* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Launching Blog Chronicling My Experience with uISV

Hideho everybody.  Thanks so much for the help the other day.  I'm plugging along on my program and on target to launch this weekend.  Given that my entire project is going up to started and "completed" (and I use the term loosely) in a week, I thought I would write down my experiences in blog form.  Maybe years from now somebody will be wondering "Hey, can I actually do this" and some success stories will help convince them to make the plunge.  (I admit I was: one of several factors that convinced me that this endavor would not be throwing a way a week of WoW time was a post I found in the archives here about a score-keeping program for some shooting sport, which was done on a similar time scale.)  Or they might learn from my mistakes, or at least benefit from a couple hours I spent researching, e.g., payment processors. 

The blog is here: http://microisvjournal.wordpress.com .  There's a couple of posts up, covering the minutie of setting up a business (web hosting, site design, search engine optimization, Google AdWords, payment processing), and my experiences getting out a tiny project on a shoestring budget ($60 or bust!). 

Note that my product appears nowhere on it, for a couple of reasons.  Its not done yet, and I'm sure "Hey, I've got software and am selling it!" interests approximately none of you.  Particularly software designed for a K-8 teacher.  But you might be interested in what its like to be the tiniest minnow (with delusions of eventual guppy-hood) in a very large pond.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email
Monday, June 26, 2006

I am really sorry, but your blog looks like a "blob" of ASCII character, randomly group together. I couldn't get myself reading beyond the 1st paragraph.

Perhaps friends and family would love to read it, but for the rest of us, I don't see much value to it. It is so full of "I did this...", "than I did that..." bla bla bla...
anon Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

>your blog looks like a "blob" of ASCII character, randomly group together

Eh? Are we looking at the same page?
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I think 'anon' was exaggerating a bit, with the 'blob of Ascii' comment.

It could be said that the page layout is a bit plain, and the text could do with a few more paragraph breaks to make for easier reading.
Heather Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Good luck.

One comment though. If it's a very lightweight app with < 1000 lines of code, then SURELY you could have implemented in a language that is more customer-friendly-to-install than Java??
Adam M(UK) Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This X business is dull as all get-up.

" I figured the teacher had to be mistaken, since X wouldn’t be hard to do with a program, so I checked around the Internet.  For about an hour.  And there are just no good options for doing X, anywhere. "

Let us know when you launch and I'll come back and read about it.
Lenny
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What a miserable bunch of comments!  I had no problems reading your blog, and I find your approach very interesting because I am one of those people that want to over-analize everything before I start. I look forward to reading the rest of the weeks's happenings.  Good luck.
Harvey
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Good Luck Patrick!  Although I'm not sure how I feel about these "speed businesses" (can a quality product that is worth paying money for be taken from design to market in a week?) it will be interesting to see what your product is and how it does.  Keep us posted when it's actually released!
Phil Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

One wonders if this is an actual uISV or yet another in a long line of people writing about being a uISV.  There seems to be far more writing about it than actually doing it.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Patrick, I think this is great. I've been inspired in the same way by some of the articles around here - especially the 1 week development cycle that Brian Plexico had.

I've decided to do it a little bit differently, though. Since this is primarily for fun (low-risk, low-reward) I decided to lay a few ground rules:

o - I would start in earnest when I have at least 4 product ideas (I do, BTW).

o - Each product must be developed in under 7 days.

o - The days can and will be non-consecutive (this is for fun / no pressure).

o - Website(s) will use open source templates (oswd.org).

o - I will only use existing or free graphics

o - Development tools or 3rd party controls will only be purchased if I planned to do so anyway for main product development.

The bottom line is, these are meant to be fun side projects that I can do in a short time. They can also serve as marketing experiment test beds. I probably won't blog about them while I'm doing them, but I will publish post-mortems.

> One wonders if this is an actual uISV or yet another
> in a long line of people writing about being a uISV.
> There seems to be far more writing about it than
> actually doing it.

There is a certain amount of uISV buzz going on right now. What I think is interesting is reading about what worked, what didn't, and why. For example, I'm interested in Patrick's going down the road less traveled - choosing Java to develop with. One hopes for his success because the mainstream thinking is so limiting and an iconclast is a welcome change.

P.S. Go Beavers!
Nick Hebb Send private email
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hideho guys.  Things are coming along according to schedule and I've been updating the blog with something akin to a religious fervor.  I've unveiled the product's description and the website, in addition to talking through a bunch of my design decisions (such as what I crippled and why).  Link to the blog is the same as before and if you'd like you can find my product from the sidebar there.
Patrick McKenzie Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics