* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Adwords conversion rate

I am new to Google adwords and signed up about a month ago. Until this date I received 53 clicks but no sale yet. I was wondering what the average conversion was, when do I start  pointing the problem back to my site or product and make changes to feature set, sales copy etc?

Thanks,
Erhard
Erhard Smit Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ben Mc Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

You've provided one data point out of many, making it difficult to provide you with any meaningful feedback.

53 clicks seems really low for one month. How many impressions are you getting in a month? What's your CTR? Are you targetting all the right search terms? What % have downloaded the trial? How does this compare to non-AdWords traffic?

There are so many other questions that can be asked. Read Dharmesh Shah's article on the subject:
http://onstartups.com/Home/tabid/3339/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/648/StartupsWhyYourSoftwareIsNotSelling.aspx
Nick Hebb Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Dang. We're becoming an inbred community - all linking to the same stuff. :-)
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I believe industry average conversion rates are around 1%. But it can be higher or a lot lower, depending on how good your site/product is and how targetted the traffic is. 53 clicks in a month is nothing. In my experience you need hundreds or thousands of keywords to get anywhere with Adwords.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ben & Nick - different url's. Who is being tracked? or am i just paranoid?
paranoid
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Evade
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

now i just feel stupid.
Thanks ;)
paranoid
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The rule of thumb in most scenarios is about a 1% conversion depending on lots of little factors.  With some modifiers you can get this as high as 4% but it can drift as low as 0.1% just as easily.
KC Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Thanks for the advice.

The impressions on the keywords I selected is 40, 484 and the CTR is 0.16%. This comes from only 6 keywords. What are the advice here, increase the keywords to get more impressions? Improve the look-and-feel of the ad? Please have a look in google on keyword: task automation

Has anyone had real success from Adwords? Are there other mediums except for download sites etc to advertise that are more effective?

Thanks,
Erhard
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Nick/Ben:  Thanks for providing the link to the article on software selling.  This was precisely why I wrote it (figured that I was repeating myself over and over again, so figured it'd be easier for everyone just to have an article I could point people to).

Strange that the two URLs are different.  Must be something in the software.  Little things like this bother me.  Will go find it and fix it.
Dharmesh Shah Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A clickthrough rate of 0.16% sounds pretty bad.

But your ad doesn't look like there's anything obviously wrong with it (this isn't to say that it couldn't be better).

I'm sure you could improve your CTR but it's possible that's the CTR for your market in general is pretty low: some audiences are more inclined to ignore sponsored links than others.

A few months ago I read the Perry Marshall book on AdWords, on the advice of a few on this forum.  If you want to achieve better results with AdWords you might want to check it out.

A couple of suggestions for things to try:

- Different ads for different keywords: your ad for Task Automation looks OK for Task Automation, but it wouldn't work so well if you're using it for other keywords too.  You ideally want to get the search keywords in the title of your ad.  This means that for lots of different keywords you need lots of different ads.

- Try different ads (set it so that Google alternates them with your current ads - this way you can see which gets a better CTR, and drop the worse one).  Perry Marshall calls this "split-testing", and recommends it as a way to continuously improve your CTR.  Try different approaches in the ad.  Try mentioning the free trial, perhaps?

If the above two suggestions are news to you you'll probably get a lot out of reading the book.

Good luck!
MB Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

1. "task automation" is a really broad key phrase. You're probably lowering your AdWords Quality Score by showing a bunch of irrelevant impressions. A lower Quality Score will lower your position and increase your CPC.

2. You're coming in at #6 when I did the search. Position 6 will put your result right around the fold on a 1024x768 monitor (which makes up 45% of my visitors). I saw a big drop-off in CTR from 5 to 6 in my testing. You can set adwords to aim for specific positions. try playng with that to see if your results change.

3. Is that your only ad blurb? Have you tried different ones for different key phrases, such as [email task automation], [server task automation], [sql task automation], [IT task automation] (and variations such as [automate email tasks], of course). Then, with each of the different search terms, change the ad blurb to match.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I would consider 0.16% CTR very low. And you'll almost certainly need >100 keywords to get any reasonable number of clickthroughs. Use Google and other free keyword tools to come up with more.

Plenty of other sound advice above.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

If I were you, I'd take each of the many possible tasks your product automates and advertise it separately, as if it were a product designed specifically for that single purpose. I might be wrong and maybe there are many people looking for ONE software product that does ALL of the stuff your software does, but I'd urge you to target all those who need SOME of the stuff and therefore are not explicitly searching for "task automation" but rather for "file monitor", "PDF report creator", "send SMS software" etc.

At least give it a try for a week if all else fails.

Once you found out which wording works and which doesn't, add your product to download.com. AdWords are useful particularly for testing such stuff.
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

How many people download it to try ?
Oleg
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I cannot tell really how many people tried to download it from Google Adwords, but over the period about 35 downloads. How many downloads more or less could result in a sale?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Isn't your program rather like "crontab for windows". At least you get more related search results with that search phrase. Your website is cool, BTW.
Handyman
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thanks MB for suggesting Perry Marshals book, I bought the book and launched a new ad campaing. The CTR jumped to over 2% from the previous 0.16%. Now sale yet but I know that more qualified clicks are comming in now.

Thanks!
Erhard
Friday, June 16, 2006

Wow, that's a huge leap in CTR!  Please give us all a summary of the changes you made to get that result.

Oh, and well done!
MB Send private email
Friday, June 16, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics