* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

SSL certificates

Our SSL certificate is up for renewal.  Verisign is asking an astouding $1600 for 2yr, 128-bit cert.  There seems to be a lot more competition now then a few years back.  Xramp has a promo for 3yrs for $256.  http://www.xramp.com/xrampssl/index.asp Quite a difference.  Anyone used Xramp before?  Any other recommendations/thoughts?
Phil
Friday, September 10, 2004

Verisign is insane. I guess they have enough stupid customers that don't pay attention to make it worth it to them.

We're using GeoTrust QuickSSL. $129/year for the renewal.
Joel Spolsky Send private email

Yeah, same goes for their domain registrations - way overpriced :-/

Check out GoDaddy: http://www.godaddy.com/

They have SSL certs for $29.95/yr. (I think they might be on sale right now, because I seem to recall they were charging $49.95/yr before, unless they just lowered their price.)
Edward Livingston Send private email

I like GeoTrust, aka "Equifax" since its cheap and it's root cert is intalled on alot of browsers.

It actualy gets better as time goes by and older browsers fade away.

I know Joel mentioned $149 as the price, but you can get it for $49 from Ev1 servers.

http://www.ev1servers.net/english/quickssldetails.asp

Exact same cert and everything, just cheaper.
anon-88

A lot of canadians are happy with easydns. Not sure if they do certs.
Li-fan Chen Send private email

mb Send private email

Tell Verisign that you're looking at other SSL vendors.  They'll come down.  Maybe even match someone else's price (not likely, but maybe...)

That $1600 is for the people too lazy/stupid to negotiate with them.

If they don't budge?  Well, there's a lot of other people who want your business.  Just pick one that has a link to a root certificate that's already installed in your customer's browser.
example Send private email

I thought I remembered that part of the price of a Verisign SSL was insurance through Lloyds or something like that.  Looking on the website it doesn't mention that though.  It looks like you're just paying for brand name price inflation. 

godaddy's setup seems to work fine.  They use their own cert and it works IE and other browsers.
double_dark Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics