* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

European Shareware/mISV conference, November, Cambridge,UK

European Shareware Conference
Sat/Sun 4th and 5th of November 2006 in Cambridge

http://www.euroconference.org/
(also reachable from: http://microisv.eu/ . As the term 'Shareware' fades, mISV seems to be filling the gap)

I am thinking about going to the this conference. Has anyone else booked?
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, August 03, 2006

Haven't booked yet, but I have been thinking about going.
Gavin Bowman Send private email

I have been at the Euroconference two years ago in Strasbourg.
Very interesting and very friendly.

As I was beginning, it was very informative and all the sessions were presented by people working in a micro-isv.

Worth the price for me.
Michael Mathy Send private email

Would you take advice from a marketing organisation whose site looks like 1996 nephew art.
And the organisers need to either proof read the schedule, understand am-pm, or just use 24 hour clock.
Martin Send private email

150 Euros for the conference + plane ticket + hotel room ==
it does seems a bit too much for my pocket and the schedule of the conference.

I will just purchase Bob Walsh book for the moment

I'm not an ISV and don't even have a product idea yet,
it may not worth be the travel for me
NightBlogger

The site isn't great. But to be fair it is run by a non-profit organisation and they may not speak English as a first language. Hats off to them for taking on such a thankless task in the first place.

It is the people going/speaking that is the key issue for me.

Sorry - I assumed it was a computer show exhibitions company, on 2nd look it is a volunteer organisation.
Is it just seminars or are companies exhibiting as well?

Didn't know about it. It's especially good that its on a Saturday.

I'd like to go though. I might see you there. I think I owe you a beer or 2 from the last JoS meetup in London.
Justin Send private email

>I think I owe you a beer or 2 from the last JoS meetup in London.

(assuming you are referring to me) I graciously accept. ;0)

There is a 20 euro reduction if you book by 31-Aug-06.

The hotel is a bit pricey, but there is plenty of cheaper accomodation in Cambridge.

Hi Andy,

I'm going.  My first time at one of these events.  Know one or two people involved so since it is in Cambridge thought why not, could be interesting.  Be good to meet up with you if you decide to go.
Marcus Tettmar Send private email

There is a huge new travel lodge at the cattle market  (near the statsion - about 20 mins walk) which usually has very cheap weekend rates.
Martin Beckett Send private email

cattle market sounds about right for a travel lodge.

Especially as for the last 20 years the only thing on the site was a fairly run down nightclub.

ps. If you're going to Cambridge in November wear something warm!
Friday, August 04, 2006

We were looking at this last night and it looks interesting enough that we may actually go along.

Don't let the poor site design put you off - mome of the topics being discussed look pretty interesting, and the registration fees are far lower than most other conferences.

Cambridge is also a pretty good place to visit. :)
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Friday, August 04, 2006

Damn fingers - for "mome" read "some" LOL. :)
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Friday, August 04, 2006

I'll be there, too although I haven't booked yet. It's the first time for me.
Andrea N. Send private email
Friday, August 04, 2006

This will be my fith one, the first where I'm talking.

It's defintely worth it, not just for the sessions but also the evening events. I always come away with a list of things I should be working on to improve business.
Tony Edgecombe
Friday, August 04, 2006

I'm going to be there talking about Project Glidepath and Microsoft uISV evangelism.
Michael Lehman Send private email
Friday, August 04, 2006

Thank you everybody for your comments. We are very much looking forward to all of you. And very much including Martin, who I assume is German, because the actual mistake he is referring to  (quote: "And the organisers need to either proof read the schedule, understand am-pm, or just use 24 hour clock.") happened on the German site, where there were German time expressions (17:00 ) parallel with 3.p.m...

As a German-American those "mixtures" of both languages occur to me from time to time. While I was living in the USA I made mistakes in my German, so please excuse this "shortcoming" of my nature <smile>.

And concerning the site: Well, Martin you must have a talented nephew. Since I assume that he was a young boy in 1996 by now (2006) he should probably have different looking sites now..? I would really enjoy looking at your site Martin to learn more. But you did not leave your URL nor your email.

And one last thing: " volunteer organisation".
Yes we are volunteers for the sake of the software/shareware/trial-ware MicroISVs.
We enjoy what we are doing - without earning for it as a non-profit organisation, do you think a compulsory status would be better?

Again - I love to receive critical (and positive) comments on you, suggestions are always welcome. We are not perfect, just human. Talk to me in this forum, by email or come to Cambridge to see how an enthusiastic volunteer looks!
David Boventer Send private email
Saturday, August 12, 2006

David,

Barring disasters, I will be at the conference. Hope to meet you then.
Sunday, August 13, 2006

Welcome, Andy and all others.
See you soon.
David Boventer Send private email
Sunday, August 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics