windows binaries worth all the users leaving for Postgre?
Mike M Send private email

The Postgres guys must literally be throwing a party right now. Their downloads are about to triple over night. Nothing like kicking all your users in the face who've supported you for the last 10 years. A good lesson for everyone here that sometimes greed can make you lose sight of your core business and do things that run counter to it.
Ian L Send private email

"The software market would not be what it is today if everything had to be compiled before it could be used."

Sigh. Perhaps we'd have more knowledgable users if they had to know what and how software works.
Down with Dumbies

"Sigh. Perhaps we'd have more knowledgable users if they had to know what and how software works. "

Yeah right... you come tell my mom what a compiler is! I wish you all the luck ;o)

How about:

Sigh. Perhaps we'd have more knowledgable drivers if they had to know how to assemble a car from all it's components...

Makes 0.00% sense to me
CJ

Great idea.  Maybe cars should be sold in kits that drivers would have to assemble themselves, too.

Yeah, that would really send sales through the roof.
Get a clue

Don't mean to start a flame war, but this makes me wonder about a hunch that I've had for a long time: Are open source products sustainable in the long run?  Linux appears to be, but might it be the One Big Exception?
Doug

That's why Ikea has not yet started selling cars :-)

"Are open source products sustainable in the long run?  Linux appears to be, but might it be the One Big Exception?"

Open source products are actually _more_ sustainable "in the long run" than closed alternatives.

If Microsoft decided tomorrow to get out of the database business, what could all the SQL Server users in the world do about it?  Nothing, except switch to other products, or hang on to their copies of SQL Server 2005 for as long as possible.  If there are bugs in the last version, they'd never get fixed; if the last version doesn't work with Windows 2011, you'd have to choose between shiny new Windows and ancient SQL Server.

If MySQL decided tomorrow to get out of the database business, the source code for their last version would still be out there. Others could pick it up and run with it. If it was critical to your business, you could hire your own developers to fix bugs, and support it for you. If the last version of MySQL doesn't work with Windows 2011, you could have those developers _make_ it work with Windows 2011.

The useful life of a closed source product is tied to the life of a vendor.  The useful life of an open source product is not.
Jason Lefkowitz Send private email

I dont' get it, even if they don't provide the windows binaries directly, couldn't the people who bundle it with WAMP still provide them pre-compiled?

if that's the case, then why not use that?
cheerios

>> Sigh. Perhaps we'd have more knowledgable users if they had to know what and how software works. <<

We might have more knowledgeable users, but there would be *far* fewer of them.

>> The useful life of a closed source product is tied to the life of a vendor.  The useful life of an open source product is not. <<

An important limiting factor for the useful life of both product types is the ready availability of developers.
Mark Pearce Send private email

Open source are "theoretically" more sustainable, but the reality is far different. Sure you "could" maintain it yourself but you're not going to. I'm sure MySQL has millions of lines of code. Just picking it up and running it yourself as say a financial services company is not going to be in your best interest. It's easier to switch than to maintain your own branch.

The other fallacy is that open source products don't work like paid for software products. Sure small projects run by one or two guys are their own beasts, but big projects like Apache, Linux, Mozilla all are essentially run by large companies. Half the lead developers on Apache and Linux work for IBM, Redhat, etc and it's their jobs to write code for those projects. Mozilla makes more money than they can spend from Google paying them for searches.

Everything is business don't fool yourself. I used to work in higher education, trust me they look at it as a business. I used to do consulting for some large non-profits, again they look at it as a business. They're are trying to make money. If it's taxable or not is irrelevant. If it's open source or not is also pretty much irrelevant.

MySQL's move isn't bad because they're open source. It's bad because they've created certain expectations with their users and they're really screwing over those expectations.
Ian L Send private email

>> I dont' get it, even if they don't provide the windows binaries directly, couldn't the people who bundle it with WAMP still provide them pre-compiled?

if that's the case, then why not use that? <<

Who says that the people who provide complete WAMP installations compile their own binaries?

Even if they did I would not use them because their versions are not usually up-to-date. I prefer to install my software piecemeal so that I can install the latest version as soon as it comes out. I also write software that can work with any of the common databases - MySQL, PostgreSQL and Oracle - and this is not covered by any all-in-one package.

It will probalby take about 10 days before a third-party is distributing binaries for the latest versions of MySQL on Windows.  That's just the nature of open source.

Just look at RedHat Enterprise Linux, there are at least two groups compiling and distributing that for free, build from RedHat's source code.

However, as someone who does write open source software for Windows and relies on a database (currently MS SQL, SQL Express and SQLite) I will certainly take a closer look at this as we consider adding support for MySQL.  Our users have been asking for it; but if this is how MySQL is going to treat Windows users that it may not be worth the effort to develop for MySQL.
An OSS Guy

Ok, I must be missing something because all binaries (Windows & Linux distros) are at 5.0.27 and the source for 5.0.33 is available for Windows.

I'm going to call BS on this thread.
An OSS Guy

Not sure why it's BS. In the linked article the VP of MySQL community relations states:

"Providing and verifying binaries is a paid-for service for those who want to spent money to save time."

Perhaps he misspoke, but if not then it appears they will only be offering the enterprise version in compiled format.
Ian L Send private email

>> I'm going to call BS on this thread. <<

Why? It's not BS. Version 5.0.27 is the last version for which MySQL will provide compiled binaries for free. After that you will have to either download the source and compile it yourself, or pay for the MySQL enterprise edition.

The whole point is that Windows users expect to download pre-compiled binaries, not the raw source code whch they then have to compile themselves.

Holy cow.  This is big news.  I wonder why I haven't seen this in any of my industry newsletters?  A major player like this usually gets written up any time a corporate officer breaks wind.
OneMist8k

I've been anti-MySQL for years because of their fright-tactics in making people think their use would not qualify for GPL licensing.  They've got to be careful, now, though, because if they do anything too drastic too quickly someone might get the clever idea to fork the MySQL code.  Actually, I'm sure lots of people have had the idea.  It would take some resources to actually act on it and carry it through, though, but the upside could grow quickly if MySQL AB makes it much harder to get free binaries.

A simpler and/or more likely alternative:  MySQL is GPL.  Why doesn't someone  (i.e., someone not associated with MySQL AB) just create a sourceforge project, throw the most recent MySQL source up there, and compile it and make the windows binaries available from sourceforge too.  It can't be that hard, can it?
Herbert Sitz Send private email

I'm sorry, but before posting anything on this thread, does anyone actually verify this information?

If you look on the www.mysql.com website, it is evident that every binaries are affected, not just Windows binaries. All the binaries are 5.0.27.
And then, if you read the release notes for 5.0.33 it clearly says:

Note
This version of MySQL Community Server has been released as a source tarball only; there are no binaries built by MySQL.

This suggests that only this version (5.0.33) is affected, not every release from now on. Plus, it's not just Windows, it's everything.
Mike Speranza

+1 to Mike. 

Here is what is on the MySQL download page at this moment:

"While every bug fix that has been applied to the Enterprise Server will also be available in the subsequent Community Server release, there will be source-only releases in between full (source and binary) Community builds. So while the latest published community sources will always be available from the Source Downloads Section, the binaries listed on this page may be from a previous release. In any case, full binaries for all our supported operating systems are and will remain conveniently available from this page."
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

So, incremental releases are source only.  No biggee after all.
OneMist8k

"I'm sorry, but before posting anything on this thread, does anyone actually verify this information?"

No, people are human, sometimes they just shoot off a post without understanding everything.  In my opinion, that's fine (and I have to say I've been guilty of it every so often).  It makes it possible to have a nice thread about it so things can get clarified.  If the OP wouldn't have posted about it then he and others might have gone along their merry ways without having their understanding corrected.
Herbert Sitz Send private email

Good catch!

I still think it's disingenuous and I believe it could push people away. I mean you're doing releases but holding back the compiled versions in a blatant attempt to get people to upgrade. This is the type of heavy handed stuff that most open source supporters strongly dislike. I guess we'll see how it goes. Especially if they leverage this by holding back on compiled release for very long periods. For example if they don't release another until next year.
Ian L Send private email

I hardly think this is an issue.... as long as they are releasing the latest source code there will always be someone out there who will build an installation and post a link to it, saving everyone else the trouble!
Frank Send private email

All they're doing is making sure that people who aren't technically inclined or prepared to donate money are excluded from their community. Since those people aren't giving anything back, good riddance to them.

OSS is about contributing to the common good, not take take take.
OSS is the future

Open source is about destroying developer jobs and lowering developer salaries. I would prefer that projects like MySQL came with a price tag rather than some pie in the sky idealism which just makes it hard for people to make a living in any area where open source decides to set up shop.

There I said it and you know most of you are thinking the same thing.
anon

"There I said it and you know most of you are thinking the same thing."

They would be thinking it if they were developers, especially senior ones. Their jobs are going away.

Most of these people however are really "IT guys", with a script language or two in their arsenal, tons of Cisco certifications on the wall... And absolutely NO desire to get their feet wet with the kind of "serious" development involved when you're building Apache, or the Win OS, or Photoshop.

The "IT guys" have the good side of the OSS deal. More stuff is available on the market (in source, unintegrated form). This drives demand for "integrators" (yeah right). Of course, demand for the people who actually _write_ these things is reduced... But so what? "It's not a problem unless it's my problem" applies here.
Me again Send private email

Is there a third part who will publish the MySQL's binary release for windows freely?

Is this allowed?
Leo Send private email

dan

MySQL has given us an entire database server for *free*, and now they're lying, cheating scum because we have to compile minor releases ourselves?

I'm pretty much speechless. The sense of entitlement and complete lack of gratitude displayed in some of these posts is simply astounding.
James Stewart Send private email

MySQL has given us an entire database server for *free*, and now they're lying, cheating scum because we have to compile minor releases ourselves?

I'm pretty much speechless. The sense of entitlement and complete lack of gratitude displayed in some of these posts is simply astounding.

i disagree. MySQL give it to you for free because the first time is alway free and when you learn how it work and invest too much into it that's when you pay up for the support or enterprise edition.

MS is the same way too but with the anti trust laws and OSS bitching. MS can't give away their software to developers without getting into a shitstorm. Otherwise, MS will give you their stuff for free too until you invest too much into.

there is no free lunch.

"i disagree. MySQL give it to you for free because the first time is alway free and when you learn how it work and invest too much into it that's when you pay up for the support or enterprise edition."

How else do you expect them to make money? Millions of users get by just fine using the community server, but MySQL also deserve to be compensated for their hard work.

It just irks me that some people using the free community server think that MySQL owes them something. If you're given a useful, high quality product for free you should be grateful.

>> This suggests that only this version (5.0.33) is affected, not every release from now on. <<

Version 5.0.27 is the last version for which MySQL released binaries. You cannot assume that the "no binaries" policy applies to version 5.0.33 only and not any future releases for the simple reason that there has been no statement to that effect from MySQL. The only stetement that they HAVE made is that the provision of binaries is now a paid-for option.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007

>> All they're doing is making sure that people who aren't technically inclined or prepared to donate money are excluded from their community. Since those people aren't giving anything back, good riddance to them.

OSS is about contributing to the common good, not take take take. <<

You are wrong to say that nobody shoud expect to use OSS for free unless they contribute something themselves. That is not the way OSS works. If it wasn't free in the first place then no-one would use it at all. If the product is good enough then people will pay for support.

>> It just irks me that some people using the free community server think that MySQL owes them something. If you're given a useful, high quality product for free you should be grateful. <<

I develop database applications for paying customers, I do not run a database application with live data myself. So why should I pay a fortune for an enterprise license if I am not an enterprise user? It is my customers who will be commercial users, so it is they who would benefit from a commercial licence.

I develop on a Windows PC, and I will not accept any software hat comes in source only - it is pre-compiled binaries or nothing. Why is this? For the simple reason that Windows does not come with a compiler, and no Windows user has ever had to compile any software before being able to use it. The computing world would not be where it is today if software was not made available in pre-compiled form.

The simple fact is that I, along with many other Windows developers, will not use software that I have to compile myself, and I am not prepared to pay a fortune for an enterprise license in order to get binaries. If I can no longer download pre-compiled binaries for MySQL then I cannot develop applications that use it. When I sell my applications to paying customers they will have to choose from the databases which I am able to support, and this list now excludes MySQL. The potential losses for MySQL could be enormous.

This sounds like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Tony:

There's plenty of free compliers available for Windows, so the only thing preventing users from compiling the MySQL source code is their own technical ability.

Anyone who doesn't have the required technical ability and doesn't want to pay for support (or learn to compile the source code) can still download compiled binaries from one of the many other sites that provide them (e.g. most LAMP distributions) or stick with version 5.0.27.

Granted these two options aren't as good as "free and handed to users on a silver platter", but you still end up getting MySQL for free, and that's a pretty good deal.

Just to comment about a compiler.

There is gcc for windows. http://gcc.gnu.org/

As for lack of binaries.  I have read over the years where many business will not use "free" software because they don't think it is as good as software that you pay for.  Maybe some weird profit motive that business leaders beleive in.  If the company isn't out to screw you, then their product isn't worth it.  My MySQL is just trying to meet these requirements.

Of course I don't do Windows so it makes no difference to me.
Robin Laing Send private email

What would anyone who doesn't even have a C++ compiler want with MySQL anyway?  It's not an end-user application for grandma, so stop the silly hyperbole already...
Chris Nahr Send private email

What do you want for nothing?
A rubber biscuit?
Jake and Elwood

As a developer I write applications with interfaces to various databases. If a vendor wishes me to interface with their database then they must provide me with a copy free of charge. As a Windows user that means pre-compied binaries, with a proper installer.

If a database vendor is not willing to provide me a free copy of their software then I stop writing software that uses their database. It's as smple as that. That is the way it is in the world of open source.

If both PostgreSQL ad Oracle can provide me with pre-compiled binaries with a proper installer, all for free, then why can't MySQL? Especially since they have been doing so up till now.

I do not want to waste my time with downloading compilers and running 'make' scripts as the possibility for mistakes is just endless. The fact that Linux/Unix users are used to this state of affairs is irrelevant. I'm a Windows user, and Windows users do NOT have to compile software before they can use it.

"I develop on a Windows PC, and I will not accept any software hat comes in source only - it is pre-compiled binaries or nothing."

This statement makes no sense. You are a developer and yet compiling software from source code presents difficulties?

On most platforms, compiling MySQL should be no more difficult than "configure," "make," and "make install." If you use MinGW on Windows, that should also be the case.
Kevin Walzer Send private email

>> What would anyone who doesn't even have a C++ compiler want with MySQL anyway? <<

Because I write applicatons that access a database, and I don't use C++ as my development language. There ARE languages other than C++ out there, you know.

The same applications can also talk to PostgreQL or Oracle. I don't need C++ to do that, either.

>> You are a developer and yet compiling software from source code presents difficulties? <<

Yes. My OS did not come with a compiler, and I have NEVER had to compile any software before being able to use it. Every other open source company provides Windows binaries for free, so what's the big deal?

>> I develop database applications for paying customers,
>> I do not run a database application with live data
>> myself. So why should I pay a fortune for an enterprise
>> license if I am not an enterprise user?

You are not required to pay a fortune. The cost of a single enterprise license is quite reasonable.

In the normal business world, developers such as you would factor in the license price in the price of their services, and the end customer would pay up anyway. In this manner, everyone in the supply chain would be happy, and would receive a fair compensation for their efforts.

In the world of software development business, you're <bleep>-ed because the market forces you to price your service so low that you'd be losing money if you used anything but free software.

So next time you fall in this situation, avoid screaming at the MySQL guys for wanting to earn some profit from their business. Instead, think twice before contributing your own time to FOSS projects for free. Because the economics of FOSS are such that everyone but the biggest players (the IBMs, HPs and Oracle's of the industry) will win from it, and everyone else will lose.

type correction: delete "everyone but" from the last sentence above

Other people will always provide binaries if an open source project either refuses or lacks the ability.

X-Chat stopped releasing Windows versions for free and someone else started doing it more or less right away.

I've started releasing binaries already because I have the ability (I found this page through my referrer logs), I'll continue doing so as I use them myself. If I've went to the effort to make them I might as well release them.

Stop complaining about MySQL AB making money, it's their job and they owe it to their investors to attempt to get some sort of return.
Scott MacVicar Send private email

"binaries are available at for linux / windows platform"

Binaries will be distributed by distro makers with their Linux distros - they don't really have to worry about compiling anything.  Dropping pre-compiled packages are nothing special, and you can use "rpmbuild" on a tar archive to generate both binary and source RPMs of a package.

Such a thing does not exist on Windows.  On Linux RPM will do things like automatically set up the services and applicable run levels, create the user and group accounts, set up the database directories.  No one wants to do that on Windows.  They don't have to do it for any other free database they install, why the hell do they wanna do it for MySQL.  There are other alternatives (Firebird, PostgreSQL/EnterpriseDB, OracleXE, DB/2 Express-C, SQL Server Express, Ingres (?), etc. many of which are better databases than MySQL.  No one wants to bother with compiling MySQL from source on Windows, much less many of software.  I don't mind compiling things like CLI tools and utilities - but applications like MySQL I would like an installer.

Linux users can care less about binary RPMs, they can generate them very easily (of course it means compiling, but the installation is pretty foolproof on a Linux system since it's is done by a script during the binary RPM installation).

I don't use MySQL anyways; the last time I gried it frequently corrupted its users database (5.0 GA).

- Nate.
Nate Send private email

Also, the only compilers I use are Microsoft compilers - if MySQL uses GCC'isms (many compilers available for Linux will support these GCC'isms, but not many Windows-only compilers like Microsoft and Borland) then it's not compilable, and I don't know many people who will want to muck around in the source tree of this HUGE applications to get it to compile with Visual C++ (especially since various versions from 6.0 to 2005 are still widely used).

When GCC moved, major software packages like Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. usually move with it.  Windows software doesn't move like that.

I also refuse to install GCC on my machine, for personal reasons.

Anyways, I've been using PostgreSQL 8.2, SQL Server 2005 Express, and DB/2 9.0 Express-C (all of which Eclipse MySQL in terms of features, coherent documentation, and tools available, especially IBM and Microsoft's Offerings).

Good Luck to MySQL AB, however, business is rough in today's world.

- Nate.
Nate Send private email
Thursday, January 18, 2007

A serious point to consider is the effect that this stupid decision will have on new entrants into the world of software development. Instead of waiting to be employed and trained by a corporation the newbie can gain experience by downloading all the relevant software and installing it on his/her home PC (which will always be Windows), all for free. Although there are many free training resources on the internet the purchase of a few good books is always a sound investment.

The significant point here is that the newbie does not have a budget, so is unable to pay for any software. So if a certain product cannot be downloaded and installed for free it will not be downloaded at all. Because of this the newbie will not be able to become familiar with that product and will not be able to write software for that product. As a consequence when he/she eventually seeks employment it will be for software combinations with which he/she is familiar.

If it is not possible to download and install the MySQL Windows binaries for free then the vast majority of budding developers will simply ignore MySQL in favour of one of its competitors, of which there are many. As the number of developers who are familiar with MySQL begins to decline then the number of applications written for MySQL will begin to decline, which in turn will mean that the number of users of those applications who will require a MySQL commercial license will also decline.

Budding developers lose out in the short term, but MySQL loses out in the long term. The eventual cost of these potential losses will dwarf the tiny cost of providing Windows binaries.

Let me add to this by saying that I have no argument with MySQL's decision to split their product into two – the free “community” edition and the paid-for “enterprise” edition. I do not mind that updates to the enterprise edition will be released twice as frequently as those for the community edition. If I were a *user* of a database application that needed a bug fix immediately then I would (or should) have a budget for a commercial license, but as a home-based/freelance *developer* of database applications my need for such bug fixes is not that urgent, so I am happy for wait a short while before updated binaries become available. But if Windows binaries are no longer available then I will drop MySQL from my list of supported databases and switch instead to one of its freely-available rivals.

It is such a simple concept – let developers download and install your product for free, and they will develop applications that use your product. When they sell these applications on to paying customers then it is these customers who will purchase commercial licenses. If these developers are creating applications which do not use your product, then the opportunity for commercial licenses from users of these applications has just disappeared down the toilet.

This still isn't a smoking gun that they'll never do it again. The binaries aren't available now, and the quotes saying that they're no longer available aren't listed on the MySQL site.

Don't panic just yet -- there may be unannounced reasons why the latest edition hasn't been released on Windows in binaries. Has anybody actually contacted the developers to get it from the horses' mouth?

If you come back in a month or two and there are no installers, then panic.
Kuri Haru Send private email

God I'm so sick of people wanting everything for free, in terms of software. If I have to pay for food, housing and everything else, why should I work for free?

That whole thread makes me wonder about Open Source in general...
asdf

Did you guys even read Kaj Arno's blog?

http://www.planetmysql.org/kaj/?p=83 

"While we don’t have a specific schedule or policy for when MySQL Community Server is released in binary form, I expect the next Community release, 5.0.35, to be available as source and binaries for the same platforms as MySQL Enterprise Server and as the previous MySQL Community Server binary release 5.0.27."

The average beginner is not going to be able to compile the source code, but they also will not care that they are using a 3 month old release. If I have to wait one month to get the bux fixes in 5.0.33 beacuse I am too lazy to compile it (which I am), then oh well. The world is not going to end. How often does the average web developer (I'm sure that they are the largest portion of the community with MySQl currently "in production") update MySQL anyway? Most of them install it and don't touch it again unless there's a problem.

I understand that most of the people posting here are not casual users, and so this is a big deal to you. If you are hard core and have to have the latest release NOW, compile it. If you are lazy and do not want to compile it your selves, wait a month, and quit bitching.

New post from Kaj, and I rest my case (from the last no name poster-- that's me)

http://www.planetmysql.org/kaj/?p=84

"MySQL continues providing Windows binaries for free

Contrary to some reports in the community, MySQL will continue providing binaries both for Windows and other operating systems. All our download pages, including those for MySQL 5.0, have binaries today, and will continue to have them.

The source-only releases we introduced with 5.0.33 (and will continue to provide in the future)are just in addition to the binary-and-source releases. The current latest binary-and-source MySQL Community Server release is 5.0.27, and I expect MySQL 5.0.35 Community Server to be released as binary-and-source within a month, both for Windows and our other platforms. This is as we always planned it, and tried to communicate it. I am sorry our communication has not been clear enough."

FYI, MySQL is built on Windows using Visual Studio:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-source-build.html
Plastic Fish Send private email

"Open source is about destroying developer jobs and lowering developer salaries."

And free Web forums are about destroying forum administrator jobs and lowering forum administrator salaries.

Why are you here posting for free rather than subscribing to some commercial communication service?
Andrew J. Brehm Send private email
Monday, January 22, 2007

EMAIL ADDRESS;UNITMOBILETELECOM@YAHOO.COM
We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextels phone,Laptops for sell at cheap and affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Sony Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, all Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get back to us with your quote so that we can begin a good business relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs, unlocked, no operator logo, come in their original sealed box, With 1 year international warranty from the manufacturer, English & Spanish manual, Finland made. We want to assure you that you will never regret buying from us because the delivery will be to your doorstep via FedEx Courier service.And the Tracking number shall be sent to you upon acknowledgement of your payment. Kindly acknowledge the reciept of our mail and get back to us at
unitmobiletelecom@yahoo.com
e have assorted brand New Gsm
Phones/Ipods/Xbox360/Notebook/Laptops/PDA/Psp/TV Etc.We are using
this medium to look for buyers of mobile phones, Ipods, Laptops,
Cisco, Psp, Xbox360, LCD and Plasma TV, CD, DVD, Digital Camera
ETC and also offerring buyers/customers our yearly bonaza.
We are offering very low discounts for our new customers/buyers,so place your order with your full address, zip code, and phone contact numbers to enable proceed with the transaction.

THE NEW NOKIA N95 AT JUST 300USD
THE NEW NOKIA N93 AT JUST 250USD
HP iPAQ rw6828 Multimedia Messenger........185usd
Buy i-Mate JAM SIM Free Phone / PDA.....170usd
Buy i-Mate PDA2 Phone /PDA .......200usd
i-mate JASJAR QWERTY PDA ...........190usd
i-mate K-JAM Phone PDA SIM Free........175usd
i-mate JAM 128 Phone PDA SIM Free.........180usd
i-mate SP5 Smartphone..........170usd
i-Mate JAMin Phone / PDA.....175usd
Buy i-Mate PDA-N GPS Pocket PC..200usd
Buy i-Mate PDA2K (XDA III)........220usd
O2 XDA Mini Pro S / MDA Vario IV / SPV M6000
O2 XDA Neo
O2 XDA / T-Mobile PPC / Siemens SX56
O2 XDA Atom
O2 XDA Exec, SPV M5000, MDA PRO4
O2 XDA II / XDA IIi 
O2 XDA IIs
O2 XDA II Mini
HP IPAQ HX2750 ................180USD
PDA HP IPAQ Pocket PC hx4700,SD, ...169.00USD
Palmtop PDA Pocket PC Bluetooth WiFi...175USD
PDA POCKET PC CELULAR 200MHz WiFi......210USD
iPaq rx3417 Pocket PC Bluetooth WiFi....300USD
PDA HP iPaq Hx2750 Pocket PC Wifi ...190USD
PDA Acer n311 Samsung400MHz 3,7 .......200USD
Qtek 9100 GSM GPRS PDA Pocket PC - ...210USD
PDA HP iPaq Hx2750 Pocket PC Wifi ...220USD
PDA POCKET PC HP IPAQ RX3715 ...185USD
PDA Acer n50 Premium 520MHz 3,5 TFT ...195USD
Dell Axim X3 Handheld..............190USD
PDA MOBILE PHONE POCKET PC XDA .....175USD
HTC Prophet ........................170USD
Dell Axim X50 X50v Pocket PC.........200USD
Pocket PC e800 WiFi..................180USD
FOR SELL NOKIA 9500 MOBILE PHONE AT JUST $160usd,
FOR SELL NOKIA 9300 MOBILE PHONE AT JUST $130usd,
FOR SELL SAMSUNG D500 MOBILE PHONE AT JUST $140usd,
FOR SELL SIDEKICK II MOBILE PHONE AT JUST $100usd
FOR SELL SIDEKICK III MOBILE PHONE AT JUST $120usd
NEXTEL i870 AT JUST $100usd
NEXTEL i860 AT JUST $110usd
NEXTEL i930 AT JUST $130usd
MOTOROLA RAZR V3 AT JUST $140usd
PINK MOTOROLA RAZR V3 AT JUST $140usd
MOTOROLA RAZR V3X AT JUST $150usd
MOTOROLA MPX 220 AT JUST $140usd
MOTOROLA MPX 300 AT JUST $180usd
SONY ERICSSON W800i AT JUST $160usd
SONY ERICSSON w600i AT JUST $160usd
SONY ERICSSON W900i AT JUST $200usd
SONY ERICSSON K700i AT JUST $150usd
SONY ERICSSON K750i AT JUST $160usd
SONY ERICSSON S700i AT JUST $160usd
SONY ERICSSON P910i AT JUST $160usd
SONY ERICSSON P990 AT JUST $200usd
NOKIA N90 AT JUST $200usd
NOKIA N91 AT JUST $210usd
NOKIA N92 AT JUST $250usd
NOKIA N70 AT JUST $170usd
NOKIA N80 AT JUST $180usd
NOKIA 8800 AT JUST $180usd
NOKIA 9500 AT JUST $200usd
NOKIA 9300 AT JUST $180usd
TREO 650 AT JUST $140usd
TREO 700W AT JUST $200usd
Sprint Products Smart Device SP-i600 AT $170usd
Sprint 6601 Pocket PC (US) AT $190usd
PPC6700SP Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device PPC-6700 AT $200usd
Sprint PCS PPC 6600 Camera Cell Phone PDA Pocket PC AT $140usd
SIDEKICK II AT JUST $120usd
MICROSOFT XBOX 360 AT JUST $160usd
SAMSUNG D600 AT JUST $200usd
SAMSUNG D500 AT JUST $180usd
Brand New Qtek 9000 .................................$150
Brand New Qtek 9100 .................................$180
Brand New Qtek 8100..................................$135
Brand New Qtek 2020i.................................$120
Brand New Qtek 1010..................................$100
Brand New Qtek 8080..................................$120
Brand New Qtek 8310..................................$130
Brand New Qtek 9090..................................$140
Brand New I-MATE Smartflip ....... $140
Brand New I-MATE JAMin ......... $220
Brand New I-MATE JASJAR ........ $240
Brand New I-MATE K-JAM ......... $180
Brand New I-MATE SP5 ......... $150
Brand New I-MATE SP5m ......... $155
Brand New I-MATE SP4m ......... $120
Brand New I-MATE JAM Black ........ $150
Brand New I-MATE JAM ......... $160
Brand New I-MATE PDA2 ......... $190
Brand New I-MATE PDA2k ......... $160
Brand New I-MATE SP3i ......... $130
Brand New I-MATE SP3 ......... $135
Brand New I-MATE Pocket PC ......... $140
Brand new I-MATE Smartphone2 ........ $110
Brand New I-MATE Smartphone ........ $120
APPLE IPOD NANO PRICE LIST
Apple iPod nano Media Player 2GB -- $100
Apple iPod nano Media Player 4GB -- $150
Apple iPod nano Media Player 6GB -- $200
X BOX 360 PRICE LIST
Xbox 360 Core System -- US$200usd –
Xbox 360 Platinum SystemUS$190usd
Xbox 360 Platinum Bundle Console -- US$230usd.00
PLASTATIONS
playstation 1 ....120usd
playstation 2...150usd
playstation 3 ...200usd
LAPTOP
All Toshiba laptops
Toshiba Satellite PRO L10 $320
Toshiba M200 $500
Toshiba R100 $450
Toshiba Qosmio E10 $750
Toshiba Satellite PRO L20 $250
Toshiba M100 $680
Toshiba M300 $740
Toshiba Portege A200 $320
Toshiba Satellite L10 $330
Toshiba Qosmio F20 $500
Dell Laptops
Dell Latitude D600 $290
Dell Latitude D500 t $200
Dell Inspiron 6000 $350
Dell Latitude D505 $340
Dell Latitude D610 $460
Dell Latitude D510 $320
Dell Inspiron 9300 $530
Sony Laptops
Sony VAIO VGN-T1 $680
Sony VAIO VGN-FS315 $420
Sony VAIO VGN-S3 $450
Sony VAIO VGN-TX1 $840
Sony VAIO VGN-FS215 $ 310
Sony VAIO VGN-S4 $470
Sony VAIO PCG-K35 $550
SONY VAIO A217S-- 100GB-- 512MB RAM-- XP HOME-------------$500
SONY VAIO B1VP-- 40GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP PRO--------------$430
SONY VAIO T370P/L-- 60GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP----------------$400
SONY VAIO A215Z 60GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP------------------$6450
SONY VAIO A397XP-- 80GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP----------------$700
SONY VAIO B100B08 60GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP---------------$450
SONY VAIO B100B08 60GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP---------------$600
SONY VAIO FS295VP 80GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP---------------$550
SONY VAIO FS215Z 100GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP---------------$650
SONY VAIO A417M 80GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP-----------------$650
SONY VAIO B1VP-- 40GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP PRO-------------$300
SONY VAIO T370P/L-- 60GB HD-- 512MB RAM-- XP PRO----------$600
SONY VAIO LAPTOP-- VGN-A117S--------------$600
SONY VAIO LAPTOP-- VGN-S1XP--------------$800
ALPHASMART DANA PALM POWERED LAPTOP----------$330
APPLE G4 POWERBOOK 1.5GHZ SUPERDRIVE WITH 15 INCH DISPLAY--$700
APPLE G5 POWERMAC 2.0GHZ DESKTOP COMPUTER-------------$700
APPLE G4 POWERBOOK 1.5GHZ SUPERDRIVE WITH 17 INCH DISPLAY--$600
APPLE G5 POWERMAC 2.5GHZ DESKTOP COMPUTER---------$100
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- P20-102--------------------------$500
APPLE 5GHZ SUPERDRIVE DESKTOP COMPUTER WITH 20 INCH MONITOR-$4500
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- P10-803-----------------------------$500
ALPHASMART DANA PALM POWERED LAPTOP------------------------$350
ALPHASMART DANA PALM POWERED LAPTOP PACK WIFI VERSION-$400
OQO MODEL 01 ULTRA PERSONAL COMPUTER (XP PRO)--------------$450
TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO A60 40GB-- C2.8GHZ-- 15INCH-- DVD/CDR$450
FLYBOOK NOTEBOOK - WI-FI-- GPRS-- BLUETOOTH-- 1GHZ (BLACK)----$550
FUJITSU SIEMENS LIFEBOOK P7010 60GB-- P4 1.1GHZ-- 10.6INCH-- DVD/CDRW
$600
ASUS A4744K-LH AMD64 POWER WORKSTATION LAPTOP--------$450
FLYBOOK NOTEBOOK - WI-FI-- GPRS-- BLUETOOTH-- 1GHZ (RED)------$610
FLYBOOK NOTEBOOK - WI-FI-- GPRS-- BLUETOOTH-- 1GHZ (BLUE)-----$500
ALPHASMART DANA PALM POWERED LAPTOP------------------------$300
FLYBOOK NOTEBOOK - WI-FI-- GPRS-- BLUETOOTH-- 1GHZ (YELLOW)--$500
TOSHIBA TECRA M2 40GB-- PM 1.5GHZ-- 14INCH-- WIFI-- DVD-CDRW----$500
FLYBOOK NOTEBOOK - WI-FI-- GPRS-- BLUETOOTH-- 1GHZ (SILVER)---$500
TOSHIBA PORTEGE R100 40GB-- 512MB-- XP PRO------------------$500
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- M30-742-------------$550
APPLE G5 POWERMAC 1.8GHZ DESKTOP COMPUTER--------------$500
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZD7145EA-------------$500
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZD7255EA--------------$500
APPLE CINEMA HD 23-INCH TFT LCD MONITOR----$500
SONY VAIO LAPTOP-- VGN PCGK21 5Z----------------------------$500
SAMSUNG LAPTOP-- X30 LWC 1500--------------------------------$500
G4 POWERBOOK 1.33GHZ SUPERDRIVE WITH 12 INCH DISPLAY-$600
SONY VAIO PCVW2 DESKTOP---------------$450
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZX5151EA PHOTOSMART-------------------$400
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- M30-832-----------$400
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZT3215EA--------$550
SAMSUNG LAPTOP-- M40 HWM 745----------$500
APPLE G4 POWERBOOK 1.3GHZ COMBO WITH 15 INCH DISPLAY-$700
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- P20-801---------$500
APPLE GHZ SUPERDRIVE DESKTOP COMPUTER WITH 20 INCH MONITOR$450
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZX5275EA------------$400
SONY VAIO LAPTOP-- VGN PCGK21 5S--------$400
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZT3350EA---------------$400
SAMSUNG LAPTOP-- X15PLUS HZM--------------$350
APPLE G4 POWERBOOK 1.33GHZ COMBO WITH 12 INCH DISPLAY$550
SONY VAIO LAPTOP-- PCGK215M--------------$400
SONY VAIO DESKTOP-- RS504-----------------$400
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZX5030------------------$400
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- M30-106----------------$400
HP MEDIA CENTER DESKTOP COMPUTER-- M1080 PHOTOSMART---$400
APPLE IBOOK 1.2GHZ COMBO WITH 14.1 INCH DISPLAY---------$400
APPLE GHZ SUPERDRIVE DESKTOP COMPUTER WITH 17 INCH MONITOR$400
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZV5230EA------$300
SAMSUNG LAPTOP-- P28 LTC 330-------------$300
SONY VAIO DESKTOP-- V1-------------------$300
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- A40-231-----$300
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZV5169EA---------$300
APPLE GHZ COMBO DESKTOP COMPUTER WITH 17 INCH MONITOR-$300
APPLE IBOOK 1GHZ COMBO WITH 14 INCH DISPLAY---------------$300
TOSHIBA SATELLITE LAPTOP-- A40-892----------$350
APPLE IBOOK 1GHZ COMBO WITH 12 INCH DISPLAY--------------$300
HP PAVILION LAPTOP-- ZV5213EA-----------$300
NOTE: ALL PHONES ARE IN FACTORY SEALED BOXES, WITH
CHARGERS, ACCESSORIES, MANUALS INCLUDED.
NOTE IF YOU BUY 10UNITS OF OUR PRODUCTS YOU GET 1FREEWe have assorted brand New Gsm
Phones/Ipods/Xbox360/Notebook/Laptops/PDA/Psp/TV Etc.We are using
this medium to look for buyers of mobile phones, Ipods, Laptops,
Cisco, Psp, Xbox360, LCD and Plasma TV, CD, DVD, Digital Camera
ETC and also offerring buyers/customers our yearly bonaza.
We are offering very low discounts for our new customers/buyers,so place your order with your full address, zip code, and phone contact numbers to enable proceed with the transaction.
REGARDS
MICHEAL
micheal macus Send private email
Monday, January 22, 2007

Scott of http://macvicar.net has Community binaries for Windows
http://server.macvicar.net/downloads/

Webyog, creators of SQLyog, has compiled and made available the 5.0.33 Enterprise MySQL server for Windows (a .exe installer packaged in a zip file)

http://www.webyog.com/downloads/MySQLserver/mysql-5.0.33-win32.zip

Enjoy.
Sheeri Kritzer Send private email
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Since this new MySQL policy is quite annoying, we've also decided to put up a download site for binaries at http://www.sqlbin.org/ , and will make new versions available as soon as a new source version is up.

Ralph
Ralph @ SQLBin Send private email
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics