* The Business of Software

A community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

WinZip Disclosed Sales Figures

Sometimes when I refer to the great opportunity of selling software through the internet, I refer to Winzip as a good example. Most people say that they may not be selling much, because of a number of reasons (XP ZIP support, freeware competitors, still works after expired). It's nice to know that they have annual revenues north of 20 million.

Never subestimate the power of enterprise licenses.

http://asharewarelife.com/

How much money did WinZip and Paint Shop Pro make?

Since Corel wants to be a public company, it now has to report the revenues!

Revenues of WinZip Computing (WinZip)
2003 - $25,259,000
2004 - $24,928,000
2005 - $22,700,000

Note that the revenues for WinZip are for a shareware product with no time out - just a nag screen.

The entire prospectus is here
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/890640/000095012306004189/y16028fv1.htm
Mauricio Macedo Send private email
Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Interesting info!  Always wondered.  Their sales model is a tough one to make money at, but obviously they did!
Joshua Mueller Send private email

...And WinZip is based on open source (BSD) code!
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

I'd be curious to know more about the company, when it started, how many people work there, etc.
Fred

That is remarkable sales.

This reminds me much like the pdf market. There is a zillion free utilities to build pdf output.

In fact, my software has both pdf ability, and WinZip ability. Both features where added to my software due to free libraries on  the net.

So, my software can create a pdf file, and then zip it up…(and, I don’t even install a pdf printer driver to do this!!).

Yet people still pay for zip…even with the feature built into windows….

A Great success story here. There is a lesson here for sure....

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
Albert D. Kallal Send private email

"Both features where added to my software due to free libraries on the net."

Albert, aren't you always predicting doom from open source?  Seems that your use of it is at odds with that position.

Those are company revenue figures, not sales figures. How much did WinZip make from licensing and other income as opposed to shareware income?
Bill

>Albert, aren't you always predicting doom from open source?  Seems that your use of it is at odds with that position.

Doom? Gloom? No…but hardship and reduction of opportunism in our industry…yes…

Actually, in both of my cases I would have gladly paid for the libraries I use!!!

And, in fact, neither of the products I used are actually open source anyway, and some libraries were actually not supplied with all source code. A fellow MVP created the pdf software and allowed me to use it. (however, that is MOOT to me!)

I have software running on Linux boxes in different countries around the world as I write this. This does not change the fact *either* way that some open source products are, or are not hurting our industry.

And, if you do look above numbers closely, the trend for WinZip does seem to be downward. Not exactly a good sign…..especially when the last few years represent RECORD shipments of computers.

The figures for WinZip are impressive DESPITE the fact of growing number of free alternatives. Worse, the trend still seems to be downward for a product in a market of growing size and computer shipments…

People pay next to nothing for WinZip (I have an old registered version…what was it $12). Despite this small affordable price, the trend is still downwards?

Likely, WinZip will continue to shrink, and be another causality of this process in 10 years.

To me, this is the EXACT kind of gem of a small company that charges LITTLE for their product and makes great money.

Further
  * consumers gladly pay for it
  * it is pocket change…..
  * can make the owners millions

It is not the huge multi-national companies I am worried about here..

It is really sad to see that the marketplace seems to be disappearing for those “small few man” companies that can make great money on a product without inflicting pain on consumers.

That is not doom and gloom…but it sure is sad to see….

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com

"The figures for WinZip are impressive DESPITE the fact of growing number of free alternatives."

Actually, as far as I know, there are no growing numbers of free (as in open source) alternatives to WinZip.

"Despite this small affordable price, the trend is still downwards?"

The problem here is that Microsoft integrated zip functionality into Windows.  It's no longer necessary for the average person to download (and pay) for WinZip.  They used to have a mass market appeal (everyone needed an unzip tool) but now they have a power-user market (those that need or want better than the built-in version).

The downward tend doesn't surprise me at all.  Clearly once Microsoft entered their market with a free tool they'd begin to lose out.  And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with open source / free software.

I heard that WinZIP is actually just a front-end to the old pkzip, which I guess they must have got for free. So broadly speaking, all the company does is just put on a nice GUI, but little technical experience is involved behind the scenes. Is this true? If so, that's a great business they built simply by making an interface for an existing tool.
Simon Send private email

What about WinRar? I use it for .rar and .tar.gz files.
Umair Send private email
Thursday, April 13, 2006

"The problem here is that Microsoft integrated zip functionality into Windows."

Except it sucks big-time. Put any decent sized zip files in a folder and wait and wait and wait as explorer hangs (and hence the whole PC). I always get rid of it.
el
Thursday, April 13, 2006

WinZip has become a synonym for "file compression" in PC world. When someone say they need to "zip" the file, they actually mean to "WinZip" it. Built-in Windows compression and other free tools will continue to take share of WinZip users, but it will take several years until people forget about WinZip as primary compression tool.
And all that just because WinZip was one of the first in the market and had an easy to use interface. Integration with right-click menu in Exporer had also very positive effect. And when your company needed a compression tool, which one would you buy? Of course WinZip, which you used at home and which expired for 2 years ago but still worked.

Is it possible to repeat the success of WinZip in these days? Yes, if you are lucky and get free coverage from TV and newspapers. And your software must be free. "Skype" software is the latest example, but I guess they were just lucky and picked the right nisch at the right time.
Andrei K
Thursday, April 13, 2006

WinZip started as a front end for PKZip, however it is now a front end for the open source library Info-ZIP: http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/
rhys Send private email
Thursday, April 13, 2006

never UNDERESTIMATED how stupid using the wrong word can make you look.
Anonymous
Thursday, April 13, 2006

that funny i think i just proved my point
Anonymous
Thursday, April 13, 2006

and again by not saying thats
Anonymous
Thursday, April 13, 2006

I believe Microsoft licensed dynazip for its built-in Windows ZIP functionality. Anyone care to confirm?
Stephane Rodriguez
Thursday, April 13, 2006

>The problem here is that Microsoft integrated zip functionality into Windows.

I tend to agree with this point. Unfortunately this debate got sidetracked here since I mentioned I used a  free zip/unzip library in addition to some pdf code. Not what I wanted to do to this fine thread!!

WinZip is still near the generic term used in our industry. I had not given the company ever much thought…and not sure which direction I would take that company if I owned it right now.

Regardless, it is rather impressive success story….

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com
Thursday, April 13, 2006

>I believe Microsoft licensed dynazip

Yes...I heard the same.....
Thursday, April 13, 2006

Before this PK of PKZip fame made millions and wasted his life away.

InnerMedia says on their site that MS licensed the DynaZip library in XP from them. Has anyone else noticed that there's a bug in the extraction wizard? When you click the final button on the wizard to initiate the extraction the button is left active and not disabled. Clicking again attempts to restart the extraction, which of course throws an error.
--Josh Send private email
Thursday, April 13, 2006

That finally confirms that Microsoft licensed dynazip implementation : MS support KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272996

dzip32.dll and dunzip32.dll are dynazip run-time dlls.
Stephane Rodriguez
Friday, April 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics