* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Slow Summer Sales

From my experience, sales seem to slow in the summer for ISVs.  Has anyone else experienced slow summer sales?  What can be done (if anything) to improve summer sales?
Rick
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Depends what field you are in. I noticed a slump in tech traffic over the last month - the number of stories dugg on dig, and the number of responses to slashdot stories dropping tells me people are outside having fun instead of plunking on the computer.
Steve Wiseman Send private email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

>>Depends what field you are in.

Software/Shareware

>>people are outside having fun instead of plunking on the computer.

Yes, so what have you tried to increase summer sales?
Rick
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Best bet might be to offer "outdoor" products for hand-held devices. However, the weather shouldn't guide the big decisions, whether in biz or politics...  ;)
Philipp Schumann Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I sell mainly to business and find from this point on to the end of August is slow.

This is fine because I don't want to be doing much work when it's nice outside.
Tony
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Don't forget it's not summer everywhere.  Time to concentrate on sales down under and get on the case of your Antipodean resellers!
Marcus Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

The past 3 Summers I lose my mind as I see a ton of peopel jumping ship and new customer acquisition slow down. I used to think it was becuase I myself was slacking off, but it really is a seasonal thing. Now, I know there are certain times of the year when I get a good amount of customers coming in. Fall and late Winter after the holidays. Who'd a thunk it?

Now I use the Summers as a huge feature development phase rather than a marketing one.
Shannon [PayLoadz] Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Yep, we've always seen the same thing.
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I've seen this in products that target both consumer and enterprise customers.
The corollary is that you probably shouldn't launch a product or do a major release/update from late spring to early fall.  Nobody will be online to read your press releases or see the mentions and reviews you might get.
If your schedule slips to mid summer, then wait for the end of August.  Otherwise your marketing effort and dollars will be less effective.
newb uISV Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

boy, talk about a timely thread.

"I sell mainly to business and find from this point on to the end of August is slow. <snip>"

i think it depends on several things:

my experience in b2b software sales for the past 21 years (from frontline salesguy to vp ww sales, dev tools & enterprise stuff) is that from (roughly) now through the end of june should be your biggest sales period ytd.  generally speaking, i think this is true due to most corporations intent on using their h1 budgets and / or committing to projects that need to be fully implemented by q3 or year end.

of course, this assumes that you've got (1) a download / pipeline to work from and (2) salespeople who are actively **selling** (building value-based customer relationshipos) vs just taking orders.  but even with order-taking teams (basically the isv is a software vending machine) you may well also realize some end of h1 budgetary spending benefit.

my experience is that things slow down in july, then fall off the cliff through the last week or so of august, then start to pick up again for moderate q3 and finally a strong year-end finish.

this has been true in each of the isv's i've worked for, as well as the clients who have come to me over the past couple of years.

that said, i accept that YMMV.
hal
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I have some interesting charts/graphs that reflect Google searches going down during "most" of the summer weeks.  I have argued that we NOT spend much of our marketing budget during the summer as well due to this trend.  If you sell to Europe at all August is a HUGE holiday month - the entire German country takes August as a holiday.  No kidding - different EU countries take different weeks/months so that they can travel to other EU countries and have everything open.

Anyone interested in charts/graphs to show your superior can e-mail me.  I will, of course, remove anything that might reflect my company and/or give anything away from my industry.
Al B. Send private email
Wednesday, May 24, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics