* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Powerpoint presentation notes, and the projector

In a few days I will hold my first presentation for a group of investors. I have used PowerPoint before, but I never used a projector before.

I have a serious problem:

Powerpoint allows me to write some notes bellow each slide. These notes are for me, the presenter, to remember what to say.

Is there a way to see the notes on the screen of the laptop while presenting, but NOT send the notes to the projector, so that:

- I see the notes

- The audience doesn't see the notes

?

Thank you!
George Send private email
Thursday, September 14, 2006

Memorize them (highly recommended) or put them on 3x5 index cards.  Both deliver a much better listening experience than having you breaking eye contact frequently.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no.

You can have a laptop display the same output the audience sees, but you can't view the notes on the screen while the audience views the presentation via the projector.

You can however, print the notes with each respective screen - not that this helps your predicament.

What will help is to know your material intimately. Never read from your slides - they should be no more than a prompt for each discussion point.

Good Luck
Marcus from Melbourne

I know its not the question you asked but check out Guy Kawasaki's pointers on presentations.

All the best.
2Cent

Yes you can, in fact we did this here the other day.

Your laptop needs to have a VGA output and a video card that supports being able to run this output as a second monitor. You then plug the VGA output into the projector and run the slideshow full-screen on this display. On your main laptop display you can just have Powerpoint running with your notes.

Works a treat.

Failing that just, er, print out the notes.

+1 for the Guy Kawasaki advice
iBanker

+1 iBanker -- it works great.  Never go back to doing it the old fashioned way.
D. Lambert Send private email

In PowerPoint2003 try:

Slide Show -> Set Up Show

Then click Show Presenter View in the Multiple monitors frame.

Note that, to make the dual-monitor setup work in the way described by iBanker, you can't just press the normal Fn-F5 or whatever to clone your screen on the projector.

You have to:
* right-click desktop
* select Properties
* select Settings
* click on the 2nd monitor
* click "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"

Then the dual-screen options will be enabled in Powerpoint:

* open your presentation
* click on the Slide Show menu
* select Setup Show...
* look at the Multiple Monitors section

Also beware - PageUp and PageDown scroll the notes in this mode, rather than changing slide. This breaks some presentation remotes which map Next and Previous to PageDown and PageUp, respectively. I don't know whether it's possible to change this.
Julian

Experience suggests it's not a bad idea to take along a couple of copies of your presentation in printed form, just in case.

Doody happens.
Bystander

"Yes you can, in fact we did this here the other day."

It's nice to learn something new. Thanks.
Marcus from Melbourne

The dual-screen technique works well with Power Point presentations. I found a nice application note here:
http://www.productmarketing.com/productmarketing/magazine/1/2/presnotes.asp

However you may have problems if you need to demonstrate an application with this setup. In many cases, the application will open dialogs on the wrong screen, and you find yourself constantly dragging windows from the laptop to the projector.
Jacques
Friday, September 15, 2006

>In many cases, the application will open dialogs on the wrong screen, and you find yourself constantly dragging windows from the laptop to the projector.<

Then just set the projector as primary, right?
chloraphil Send private email

Here's a detailed article, with screenshots, about how to set this up:

http://michaelhyatt.blogs.com/workingsmart/2005/01/powerpoints_pre.html
DriverMax - backup your Windows drivers now

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics