* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Credit Card Processors/Merchant Services

Could anyone recommend a good merchant services vendor for online credit card verification and payment?

Our bank (Fleet) has a relationship with an outfit called Skipjack (www.skipjack.com) but their API forces us to use Microsoft technology on our server (we're pure Linux/Apache).

A search for "Merchant Services" brings up a slew of firms, most of which look like fly-by-night operations.

We know about PayPal, but would like something with better rates.

TIA
Spoonful
Monday, September 13, 2004

I've met a number of people using http://www.cocard.net/default.aspx that are very happy (and the rates are very good).

As for Linux/Apache vs. Windows what you need is VISANET compatible package to handle the transaction. RedHat had something called CCVS that did this but I think they killed it a while back. There is a package from http://www.underflap.com/ec/creditcard.html as well, but I don't know how good/bad it is.
Marc Send private email

HSBC, one of the largest banks around, uses the Clearcommerce api.  Its a little opaque to begin with, understanding where the clientid comes from was my major headache, until the client sid 'oh it might be this number' and then all was revealed.

Actually the XML api, which doesn't seem to be used much, is actually very straightforward and simple, it took me about a day to do the full implementation as a DCOM server.
Simon Lucy Send private email

Been a few years since I've done it but I was very happy with Verisign.
me

I use perl to connect to authorize.net using Business::OnlinePayment::AuthorizeNet.  Haven't had any problems, I don't know the rates though, my boss does that thing.
saberworks
Tuesday, September 14, 2004

We use ShareIt ( http://shareit.com ).  They're fantastic, and almost as cheap as having your own merchant account.
Cowards don't tell
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

WorldPay (www.worldpay.com) has a very good reputation, havne't actually used them myself yet but very likely to be using them for a project later on this year.
James U-S Send private email
Saturday, September 18, 2004

I use Authorize.net from a Linux server.  Not too expensive, and has a basic HTTP POST api .  (I liked this because at the time I hadn't gotten around to learning SOAP yet).

Authorize.net provided some sample Java code, it was easy to get going.  It should be able to be accessed from any platform.

Incidentally, talk to your bank first.  Mine (Wells Fargo) offered me the gateway access for free as part of my merchant bank account.
Will Send private email
Monday, September 20, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics