* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

webhosting survey

Would everyone running an online business of any size mind posting their webhosting information please? It also counts if you work for a business and know their hosting package.

Which company, what type (dedicated/shared), how long you've been with them and an overall opinion/rating (out of 5?) would be very helpful.

Thanks.
outback Send private email
Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sorry, no hosting details from me but there is a new service that independently tests web hosts called RealMetrics. Last I checked they cover both VPS and shared hosting providers.

http://www.realmetrics.com
Chad Send private email
Sunday, October 22, 2006

We use dedicated hosting at www.serverpronto.com. We have the lowest end server, a mid-range server, and the highest server. We've noticed that their customer service seems to be proportional to how much you're paying them, but as long as you can manage your own server, their prices are unbeatable. We've been with them for about 12 months.
Nathan Ridley Send private email
Sunday, October 22, 2006

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/

Using the advanced setup for two websites (shared). I've had one for 2 years and one for 1 year. Excellent reliabilty - I don't think I've seen either of the sites go down - ever. Web tools for setting things up are a tad clunky, but they work. 4.5 out of 5.
MT Heart
Monday, October 23, 2006

Why do we see this same question like every other week.  Doesn't anybody actually search first?
Unsure
Monday, October 23, 2006

We've been using www.fatnetwork.com for about a year.  We host multiple domains with them and have a "reseller" plan so that we can host sites for our friends as well.  It costs us $25.00 a month.

Our sites have never been down.  It's fast, and our customers are happy.

Their customer service is incredable.  When you call or email it has that personal small company feel that I like.  They are professional, friendly, and know their stuff. 

5/5
Just a thought
Monday, October 23, 2006

GoDaddy.  Simple, effective, $7 a month (Linux Deluxe Plan).  Keep in mind that my needs are only serving static web pages with possible expansion into *ick* Perl at a later date, and we're not talking about thousands of simultaneous users.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email
Monday, October 23, 2006

aplus.net has served me well for over 6 years and counting. I only wish my payment processor was as reliable (but that I will hold over for another thread...)
Ethan Send private email
Monday, October 23, 2006

I've been using www.averdata.com for 5 years now (AverPLUS plan). They're very cheap and offer good service. 4/5
Wouter Dhondt
Monday, October 23, 2006

> Why do we see this same question like every other week. 
> Doesn't anybody actually search first?

I did search, but the search facility isn't the greatest thing on here. Plus the format of this forum doesn't work out too well to go back to old posts.

Most of the previous posts were about specific hosts. Is GoDaddy good? How about Dreamhost? etc.. Those are the most populars, but there could be other good ones.

I did do searches on Webhostingtalk forum. It is just like Amazon reviews. For each host, some people love it, others hate it. It all depends on usage, expectations etc. It is hard to judge who was expecting what, so the reviews are mostly not very useful all on their own.

I've been on here for a while. I know the profiles of most locals. I thought asking them what they use would be the most practical.
Monday, October 23, 2006

We use Dreamhost, so far so good.  Haven't been down yet (we signed up AFTER their major mishap a few months ago).

Still have one or two accounts @ OLM, and am moving them off as fast as possible.  Want some horror stories from them?  Head over to my blog.

Kattare can't be beat with Java hosting, they just keep chugging away.

Also do our own hosting for a variety of smaller and medium-sized customer domains, and of course, we are awesome.
Anthony Presley Send private email
Monday, October 23, 2006

I've been with various hosts over the past 10+ years and have been forced to move for various reasons. For the past 3+ years I've had a VPS with ServInt and I have to say they've been the best host I've ever had.

In the past when I've moved to a new host everything starts off well, but there is a gradual decline in support, performance etc. over the next few years. This hasn't happened with ServInt.

I'd personally avoid any form of shared hosting. Many hosts oversell and you suffer the consequences. You want your own IP's and gauranteed resources. A VPS or Dedicated will give you that. We host around 10 sites on the VPS.

I'm looking to move up to a Dedicated Server in the next 6 months and will likely leave Servint as they are bit pricey. I'm really not looking forward to yet another server move. It is always a PITA.

And keep this formula in mind: Good, Fast, Cheap - pick any two.
Neville Franks Send private email
Monday, October 23, 2006

I've heard lots of great things about ServInt from various sources. And as for shared hosting, it appears they are more or less equivalent. Thank you all very much for your input.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics