* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Virtual or Dedicated hosting?

Sorry for bringing the hosting meme again, but can't make up my mind.

In my former corportate life, I have access to a dedicated server where I can touch all things in the (windows) server (IIS, Com+, etc) to make things work.

I want the same level of flexibility, but not the management costs.

I can find a dedicated hosting for $99 a month, but this seems a little expensive until my mISV take off.

What do you think about getting a $29 virtual hosting? Any recommendations?
edddy Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Well it rather depends on your website, the level of traffic  it's expecting, the security required, and how intensive the server-side processing is.  Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you didn't mention the extent to which these issues apply to your mISV.

Getting a dedicated server seems very wasteful unless you're sure you're going to need it.  If you think you might need it in a year, why not wait till then?
MB Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

VPS are great for starting.  If you grow up you can just migrate to a bigger VPS or finally to a dedicated server.

forumtrackr is hosted at rimuhosting.  Great service at great price.  Very happy with them to date.
/A Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

As others have said, VPS is usually fine.  Make sure that you pick a GOOD host.  Depending on your product, you may need this or that programming language.

I would tell you that RimuHosting is pretty good, as is Kattare.  We use both.  We also have a client who ended up with a dedicated account at OLM, and I would do everything you can to stay away from them.

Most hosts (including those above) will help you upgrade along the way, so you can start small and upgrade as you need to.

Good luck.
Anthony Presley Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Thanks Anthony and /A, but RimuHosting is only linux, and I need a Windows Server (developing in .net).

I'll look into Kattare, but smells linux as well.
edddy Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

We use lucidweb, it has been good so far.

Main thing for us was phone support.
Dont know much about web hosting.
the Other Vince
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Some dedicated host actually run your dedicated server as a VPS anyway so they can run Linux as the core OS and then host Windows Server within the VPS.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Vince: did you mean liquidweb?
Anon: I know that, but they have to support installing windows in to of virtuosso (the OS supporting the virtualizing)
edddy Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

edddy, the cheapest .NET virtual hosting I have seen so far is ServerIntellect ($99/month).  Haven't actually used them yet so can't vouch for their service, but they seem to get good things said about them.  Where did you get the $29/month quote from?  That sounds almost too cheap.
Chitlin
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

eddy, yes I did mean liquidweb. Typo.

Not sure if they support Windows VPS, we use their default offering.
the Other Vince
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

If you want to touch your own stuff, get a static IP (business class cable or DSL). In my area it's about $70 for a static IP with 2 megabits upstream, 5 megabits down. Then you can run your own server.
Dave
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I use RackForce.com.  I currently pay $59.00/mo for a Windows VPS (dds200-W). I have been happy with them so far, roughly 8 mo. so far.
AnonyMouse
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I spent some time looking into this about a year ago, you can read the results at http://www.ubercode.com/how-to-find-a-web-host.html . I also found the http://whreviews.com/ (web host reviews) site to be an impartial source of info.
Bill Rayer Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

www.serverpronto.com provides dedicated servers for what seems to be really cheap prices.  I have a dedicated server (Debian) with them that costs me $30 dollars a month.  I see that the provide options for Windows OSes at for a slight extra charge per month.
Connor Berry Send private email
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I use server pronto for a fully dedicated server and they have been fantastic.
Tim Weiler
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

go here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

it's been around for a couple of years and there are a lot of good posts about about webhosting and virtual/dedicated servers.
Justin Silverton Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Thanks to all the replies, now the searching begins.
edddy Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

"Then you can run your own server."
Dave: $70 + server hardware + UPS + licencing + headhached, no thanks.

AnonyMouse: I'll look into it

Bill: Your post is nice, but your needs are much more basics than mine

Connor: $30? that low? Do you use it?

Justin: thanks for the links
edddy Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics